chuck runout

  • slash5bmw
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 2004
      I have an Atlas 618 and it has quite a bit of runout on the chuck (surface parallel to bed).
      The face appears to be ok. I don't think it's the chuck. This particular chuck dones not
      have a backplate mount. It has a threaded insert that reduces the 16 tpi chuck to the 10
      tpi spindle. I thought that if I had another reducer, I could thread it onto the spindle and
      then cut the 16 tpi with the lathe and then thread the chuck on. In theory, this would give
      me a true adapter for the chuck. Unfortunatly, I don't have another reducer and I don't
      have the 20T and 40T gears required to cut the 16 tpi. Any ideas? Could the spindle have
      somehow become bent? It shows no sign of damage.
    • jim_popa
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 5, 2004
        Hi;

        You said: "I have an Atlas 618 and it has quite a bit of runout on
        the chuck (surface parallel to bed)."

        Chips or debris in the internal chuck thread can cause
        this.....Inspect thoroughly and use a pointed tool (such as a 90
        degree angle scriber) to chase the thread bottoms.....A small chip
        could be smeared tightly and throwing out alignment.....

        Someone at the local H S machine shop used compressed air to clean
        the lathe and managed to blow a cloud of chips into the 3-jaw
        scroll, giving it .021" TIR!.....Different problem than yours but it
        shows what stray chips can do in the wrong place.....

        Jim

        --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "slash5bmw" <slash5bmw@y...>

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 5, 2004
          I've been restoring the lathe and everything has been torn down and cleaned. I checked
          things a little more today and I have less than .001 runout on the spindle. I get the runout
          on the collar that screws onto the spindle. When the chuck is then screwed onto to this
          piece, the runout is amplified. This leads me to believe that the problem is with this
          threaded collar/adapter/insert (name unknown). I'm goint to buy a new chuck at Sear and
          see how it looks, but I'd like to fix the one I have. It has very little wear and other than the
          threaded insert, it's fine. I think I just need to make a new insert and that means getting
          the correct change gears somewhere. Anyone have an extra 20T and 40T?