Popular Mechanics Shop Tips

  • k3hx@juno.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 28, 2005
      Recently came across Popular Mechanics Shop Tips for 1943 and 1947.

      Great stuff, lots of tips, some would make OSHA faint dead away.

      Where can I get more?

      How many years were these publications made?

      Tim Colbert K3HX

      Now includes pop-up blocker!
    • Bill Hardin
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 28, 2005
        I recently bought the set, 26 volumes, 1905 to 1930, from Lee Valley Tools,
        29,000 entries. I'd like to find a set from 1931 on. Link to site is
        http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?page=42563&category=1,46096,46131&ab
        spage=1&ccurrency=2&sid=
        You can buy one book or all. As an extra, they also have the index to all,
        512 pages for about $12. For those interested, I acquired the reprint
        rights to this series, and have started putting those related to lathes on
        my web site under Hints & Tips. At the current rate, I will never get them
        all up there, but there are a bunch.

        Bill Hardin
        http://www.homeshopsupply.com
        Craftsman 109 Lathe Support

        Recently came across Popular Mechanics Shop Tips for 1943 and 1947.

        Great stuff, lots of tips, some would make OSHA faint dead away.

        Where can I get more?

        How many years were these publications made?

        Tim Colbert K3HX

        Atlas-Craftsman Projects list is at

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • nynjjoe@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 28, 2005
          Have a few from the 40"s bought at at a estate sale.

          nynjjoe

        • mikehenryil
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 28, 2005
            Wait long enough and you can get a full set on Ebay at prices
            rangeing from a few bucks to over $25 each for the early editions.
            I've never seen a comprehensive list, but it looks like they were
            published from 1905 to around 1960, maybe a bit later.

            The most interesting ones for Atlas/Craftsman fans seem to be those
            from the mid 40's to the mid or late 50's. Sam brown seems to have
            written quite a few articles featruring the Atlas mill and shaper.

            Mike

            --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "k3hx@j..." <k3hx@j...>
            wrote:

            > Recently came across Popular Mechanics Shop Tips for 1943 and 1947.
            >
            > Great stuff, lots of tips, some would make OSHA faint dead away.
            >
            > Where can I get more?
            >
            > How many years were these publications made?
            >
            > Tim Colbert K3HX

            > Now includes pop-up blocker!
            > Only $14.95/month -visit http://www.juno.com/surf to sign up today!
          • Buckshot
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 28, 2005
              Some really handy related stuff was available in "yearbook" form from one of
              the publishers during WW II.

              I have one around here somewhere. It has a lot of basic stuff in it for
              getting farm boys and rosie the riveter up to speed on the machines they
              were encountering for the first time.

              Going to have to dig that book out and see exactly what it is.

              Buckshot

              > Wait long enough and you can get a full set on Ebay at prices
              > rangeing from a few bucks to over $25 each for the early editions.
              > I've never seen a comprehensive list, but it looks like they were
              > published from 1905 to around 1960, maybe a bit later.
              >
              > The most interesting ones for Atlas/Craftsman fans seem to be those
              > from the mid 40's to the mid or late 50's. Sam brown seems to have
              > written quite a few articles featruring the Atlas mill and shaper.
              >
              > Mike
              >
              > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "k3hx@j..." <k3hx@j...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Recently came across Popular Mechanics Shop Tips for 1943 and 1947.
              > >
              > > Great stuff, lots of tips, some would make OSHA faint dead away.
              > >
              > > Where can I get more?
              > >
              > > How many years were these publications made?
              > >
              > > Tim Colbert K3HX

              > > Speed up your surfing with Juno SpeedBand.
              > > Now includes pop-up blocker!
              > > Only $14.95/month -visit http://www.juno.com/surf to sign up today!

              > Atlas-Craftsman Projects list is at

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Bill Hardin
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 1 6:15 AM
                The new reprints at Lee Valley are $5.95 per volume from 1905 to 1930. The
                26 book set is $129, just under $5 per year. Average over 200 pages per
                book.

                wrote:

                > Recently came across Popular Mechanics Shop Tips for 1943 and 1947.
                >
                > Great stuff, lots of tips, some would make OSHA faint dead away.
                >
                > Where can I get more?
                >
                > How many years were these publications made?
                >
                > Tim Colbert K3HX

                > Now includes pop-up blocker!
                > Only $14.95/month -visit http://www.juno.com/surf to sign up today!

                Atlas-Craftsman Projects list is at

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • mertbaker
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 1 8:18 AM
                  Bill, I'll keep your site in mind if I should ever decide to refit my 109
                  0702. I'm very much interested those old PM reprints, tho'; could you give
                  me a URL for Lee Valley?
                  Mert

                  MertBaker@...