[atlas_craftsman] Slickey Stuff

  • tcaudle@vcacorp.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 10 10:03 AM
      do any of you guys know what they call the new high tech plastic material that you can put on the ways of machine tools? I have heard it mentioned. I want to reduce the friction on the ways of my Mill/drill prior to installing new zero backlash lead screws. Where can you get some information on the product? If any of you fine people have one of the Grizzly/Jet/Harbor Freight Mill/drills and would like a nifty electronic device to allow you to reset the head to zero when you raise or lower it let me know. I have it in HTML format with pictures and a schematic. Its easy to build.

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/atlas_craftsman
    • RGFord21@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 12 3:31 PM
        Hello,

        There is something called MOGOLEESE used to restore damaged ways.

        Gerry

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/atlas_craftsman
      • joekott1
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 14 1:36 PM
          I believe the stuff you are talking about is called Turcite. I think
          this is a brand name so there might be other terms for it. We have
          used it to rebuild the ways on some CNC machines where I work.

          --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, tcaudle@v... wrote:
          > do any of you guys know what they call the new high tech plastic
          material that you can put on the ways of machine tools? I have heard
          it mentioned. I want to reduce the friction on the ways of my
          Mill/drill prior to installing new zero backlash lead screws. Where
          can you get some information on the product? If any of you fine
          people have one of the Grizzly/Jet/Harbor Freight Mill/drills and
          would like a nifty electronic device to allow you to reset the head
          to zero when you raise or lower it let me know. I have it in HTML
          format with pictures and a schematic. Its easy to build.

          ----
          > eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/atlas_craftsman
        • Rolynn Prechtl K7DFW
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 14 1:42 PM
            > I believe the stuff you are talking about is called Turcite.

            http://www.mtsandtg.com/application.htm

            K7DFW

            ..._._
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 14 11:06 PM
              joekott1 wrote:

              >I believe the stuff you are talking about is called Turcite. I think
              >this is a brand name so there might be other terms for it. We have
              >used it to rebuild the ways on some CNC machines where I work.
              >
              >--- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, tcaudle@v... wrote:
              >

              >>do any of you guys know what they call the new high tech plastic
              >>

              >material that you can put on the ways of machine tools? I have heard
              >it mentioned. I want to reduce the friction on the ways of my
              >Mill/drill prior to installing new zero backlash lead screws. Where
              >can you get some information on the product?

              Turcite is a solid material made by Busak & Shamban, their US distributor is
              Interstate Plastics, at http://www.interstateplastics.com/meta/fmtur.htm
              I think they also have castable materials. now.

              But, there is also Moglice, which is cast in-place between the ways and
              the sliding
              part. Devitt Machine http://www.moglice.com/ is the distributor of this
              line
              of materials. they have about 6 different versions, from water-thin to
              putty that will
              stick to the underside of parts. They have a 20 or so page book
              detailing the applications,
              techniques, etc.

              I am going to do a large lathe carriage with Moglice in the next month
              or so.