Re: [atlas_craftsman] Motor controller

  • jerdal
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 31, 2003
      I have a design which has been used on a different machine type with a "2HP"
      DC treadmill motor from American Science and Surplus.

      It is good for 90-100V PM DC motors. We used it on a heavy-duty pottery
      wheel, where speed and power are important but speed regulation is not as
      critical. Therefore we have not implemented IR compensation as of yet,
      although it does have standard voltage feedback.

      But, if there is any interest, it can be further developed and posted. It
      uses components available from Digi-Key, etc, so that isn't a problem.

      Any work with high voltage power electronics is dangerous, so I do have some
      hesitation in proposing to post it in case some folks might get in over
      their heads....and get knocked on their butt, or worse.

      Jerrold
    • dswr@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2003
        Jerrod, you wrote:

        "But, if there is any interest, it can be further developed and posted.
        It uses components available from Digi-Key, etc, so that isn't a
        problem."

        I would be very interested in your design. Do you have a schematic, and
        a layout design?

        Leo (pearland, tx)
      • donh213502000
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 2003
          --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, dswr@w... wrote:
          > Jerrod, you wrote:

          Dear Jerrod:

          I'd like a schematic also if you have one you can post or Email.

          > "But, if there is any interest, it can be further developed and
          posted.
          > It uses components available from Digi-Key, etc, so that isn't a
          > problem."
          >
          > I would be very interested in your design. Do you have a
          schematic, and
          > a layout design?
          >
          > Leo (pearland, tx)
        • Ernest Lear
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 1, 2003
            I'm Also interested and would also like to see your schematic of your design
            of an motor speed controller

            . I,m thinking of making a few changes to my model 10F-36 Atlas and I would
            like to vary the speed from 28-3000RPM(2072 at the moment) and still using
            the back gears to keep the 2 speed ranges (High & Low) but vary the speed
            electronically within each range. Also while I'm at it, use Poly-V
            Belts/Pulleys instead of the noisier V belts and the ganged pulleys sets now
            used. With speed control electronically these will become redunant. This
            will mean that I will have to look at the complete re-design of both the
            spindle and the countershaft at the same time. Not a bad idea. This is
            becoming interesting as I might be able to make a new complete replacement
            headstock of a more modern design. Any ideas?
            Regards
            Ernest

            > "But, if there is any interest, it can be further developed and posted.
            > It uses components available from Digi-Key, etc, so that isn't a
            > problem."
            >
            > I would be very interested in your design. Do you have a schematic, and
            > a layout design?
            >
            > Leo (pearland, tx)

            > Atlas-Craftsman Projects list is at

          • jerdal
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 1, 2003
              No layout in a compatible format.....I suppose that would be a requirement
              ....some delay for that......I probably should add the IR comp too, as an
              option at least.

              It does not have provisions for field weakening for wound field motors, but
              there is no reason that could not be done. But, so many motors these days
              are PM that it seems hardly worth it. And many have base speeds near 5000
              rpm, leading to much less need for it. And few motors likely to be found are
              really suitable for it

              The classic machine tool speed control is the Monarch 10EE, either the older
              tube type or the newer "modular" type. Both incorporate field weakening to
              increase the speed from the ~1400 rpm base speed to ~4000 rpm top speed,
              armature voltage control, and IR compensation.

              Jerrold

              > "But, if there is any interest, it can be further developed and posted.
              > It uses components available from Digi-Key, etc, so that isn't a
              > problem."
              >
              > I would be very interested in your design. Do you have a schematic, and
              > a layout design?
              >
              > Leo (pearland, tx)

              > Atlas-Craftsman Projects list is at

            • paul_probus
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 3, 2003
                Jerrold,

                If you can print out the schematics, you can make a pdf file of them
                using FinePrint PDF Factory (Pro). I have no connection to the
                company, I use their software and like it. They have a trial version
                that can be downloaded from their website, the only difference
                between the trial and the full (that I can determine) is that they
                put a "Made by PDF Factory Pro trial version, please visit (whatever
                their web address is)" (or something to that effect) on the bottom of
                each sheet of the file for the trial version. Perhaps PDF is not the
                preferred format, but it would allow the schematics to be available
                to the group.

                I guess I should also say that I would like a set of schematics, too.

                Paul

                --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "jerdal" <jerdal@b...> wrote:
                > No layout in a compatible format.....I suppose that would be a
                requirement
                > ....some delay for that......I probably should add the IR comp too,
                as an
                > option at least.

                <Snip>
              • briansquibb@vx800.net
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 3, 2003
                  I have a full copy of Acrobat - if you sent me the document I will make
                  a PDF for you

                  Brian

                  links http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlas_craftsman/

                  > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                • Bob May
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 3, 2003
                    Jerrold, what schematic capture program are you using for the drawing. I
                    may have something that will read it as I have several of the programs.
                    I'll also note that if you have a display capture program, you can always
                    capture the screen and that will produce a GIF image that you can then send
                    out.
                    Bob May
                    http://nav.to/bobmay
                    bobmay@...