3-Jaw Chuck Problems

  • Aaron
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 5, 2004
      I recently picked up a 109.20630 lathe that was my wife's
      grandfather's. I think he used it to turn brass most of the time
      while working on clocks.
      I'm not sure if the motor is original, but it does work. I
      plugged it in and the motor/lathe turn fine. All the pieces seem to
      be there and in working order.
      Now my problem...it has a 3-jaw chuck. I don't know the proper
      names for all the parts so bare with me. The chuck is the kind with
      the big ring on the backside that you turn to open/close the jaws.
      (It seems to me that the chuck had a 383.... number on it but I
      don't have it in front of me at the moment). Anyway, when I turn
      the ring to open the jaws, they won't open all the way. It seems to
      hang up. I can work it back and forth and eventually get it to open
      a little more, but it's a slow process.
      I did manage to work it all the way closed one time, but can't get
      it all the way open. Right now it has about a half turn slack in
      the ring that I can work back and forth. Is the chuck no good?
      Could it have something in it? (there were a lot of brass shavings
      on the lathe when I picked it up).
      I guess I need to know what to do. Any suggestions would be
      great. I didn't try sticking a rod into one of the holes in the
      ring and really trying to turn it hard...I didn't want to mess
      anything up.
      Thanks.
      --Aaron--
    • LouD31M066@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 5, 2004
        Assume crud is responsible. Force more likely to make things worse than
        better.
        If you can remove and set in coffee can of solvent for a while you may find
        things
        vastly better. Dissassembly and clean out with toothbrush and clean solvent
        will
        ( here is where you get to use the throw away aluminum roaster pans you saved
        from Thanksgiving.) When you reassemble pay attention to match numbers on
        chuck and jaws. It is important that each jaw is in proper slot in correct
        orientation.
        SOLVENT does not mean something like gasoline or carbon tetrachloride...the
        most vigorous I would ever use or recommend would be K 1 kerosene and then
        only
        to set outside with the plastic lid on coffee can for an extended soak. After
        use you
        can decant liquid and filter thru funnel into empty plastic motor oil
        containers and
        ..use to clean and lube yard tools in Spring.
        On the other hand you might just place chuck in dishwasher and dial to super
        pot scrub cycle...and look real innocent when asked about oily smell on dishes
        for next
        100 meals or so!
        Louis

      • mertbaker
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 5, 2004
          My diagnosis is that the chuck is clogged with chips. Probably never used
          with the jaws open very far, so the chips accumulated. With it off the
          lathe, see if there aren't 3 screws that hold it together. If so, remove
          then & clean things up.
          Mert

          MertBaker@...
          > I recently picked up a 109.20630 lathe that was my wife's
          > grandfather's. I think he used it to turn brass most of the time
          > while working on clocks.
          > I'm not sure if the motor is original, but it does work. I
          > plugged it in and the motor/lathe turn fine. All the pieces seem to
          > be there and in working order.
          > Now my problem...it has a 3-jaw chuck. I don't know the proper
          > names for all the parts so bare with me. The chuck is the kind with
          > the big ring on the backside that you turn to open/close the jaws.
          > (It seems to me that the chuck had a 383.... number on it but I
          > don't have it in front of me at the moment). Anyway, when I turn
          > the ring to open the jaws, they won't open all the way. It seems to
          > hang up. I can work it back and forth and eventually get it to open
          > a little more, but it's a slow process.
          > I did manage to work it all the way closed one time, but can't get
          > it all the way open. Right now it has about a half turn slack in
          > the ring that I can work back and forth. Is the chuck no good?
          > Could it have something in it? (there were a lot of brass shavings
          > on the lathe when I picked it up).
          > I guess I need to know what to do. Any suggestions would be
          > great. I didn't try sticking a rod into one of the holes in the
          > ring and really trying to turn it hard...I didn't want to mess
          > anything up.
          > Thanks.
          > --Aaron--

          > Atlas-Craftsman Projects list is at

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Aaron
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 5, 2004
            I'm almost afraid to ask this for fear of being banned from the
            group forever, but how do I go about removing the chuck? I
            attempted to join the other yahoo group which I *think* focuses a
            little more on the 109., but have yet to be accepted....I think they
            have a manual I can download. But for now, I have no manual and I
            don't want to screw something up.
            Thanks again for the replys so far.
            --Aaron--

            --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "mertbaker" <MertBaker@p...>
            wrote:
            > My diagnosis is that the chuck is clogged with chips. Probably
            never used
            > with the jaws open very far, so the chips accumulated. With it
            off the
            > lathe, see if there aren't 3 screws that hold it together. If so,
            remove
            > then & clean things up.
            > Mert
          • mertbaker
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 5, 2004
              Aaron, the chucks on 109 lathes are screwed on to the spindle with a 1/2-20
              or 1/2-26 or something thread. JUst lock the spindle by pinching the belt
              on the pulley, and using a lever on the chuck jaws, turn it off to the left.
              (RH thread)
              Mert

              MertBaker@...

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 5, 2004
                Sounds easy enough. I'll give it a try tonight. Hopefully I won't
                break anything.

                wrote:
                > Aaron, the chucks on 109 lathes are screwed on to the spindle with
                a 1/2-20
                > or 1/2-26 or something thread. JUst lock the spindle by pinching
                the belt
                > on the pulley, and using a lever on the chuck jaws, turn it off to
                the left.
                > (RH thread)
                > Mert
                >
                > MertBaker@p...
              • Dick Farris
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 5, 2004
                  Aaron.
                  If its a non-modified 109, the spindle is 1/2" x 20 thread, to which the
                  chuck screws onto. Standard right-hand thread.
                  I usually grab the v-belt with my left hand , squeeze the belts together to
                  sort of lock the spindle, grab the chuck with my right hand and unscrew it.
                  Now, if its frozen onto the shoulder, then you may have to use some solvents
                  and or rust busters and a bit of extra persuasion. What ever you do,, don't
                  put too much side thrust onto the spindle as they are a bit delicate and you
                  may " bend " it, so don't hammer on anything around the chuck and spindle
                  nose. Let us know how you make out.
                  Dick
                  Toledo
                • x xx
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 5, 2004
                    If you're the chap with the chuck that adjusts with a rotating disk at the back rather than by keys, then try a strap wrench, like an oilfilter wrenc around the chuck body. Get some WD40 in the spindle threads and try some gentle persuation with the wrench after the WD40 has had some time to work.

                    If that doesn't work, you'll need to jam the spindle while you tap (gently) on the wrench. Work away at it patiently. Eventually it will give.

                    If not, it'll be "plan B time" and you come back and let us know.

                    Sam

                    wrote:
                    > My diagnosis is that the chuck is clogged with chips. Probably
                    never used
                    > with the jaws open very far, so the chips accumulated. With it
                    off the
                    > lathe, see if there aren't 3 screws that hold it together. If so,
                    remove
                    > then & clean things up.
                    > Mert

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    To visit your group on the web, go to:

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 5, 2004
                      Ok, I've got the chuck off. Now, what should I do to free up the
                      chuck? I still can't rotate the ring freely to move the jaws all the
                      way in and out? Shouldn't I be able to rotate the ring to move the
                      jaws all the way out and free from the chuck?
                      Someone mentioned soaking the chuck in some kind of solvent? Is
                      this the next step? Should I try spraying some wd40 or the like in
                      and around the jaws and letting it sit a while?
                      Thanks.
                      --Aaron--

                      --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Farris" <rfarris@b...>
                      wrote:
                      > Aaron.
                      > If its a non-modified 109, the spindle is 1/2" x 20 thread, to
                      which the
                      > chuck screws onto. Standard right-hand thread.
                      > I usually grab the v-belt with my left hand , squeeze the belts
                      together to
                      > sort of lock the spindle, grab the chuck with my right hand and
                      unscrew it.
                      > Now, if its frozen onto the shoulder, then you may have to use some
                      solvents
                      > and or rust busters and a bit of extra persuasion. What ever you
                      do,, don't
                      > put too much side thrust onto the spindle as they are a bit
                      delicate and you
                      > may " bend " it, so don't hammer on anything around the chuck and
                      spindle
                      > nose. Let us know how you make out.
                      > Dick
                      > Toledo
                    • Ronald R Brandenburg
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 5, 2004
                        Remove the back plate, clean, inspect, lube, and put it back together if
                        it's in good shape.

                        Ron...
                        Craftsman Commercial 12" X 36"
                        '78 Honda CB750K
                        Fort Worth, Texas
                        Ron_SSSS@...

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 5, 2004
                          Chances are you have a build up of chips glued in place by years of oxidized
                          oil.
                          Easiest way I know of to cure is to soak in a solvent and swish it around to
                          loosen
                          and remove enough of this crud to allow disassembly. Clean, oil and
                          reassemble
                          taking care to replace the movable jaws in number(or maybe letter) matched
                          positions facing in or out as appropriate. You may be able to get by with a
                          good
                          soaking and swish followed by a spray lube.
                          Note: prior user may have improperly assembled jaws into the chuck so look
                          for
                          match marks of some sort on both jaws and chuck. 3 jaw chucks often have two
                          sets of jaws for holding either inside or outside (of say a cylinder). Be sure
                          you
                          have all of one set or the other when trying to reassemble.
                          Most likely cause of problem is crud in way of internal mechanism which
                          should
                          be easily cured by cleaning with or without disassembly (preferred). There
                          are as
                          many products and methods to clean as there are breeds of dogs and variations
                          thereof.
                          Louis

                        • Dick Farris
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 5, 2004
                            Aaron,
                            I think I would try to flush the gunk, goop, chips ?? out in a parts washer.
                            Shoot the spray into every hole and crevice around the jaws that I could.
                            Move the jaws a bit and keep doing.it. Look at the back of the chuck - is
                            there a way to take it apart? If so, disassemble and flush.
                            Lightly lube and reassemble.
                            If no parts washer, then soak in pail of kerosene, and next day slush it up
                            and down vigorously. Gently move jaws in and out. Flush some more.
                            Dick