Re: [atlas_craftsman] re: Metalcraft Screw Cutting Lathe circa 1933

  • Paul A. Cigal
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2005
      Rex, Here's a pic. Paul C.
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Rex Burkheimer" <burkheimer@...>
      To: <atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, January 31, 2005 10:20 PM
      Subject: [atlas_craftsman] re: Metalcraft Screw Cutting Lathe circa 1933

      > Got a picture?
      >
      > Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:48:15 -0000
      > From: "dibgib39" <paul@...>
      > Subject: Metalcraft Screw Cutting Lathe circa 1933
      >

      > Does anyone know of a collectors group on the internet that may be
      > interested in purchasing this lathe? It was sold by Sears
      > originally. I bought it thru a machine tool broker from the first
      > buyer's family. It's all original, no replaced parts, no broken
      > parts, no wear on the surfaces, very little use. Thanks for your
      > help. Paul C. in CT

      > Atlas-Craftsman Projects list is at

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Buckshot
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2005
        Paul C.,

        You CAN NOT attach a picture to a message on this board.

        You can only post it in the pictures section.

        Buckshot

        > > Does anyone know of a collectors group on the internet that may be
        > > interested in purchasing this lathe? It was sold by Sears
        > > originally. I bought it thru a machine tool broker from the first
        > > buyer's family. It's all original, no replaced parts, no broken
        > > parts, no wear on the surfaces, very little use. Thanks for your
        > > help. Paul C. in CT

        > > TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THE LIST:
        > >
        > > Atlas-Craftsman Projects list is at
        > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlas_craftsman_projects/
        > >
        > > To see or edit your personal settings, view the photos, files or links
        > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlas_craftsman/
        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > Atlas-Craftsman Projects list is at

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Paul A. Cigal
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 2, 2005
          Rex, I think I'm getting the hang of this website. The photo's there.
          Paul
          > Does anyone know of a collectors group on the internet that may be
          > interested in purchasing this lathe? It was sold by Sears
          > originally. I bought it thru a machine tool broker from the first
          > buyer's family. It's all original, no replaced parts, no broken
          > parts, no wear on the surfaces, very little use. Thanks for your
          > help. Paul C. in CT

          > Atlas-Craftsman Projects list is at

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • dibgib39
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 4, 2005
            I'm trying to document the origin of a nearly new condition
            Metalcraft lathe, circa 1933. This is what I know: The manual that
            came with the lathe says "Sold by Sears". Clausing Co. historian
            tells me that Atlas didn't make it. She thought it was sold thru
            Montgomery Ward. She said there were some copy cat companies back
            then, copying Atlas. An expert on old machinery thinks that the
            design is similar to Atlas. Does anyone have a copy of a 1933
            vintage Atlas parts manual that I may cross check part numbers to
            see if anything matches? This old lathe has parts cast from what
            looks like pot metal or similar. Does anyone know what this
            material is? Many thanks for all your help. I'm fascinated by the
            wealth of knowledge out there and thankful for the people who are
            willing to take time to share. My best to you all, Paul C. in CT
          • gto69ra4@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 4, 2005
              As far as I know, Metalcraft was a "off-brand" model of the late 9" Atlas
              machines. And yes, it was made by Atlas. Should have a bizarre all-belt
              "backgear" system for slow speed.

              Even if it didn't have a name you could find, the pot metal (and that's what
              it is, basically--trade name Zamak) is a clue. I think only Atlas and AA used
              it.

              GTO(John)

            • dswr@webtv.net
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 4, 2005
                You wrote:

                "Even if it didn't have a name you could find, the pot metal (and that's
                what it is, basically--trade name Zamak) is a clue. I think only Atlas
                and AA used it."

                As I understand it, pot metal contains lead and copper. Zamak,
                hopefully, contains no lead. (impurities, such as lead will cause the
                alloy to fail prematurely) Zamak has properties similar to cast iron.
                and if properly made stands up to use quite well (50 plus year old parts
                still going strong)

                The only beef I have with Zamak is you can't solder or braze it.

                Of course this is my 2 cents worth only. 8-)

                Leo (pearland, tx)
              • gto69ra4@aol.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 4, 2005
                  Thanks for the clarification. That's why I said it was "basically" pot metal.
                  Zamak is mosty zinc, aluminum, and copper. I think, depending on what source
                  you read, it also could has magnesium and/or lead for some applications. From
                  what I've heard lead being present (or in excess quantities) in earlier Atlas
                  parts is what caused them to turn into dust.

                  Regardless of what Atlas said, I have a hard time imagining how it compares
                  to grey iron. It doesn't wear terribly well and can either deform or break
                  easily under the right conditions.

                  GTO(John)

                  In a message dated 3/4/2005 1:46:27 PM Eastern Standard Time, dswr@...
                  writes:
                  As I understand it, pot metal contains lead and copper. Zamak,
                  hopefully, contains no lead. (impurities, such as lead will cause the
                  alloy to fail prematurely) Zamak has properties similar to cast iron.
                  and if properly made stands up to use quite well (50 plus year old parts
                  still going strong)

                  The only beef I have with Zamak is you can't solder or braze it.

                  Of course this is my 2 cents worth only. 8-)

                  Leo (pearland, tx)

                • Bill Hardin
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 4, 2005
                    My ultimate historian, Tony Griffiths, says:

                    Besides being badged as Atlas and Craftsman, some 9-inch "compound-drive"
                    lathes have been discovered as "Metalcraft Lathe" with a U.S. patent number
                    1909522 issued to one Mr. James G. Collins but assigned to the Atlas Press
                    Company of whom, presumably, he was an employee. Interestingly, the
                    Metalcraft has the straight-sided box-type bed feet identical to those shown
                    in the patent drawings and used on the Craftsman-badged version known as the
                    "Metalmaster"; they were completely different to the splayed feet shown in
                    the early Atlas catalogues.

                    Reference: http://www.lathes.co.uk/atlas/page18.html

                    Bill Hardin
                    http://www.homeshopsupply.com
                    Craftsman 109 Lathe Support

                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 4, 2005
                      I have to agree with you, GTO. If Zamak was close to cast iron, I'm sure
                      they would have made the bed (not the ways), as well as other large
                      parts out of it.

                      My knowledge of ZAMAK was derived from reading about it in model
                      railroad magazines. Lot's of mid 20th century era model loco parts were
                      made of the stuff, and some of it would crumble in the box.

                      The name came from the composition of the alloy
                      ZincAluminumMAgnesiumKuffer (copper).

                      Leo (pearland, tx)