[atlas_craftsman] Lead screw halfnut

  • Ken Cutt
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2000
      Hi , new to this group . I have a 12 inch Craftsman and I need a new
      half nut . I know that Clausing sells parts . Does anyone here have one
      for sale ? Has anyone tried to make one , say out of brass or some
      other metal . Would this work ? I do not have mine out so I can't tell
      yet and I would prefer to keep my lathe running in the mean time . If
      anyone has puchased one , maybe they could give me a ball park price
      from Clausing . I am searching through the old posts here to see if it
      has come up but you guys have generated a lot of posts , so it will
      take me a while . Thanks in advance .
      Ken Cutt
    • Chas Bader
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2000
        Ken- I think the half nuts are made out of "pot metal/Zamak" which is an
        alloy of 12%Al and 88% Zn and some trace elements. It is not a simple
        round shape, so it is die-cast. If you were to make one out of stock, you
        would have to cut a lot of material away. If you are serious about making
        one(have way more time than money), I would cast one. Dave Gingery
        describes casting an aluminum (or pot metal) half-nut in his book #2 in a
        series titled "How to build a machine shop from scrap". You may purchase
        the book over a secure e-commerce site set up by Lindsay Books. The
        benefit of pot metal is that it is a low-temperature alloy. It also is
        easy on your leadscrew- sacrificial, if you will.

        www.lindsaybks.com
        Charlie
        At 02:12 AM 3/1/00 -0800, you wrote:
        >Hi , new to this group . I have a 12 inch Craftsman and I need a new
        >half nut . I know that Clausing sells parts . Does anyone here have one
        >for sale ? Has anyone tried to make one , say out of brass or some
        >other metal . Would this work ? I do not have mine out so I can't tell
        >yet and I would prefer to keep my lathe running in the mean time . If
        >anyone has puchased one , maybe they could give me a ball park price
        >from Clausing . I am searching through the old posts here to see if it
        >has come up but you guys have generated a lot of posts , so it will
        >take me a while . Thanks in advance .
        >Ken Cutt

        >Send money instantly to anyone with an email address!
        >It's as easy as sending email and it's FREE -- only at X.com.
        >Open an account today; It's quick, free, & there's no obligation!

        >-- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=atlas_craftsman&m=1

      • Steve Sheppard
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2000
          I read somewhere recently (here?!? Sigh, now I can't find the ref)
          that someone decided they could never recreate an Atlas half-nut
          properly with a casting and proposed to just dispense with it entirely.

          Instead, they wished to machine a new complete nut (a full-nut?!?)
          out of brass and replace the half-nut in the carriage assembly
          Don't know if they ever carried through.

          Of course, now your carriage is locked to the thread and is *always*
          engaged, forcing you to control carriage movement by
          engaging/disengaging
          gearing. That prevents you from threading anything.

          Only a very temporary solution, but at least you regain control of your
          carriage.

          --Steve
        • gcontreras@abxlogistics.es
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 1, 2000
            I would machine one out of a bronce bar. Once finished, silver solder this to a
            plate that matches the base and then cut it in half. I will do this shortly and
            let you know how I got along.
            I would like to machine some sort of dove tail too but do not know if I have
            enough space for it.
          • John Johnson
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 1, 2000
              Ken:
              I posted this two weeks ago about my experience.

              I checked out both Sears and Clausing and here is what I found. Both had
              the half nuts available. Sears price was $42.70 per pair plus shipping.
              Clausing was $24.62 per pair plus $2.31 shipping. I ordered them from
              Clausing using my credit card and they arrived here in California via First
              Class Mail today.

              John D.L. Johnson
              jjohnson@...
              www.LocoGear.com