Re: [atlas_craftsman] Motor controller

  • dswr@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2003
      Jerrod, you wrote:

      "But, if there is any interest, it can be further developed and posted.
      It uses components available from Digi-Key, etc, so that isn't a
      problem."

      I would be very interested in your design. Do you have a schematic, and
      a layout design?

      Leo (pearland, tx)
    • donh213502000
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2003
        --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, dswr@w... wrote:
        > Jerrod, you wrote:

        Dear Jerrod:

        I'd like a schematic also if you have one you can post or Email.

        > "But, if there is any interest, it can be further developed and
        posted.
        > It uses components available from Digi-Key, etc, so that isn't a
        > problem."
        >
        > I would be very interested in your design. Do you have a
        schematic, and
        > a layout design?
        >
        > Leo (pearland, tx)
      • Ernest Lear
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 2003
          I'm Also interested and would also like to see your schematic of your design
          of an motor speed controller

          . I,m thinking of making a few changes to my model 10F-36 Atlas and I would
          like to vary the speed from 28-3000RPM(2072 at the moment) and still using
          the back gears to keep the 2 speed ranges (High & Low) but vary the speed
          electronically within each range. Also while I'm at it, use Poly-V
          Belts/Pulleys instead of the noisier V belts and the ganged pulleys sets now
          used. With speed control electronically these will become redunant. This
          will mean that I will have to look at the complete re-design of both the
          spindle and the countershaft at the same time. Not a bad idea. This is
          becoming interesting as I might be able to make a new complete replacement
          headstock of a more modern design. Any ideas?
          Regards
          Ernest

          > "But, if there is any interest, it can be further developed and posted.
          > It uses components available from Digi-Key, etc, so that isn't a
          > problem."
          >
          > I would be very interested in your design. Do you have a schematic, and
          > a layout design?
          >
          > Leo (pearland, tx)

          > Atlas-Craftsman Projects list is at

        • jerdal
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 1, 2003
            No layout in a compatible format.....I suppose that would be a requirement
            ....some delay for that......I probably should add the IR comp too, as an
            option at least.

            It does not have provisions for field weakening for wound field motors, but
            there is no reason that could not be done. But, so many motors these days
            are PM that it seems hardly worth it. And many have base speeds near 5000
            rpm, leading to much less need for it. And few motors likely to be found are
            really suitable for it

            The classic machine tool speed control is the Monarch 10EE, either the older
            tube type or the newer "modular" type. Both incorporate field weakening to
            increase the speed from the ~1400 rpm base speed to ~4000 rpm top speed,
            armature voltage control, and IR compensation.

            Jerrold

            > "But, if there is any interest, it can be further developed and posted.
            > It uses components available from Digi-Key, etc, so that isn't a
            > problem."
            >
            > I would be very interested in your design. Do you have a schematic, and
            > a layout design?
            >
            > Leo (pearland, tx)

            > Atlas-Craftsman Projects list is at

          • paul_probus
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 3, 2003
              Jerrold,

              If you can print out the schematics, you can make a pdf file of them
              using FinePrint PDF Factory (Pro). I have no connection to the
              company, I use their software and like it. They have a trial version
              that can be downloaded from their website, the only difference
              between the trial and the full (that I can determine) is that they
              put a "Made by PDF Factory Pro trial version, please visit (whatever
              their web address is)" (or something to that effect) on the bottom of
              each sheet of the file for the trial version. Perhaps PDF is not the
              preferred format, but it would allow the schematics to be available
              to the group.

              I guess I should also say that I would like a set of schematics, too.

              Paul

              --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "jerdal" <jerdal@b...> wrote:
              > No layout in a compatible format.....I suppose that would be a
              requirement
              > ....some delay for that......I probably should add the IR comp too,
              as an
              > option at least.

              <Snip>
            • briansquibb@vx800.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 3, 2003
                I have a full copy of Acrobat - if you sent me the document I will make
                a PDF for you

                Brian

                links http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlas_craftsman/

                > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
              • Bob May
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 3, 2003
                  Jerrold, what schematic capture program are you using for the drawing. I
                  may have something that will read it as I have several of the programs.
                  I'll also note that if you have a display capture program, you can always
                  capture the screen and that will produce a GIF image that you can then send
                  out.
                  Bob May
                  http://nav.to/bobmay
                  bobmay@...