Re: [atlas_craftsman] Replacing bearings

  • catboat15@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2004
      In a message dated 7/5/2004 11:09:29 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
      atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com writes:

      I am having difficulty getting a nice smooth finish on my facing
      cuts and my turning cuts do not have a smooth finish either

      The bearings can be replaced and many of us have done that. You can get the
      bearings from Clausing or take the numbers from the existing bearings and get
      replacements at your local bearing store. But, before going to that expense,
      check your tool grinds to see if a different shaped tool will smooth out your
      cuts. Also is your play in a radial direction (up and down or back and
      forth) or is the play in the fore and aft direction? If when you turn the spindle
      by hand can you make the adjustments to the spindle so that it is hard to
      turn? If not then you have missed something in the adjustment process. You bring
      the adjustments up too tight then back off (I don't remember the amount with
      out going out to the shop and getting my book out) If the bearings are
      noisy, or feel rough when you turn the spindle the bearings are shot, but if they
      have been lubed properly and the spindle turns smoothly by hand they should
      be OK. I know on our old lathes that we may be the second or third owner we
      have no way of knowing how well the lathe was maintained but be sure there is
      wicking in the oil cups so the oil is fed slowly as needed, not just running
      out the bottom as you put it in. The advantage of the taper bearings is that
      moderate wear can be adjusteded out and maintain the alignment of spindle and
      bed. The taper also means that play in both radial and lengthwise motion can
      be adjusted out. Personally I would go to all efforts I can before removing
      the spindle from the headstock under the theory that the less I bother working
      settings the fewer problems I would face.