Craftsman 618 live center

  • Steve B.
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2004
      How rebuildable are the little live centers for the 618?

      It looks like the bearing is simply pressed into a sleeve, and then center
      is pressed into the bearing....

      Does anyone have any insight into this?

      I have a pair of centers, one is quite messed up, the other is like new. I
      want to put a new bearing in the ruined one, and then build a new point with
      a longer nose for small diameter work

      Before I get going on this I thought I'd consult with the list

      Thanks,

      Steve B.
      Oregon
    • azbruno
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2004
        --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Steve B." <belagus@c...>
        wrote:
        > How rebuildable are the little live centers for the 618?
        >
        > It looks like the bearing is simply pressed into a sleeve, and then
        center
        > is pressed into the bearing....
        >
        > Does anyone have any insight into this?
        >
        > I have a pair of centers, one is quite messed up, the other is like
        new. I
        > want to put a new bearing in the ruined one, and then build a new
        point with
        > a longer nose for small diameter work
        >
        > Before I get going on this I thought I'd consult with the list
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Steve B.
        > Oregon

        Steve, could you post the results of this project. I'd be interested
        to hear how it went. I have a similar need.

        -Bruno
      • Bob May
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2004
          That is about the size of it. Pull the center free and then you should be
          able to pull the bearings out of the shell.
          Bob May
          http://nav.to/bobmay
          bobmay@...
          NEW! http://bobmay.astronomy.net