Re: Atlas 10-F timken headstock bearings

  • pandacpl
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2003
      --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "tomin130" <tjinks@t...>
      wrote:
      > Here are the numbers.
      >
      > 16150: Big Cone
      > 16284B: Big Cup
      > 14125A: Small Cone
      > 14276B: Small Cup
      >
      > Any good bearing supply place should be able to get these for you,
      at
      > a fraction of what they would cost ordered from Clausing.
      >
      > Tom
      Go to NAPA, they carry Timken bearings and cups, they do in my home
      town.
      I will write the part numbers down, and ask my wife if they make
      these bearing # at the Timken plant where she works.
    • Richard Meredith
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 1, 2003
        Before you buy bearings, you might want to look into tolerance classes.
        Tapered roller bearings with the same part numbers are often made to several
        tolerance classes for different applications. In Timken bearings, the
        smaller the tolerance class number, the more precision the bearing, and the
        higher the cost. Automotive bearings are intended to run loose at speeds of
        around 1500 or less. You want spindle bearings to run tight (practically no
        end play) at these speeds, or higher. Spindle bearings are usually class 3
        or better (sometimes much better). The tolerance class controls how closely
        the rollers are matched to each other, and how close the inner and outer
        race tapers are matched to the rollers. the tighter the bearing is run, the
        more important this becomes. A bearing set that costs $10 or $15 for an
        automotive application, may cost 4 or 5 times that much (or more) in a
        tolerance class for machine spindle applications. Foreign made bearings, or
        bearings made in the US by off shore companies use an ISO scheme for bearing
        tolerances, and must be cross referenced to the American Standard system
        used by Timken. If you buy your bearings from a reputable bearing supply
        house, they should be able to help you out with the correct selection.

        > > Any good bearing supply place should be able to get these for you,
        > at
        > > a fraction of what they would cost ordered from Clausing.
        > >
        > > Tom
        > Go to NAPA, they carry Timken bearings and cups, they do in my home
        > town.
        > I will write the part numbers down, and ask my wife if they make
        > these bearing # at the Timken plant where she works.

        > Atlas-Craftsman Projects list is at

      • Greg B
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 1, 2003
          Yep, those are the numbers I get too. If I remember right though, the
          cups were expensive because the extra flange made the a "specialty"
          type. But that was before I learned not to buy any bearing
          from "Applied Industrial Technologies" AKA "King Bearing". Now I
          order everything from "Motion Industries". Of course I go through the
          company account at work so that may be the reason that things are
          cheaper now.
          Greg B.
        • Damon Gentile
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 2, 2003