Craftsman 6x18 Lathe

  • jim010703
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 29, 2004
      I'm replacing the headstock pulley and the ID of the bushing does
      not match the shaft OD. The new ID is .787 and the OD of the shaft
      is .812. The old pulley bushing ID measures .816.

      Do these need to be sized or did I get the wrong parts? I don't have
      a choice as the old pulley is shot and I think the fit is a little
      big. I could try to swap the busings, but this would not be my first
      choice.

      If it needs to be sized what would be the best method?
    • walnut_charlie
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
        The replacement bushing probably fits several applications. Bushings
        are usually meant to be pressed in and bored to size. This can also
        be done with an expansion reamer though boring is preferred.
        Walnut Charlie

        --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "jim010703" <jamespal@m...>

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
          Charlie,
          This makes sense. What would be a good setup for boring? I have a
          small mill drill available. I believe I can properly set the pulley
          in the bed. I will need to use some oak blocks. What kind of
          clearance should I shoot for? I might have to pick up an expansion
          reamer and do it that way.

          --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "walnut_charlie"

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
            The easiest way would be in the lathe but I'm guessing that your's is
            apart so a drill mill should work fine. Clamp the pulley down and
            indicate the inside of the bushing to find the center of it. Then
            you can use a boring head or a chucking reamer to take it to .001-
            .002 larger than the journal on the shaft. Make sure the surface on
            the shaft is OK before you size the bushing. An expansion reamer
            will work but it can be tricky getting the size correct. If you go
            the expansion reamer route, take very light cuts and and adjust the
            reamer small amounts on each pass through the bushing. Also use oil
            to lube the reamer.

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004

              wrote:
              > Charlie,
              > This makes sense. What would be a good setup for boring? I have a
              > small mill drill available. I believe I can properly set the pulley
              > in the bed. I will need to use some oak blocks. What kind of
              > clearance should I shoot for? I might have to pick up an expansion
              > reamer and do it that way.
              >
              > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "walnut_charlie"
              > <walnut_charlie@h...> wrote:
              > > The replacement bushing probably fits several applications.
              > Bushings
              > > are usually meant to be pressed in and bored to size. This can
              > also
              > > be done with an expansion reamer though boring is preferred.
              > > Walnut Charlie
              > >

              > > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "jim010703"
              > <jamespal@m...>
              > > wrote:
              > > > I'm replacing the headstock pulley and the ID of the bushing
              does
              > > > not match the shaft OD. The new ID is .787 and the OD of the
              > shaft
              > > > is .812. The old pulley bushing ID measures .816.
              > > >
              > > > Do these need to be sized or did I get the wrong parts? I don't
              > have
              > > > a choice as the old pulley is shot and I think the fit is a
              > little
              > > > big. I could try to swap the busings, but this would not be my
              > first
              > > > choice.
              > > >
              > > > If it needs to be sized what would be the best method?
            • dkosciusko2
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 5, 2004
                wrote:
                > I'm replacing the headstock pulley and the ID of the bushing does
                > not match the shaft OD. The new ID is .787 and the OD of the shaft
                > is .812. The old pulley bushing ID measures .816.
                >
                > Do these need to be sized or did I get the wrong parts? I don't have
                > a choice as the old pulley is shot and I think the fit is a little
                > big. I could try to swap the busings, but this would not be my first
                > choice.

                I also had to replace the bushings on my Craftsman. The Craftsman
                spindle and the bushings are a different size than the Atlas. You
                can buy the correct size bushings and make the job much simpler. The
                bore in the pulley was just a little too large for the correct
                bushing and Loctite was required.