Parts for Atlas horizontal mill

  • shawn2163
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30, 2004
      I am attempting to restore an Atlas Shaper and an Atlas horizontal
      mill.

      It would be nice if I could find a parts source aside from Clausing
      service center or find anyone in the group that may have extra parts
      they are willing to sell.

      Right now I need the mill's (Model MFC) motor base and motor pulley.

      I would greatly appreciate any help.

      Shawn
      Phoenix
    • rumutt
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 30, 2004
        Watch ebay. The motor pulley is the same one as used on a 10" Atlas
        lathe. I have seen several of them over the last month or so.
        The motor mount looks like the one used on a horizontal counter shaft
        Atlas lathe but the part numbers are different. Sure I am not sure.
        Look at this auction 3842603145.

        Bruce

        --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "shawn2163" <tehrani111@h...>
        wrote:
        > I am attempting to restore an Atlas Shaper and an Atlas horizontal
        > mill.
        >
        > It would be nice if I could find a parts source aside from Clausing
        > service center or find anyone in the group that may have extra parts
        > they are willing to sell.
        >
        > Right now I need the mill's (Model MFC) motor base and motor pulley.
        >
        > I would greatly appreciate any help.
        >
        > Shawn
        > Phoenix
      • shawn2163
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 30, 2004
          Bruce:

          Thank you so much for your observation, the picture of the motor
          base looks very similar and will work for my application. Manual
          pictures of the Motor pulley for the mill and 10" inch lathe look
          similar as well.

          My manual has the pulley as part number 10-428, I would be grateful
          if a lathe owner checked their manual to see if it is the same part
          number for the lathe.

          Unless anyone in the group has the lathe parts for sale, I am going
          hunting on ebay.

          Thanks,
          Shawn
        • gto69ra4@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 30, 2004
            That's the same number as the lathe pulley. If you have access to a lathe,
            you might just want to make your own. It's a pretty easy project.

            John

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 30, 2004
              It is the same part number for the mill motor pulley as the lathe.
              Clausing sells it as 10-428A which has the bushing (10-197) installed
              already instead of buying the pulley and the bushing seperately. Which
              you can do if you want to pay more for the same thing.

              And I found another motor mount on ebay. 3843052030

              Bruce

              --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, gto69ra4@a... wrote:
              > That's the same number as the lathe pulley. If you have access to a
              lathe,
              > you might just want to make your own. It's a pretty easy project.
              >
              > John
              >
              > In a message dated 9/30/2004 6:08:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              > tehrani111@h... writes:
              > Bruce:
              >
              > Thank you so much for your observation, the picture of the motor
              > base looks very similar and will work for my application. Manual
              > pictures of the Motor pulley for the mill and 10" inch lathe look
              > similar as well.
              >

              > My manual has the pulley as part number 10-428, I would be grateful
              > if a lathe owner checked their manual to see if it is the same part
              > number for the lathe.
              >
              > Unless anyone in the group has the lathe parts for sale, I am going
              > hunting on ebay.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Shawn

            • rigrac
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 30, 2004
                Shawn:

                When I was restoring my MFC which was missing that pulley as well as the
                double countershaft pulley I called Clausing and the Motor pulley was still
                available at about $80 and the woman I talked to said it was the same pulley
                used on the lathe although she did not specify which size lathe. The double
                Countershaft pulley was not available but I did purchase the factory
                drawings for it for $5 and made my own as well as my own motor pulley
                working from Machinery Handbook and using the formulas in it to work
                backward from spindle speeds posted on the mill speed chart.

                Ron
              • shawn2163
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 30, 2004
                  Ron:

                  Everyone has been very helpful. If I don't find a used one, making
                  a pulley would be a great beginner project for me. I have bought a
                  lot of equipment including a 9A South Bend, but haven't set anything
                  up yet.

                  Thanks to everyone for their input.

                  Shawn