Re: [atlas_craftsman] Digest Number 1611

  • catboat15@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2003
      In a message dated 9/3/2003 9:00:36 AM Pacific Standard Time,
      atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > "A relieved center would simplify the facing
      > operation."

      Also sometimes called a "half center". It is a center that has had most of
      one side cut or relieved away, leaving only part of the point. The use allows
      you to get a tool right up to the center drilled portion of your work piece.
      Without having access to a relieved center to face the tail stock end you can
      grind up a tool (advantage here for HSS) that will allow you to face almost to
      the center, leaving only a small pip to file off.
      John in the high desert of California
      12 inch Atlas
      Mini Mill
      Rusty file

    • catboat15@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2003
        In a message dated 9/3/2003 9:00:36 AM Pacific Standard Time,
        atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com writes:

        > Figured out the tailstock
        > setover and turned the taper for MT1 between centers. (It measures
        > damn close and fits the tailstock with no wiggle, or binding.)

        Congratulations, Turning a good morse taper is not easy using tailstock set
        over. I hope you measured the fit by scribing a line down the center with
        chalk and giving it a twist. If everything is hunky-dory the chalk will be rubbed
        off the full length of the center.