Place to find new 3-jaw

  • Chris Allred
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 29, 2004
      I am in the market for a new 3-jaw chuck for my A/C 101-27430, where
      can one look to find one of these?

      Chris
    • jim_popa
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 29, 2004
        Chris;

        Did you get that threaded collar for your spindle, and more
        important, did it cure the problem?....

        I remember in earlier posts you said your lath was a 12" X 24, so
        I'm ASSUMING it has the 1 1/2 X 8 threaded spindle.....

        Years ago I bought a 6" Bison 3-jaw for my 10" atlas, and put it on
        the 12" I recently aquired.....Some folks thought it a bit large for
        the 10", but it was perfect as far as I was concerned.....Has 2-
        piece reversible jaws that fit TIGHT.....It's made in Poland, and
        remeinds me of German craftsmanship.....It's larger size seems to
        add stability to the lathe, since the atlas is a rather lightweight
        lathe.....

        It's pricey tho, about $270 from enco (part # 271-4155).....The one
        I actually bought was from victor machinery in New York, and I think
        it may be a little different than enco's.....I paid $280 back then
        and now their up to $316.....(part # TBC-5A)http://www.victornet.com

        I live in No. Cal., and enco's warehouse is just over the hill in
        Fernley, NV, so if I order early enough, it's here the next
        day.....Victor goes X-country, so it takes awhile.....

        Good luck, Jim

        --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Allred"

      • n8as1@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 29, 2004
          In a message dated 9/29/2004 5:37:23 PM Central Standard Time,
          jim_popa@... writes:

          > Years ago I bought a 6" Bison 3-jaw for my 10" atlas, and put it on
          > the 12" I recently aquired.....Some folks thought it a bit large for
          > the 10", but it was perfect as far as I was concerned.....Has 2-
          > piece reversible jaws that fit TIGHT.....It's made in Poland,

          i am running a 5 in bison w/ reversible jaws on my 12x36 ...also a GREAT
          chuck ...fitted the back plate 3 years ago , & it still has .00125 max tir
          .......( was actually afraid of the 30# + backplate 6 in chuck , apparantly
          unnecessarily ) ....got the 5 in. on sale for $112 + backplate .......;lowest price
          lately seems to be abt $144 ...ENCO ........wholesale tool had 4 in china
          chucks for $36 + backplate ....they are well made & i fitted three w/ under .0015
          tir ...hardened jaw& scroll ...........
          best wishes
          docn8as

        • Chris Allred
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 1, 2004
            Jim,
            I bought a spindle collar from N8as1 and am awaiting its
            arival. I am pretty sure that it is going to fix the problem, seeing
            how there isn't one on there now. The reason I ask about a new chuck
            is because I think that the jaws are worn out on the chuck I have
            now. It has the atlas stamp on the back so i assume that its the
            original 3-jaw. It also doesn't have reversable jaws and I would
            really like that. Thanks for the help and the leads on the chucks.

            Chris

            --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "jim_popa" <jim_popa@y...>