Threading charts, JPEG, etc.

  • Frank Evan Perdicaro
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 25 10:26 AM
      A threading chart is a table with numbers in it. Usually it is
      just an interation of a few gear interactions.

      The actual information content is quite small. So a JPEG image
      is about the worst way to represenet the information.

      Why not just write a small PostScript program to print out the
      gear chart and send it as a message? The PostScript would be small,
      ASCII readable and could be sent as a message. It might take an
      hour to make, but not much more than that.
    • Bill Aycock
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 25 1:46 PM
        At 10:26 AM 6/25/2003 -0700, you wrote:

        > A threading chart is a table with numbers in it. Usually it is
        > just an interation of a few gear interactions.
        >
        > The actual information content is quite small. So a JPEG image
        > is about the worst way to represenet the information.
        >
        > Why not just write a small PostScript program to print out the
        > gear chart and send it as a message? The PostScript would be small,
        > ASCII readable and could be sent as a message. It might take an
        > hour to make, but not much more than that.

        Why don't YOU write it- I'm sure the rest of us will be very appreciative.
        Bill-618 (2)

        Bill Aycock - W4BSG
        Woodville, Alabama

      • Bob May
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 26 10:36 AM
          Why not do it as some moderatly formatted ASCII text? That will be a lot
          smaller than even the bloated PDF format!
          Bob May
          http://nav.to/bobmay
          bobmay@...
          NEW! http://bobmay.astronomy.net
        • twowhels
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 28 6:51 AM
            --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Bob May" <bobmay@n...> wrote:
            > Why not do it as some moderatly formatted ASCII text? That will be
            a lot
            > smaller than even the bloated PDF format!
            > Bob May
            > http://nav.to/bobmay
            > bobmay@n...
            > NEW! http://bobmay.astronomy.net

            because I don't know what that is and I would never beable to open
            it. LOL LOL
          • x xx
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 28 7:29 AM
              Bob May:

              I'm in the same boat a "twowheel", and I pretty much want to remain there, since I dislike the arcana of computer manipulation intensely. I wan't my computer to "just do it", so I can think about interesting stuff. The furtherst reaches for me is setting up a spreadsheet and knocking the result into a wordprocessor (quatro-pro and wordperfect respectively - okay, go ahead and laff!) so, given that, how would I go about posting a table to the group?

              Sam

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 28 7:30 AM
                Bob May:

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 28 2:12 PM
                  Chart from a spreadsheet.

                  Item 1 Dim 1 Result 1
                  Item 2 Dim 2 Result 2
                  Item 3 Dim 3 Result 3

                  I did the above by making a spreadsheet with the 3 lines of the three
                  columns. Then I took and put that to the clipboard by highlighting it and
                  copying it. Put that into the word processor and put the "chart from" line
                  on there and finally copied all of that to this email.
                  I could have also saved the document with the "Save As" function of saving
                  to a DOS text document and that would have made the document with minimal
                  formatting (fixed space text with no font changes, etc.) of just the spaces
                  and carriage returns in the document. Any word processer can then pick that
                  file up and display it. If the ultimate user wanted to, he could also have
                  ended up doing font changes before printing to suit his fancy.
                  I will note that if you keep asking questions like this, you will start
                  being asked by others to fix their computer so be careful! <G>

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 29 12:49 PM
                      wrong!
                      He just thinks that he rules but computer stuff is obselete rather rapidly
                      and one of these days the Linux people will finally get their act together
                      and there will be an alternative to windoz.
                      I'll note that we now have 2GHz machines because the software has gotten so
                      bloated that a machine needs to run that fast just to keep up.
                      FWIW, my lates machine is a 1/4GHz one and I am doing telescope lens design
                      on it. It actually goes fast enough that I am having to work to keep up
                      with its calculations. Back in the '70s, the general mini-computer took
                      overnight to just do the calculating that was needed to do the work. Now it
                      only takes seconds and I get to watch it work on the display screen!

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 30 10:50 AM
                          For me, the Osborne was a later more mature computer. In my work, I've had
                          to work with computers from the early '70s where mini-computers and so forth
                          were the norm.
                          It ain't that I love computers but they are a tool that I tend to use a lot
                          with things such as this communication. At work, programming chips, drawing
                          schematics and other such things that computers do in the engineering
                          enviroment are what I end up using them for.