[atlas_craftsman] Re: atlas/craftsman 12"

  • Randall Prock
    Message 1 of 30 , Mar 1 1:32 AM
      epotter wrote:

      > Randy, would it be possible for me to get a xerox of the documents?
      > Naturally, I will pay the charges and postage, and there is no hurry in
      > getting it done.
      >
      > david
      All I really have are two BULLETIN's one for leveling and the one for gear clearance
      I could scan them and send them to your or if I figure out how to do it send them to the
      metal working archives.

      All I------------------------------------------------------------------------
      > Send money instantly to anyone with an email address!
      > It's as easy as sending email and it's FREE -- only at X.com.
      > Open an account today; It's quick, free, & there's no obligation!

      > -- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=atlas_craftsman&m=1
    • David Beierl
      Message 2 of 30 , Mar 1 1:46 AM
        At 04:32 AM 3/1/2000 , Randall Prock wrote:
        > All I really have are two BULLETIN's one for leveling and the one for
        > gear clearance
        >I could scan them and send them to your or if I figure out how to do it
        >send them to the
        >metal working archives.

        You might check to see if they're on the Atlas website before you go to the
        trouble...

        http://www.atlas-press.com/ then pick "oldies but goodies" and go from there.

        david
        David Beierl - dbeierl@...
      • Stang8s@aol.com
        Message 3 of 30 , Mar 1 3:50 AM
          both those docs are online on the atlas/clausing website.
          jeff
        • epotter
          Message 4 of 30 , Mar 1 8:35 AM
            It's probably fatuous to post this, but if anyone ever has a quick change
            for the 12 inch for sale, I would sure be interested. I guess the way it
            works, though, is that one has to buy the whole lathe...

            david
          • Pete & Sheri
            Message 5 of 30 , Mar 1 8:49 AM
              Not necessarily. I bought a used 10" Atlas lathe in about 1968 down in
              Chicago that had had the quick change guts stripped from it. I met a
              guy who sold me a partially completed quick change "kit" that used the
              standard Atlas change gears. I never did finish it; I bought another
              Atlas lathe and sold the first one along with the partially finished
              QC assembly. The point is, I think that this "kit" was a project out
              of some 1940's Popular Mechanics magazine, or something like that.

              Pete Stanaitis

              ------
              > It's probably fatuous to post this, but if anyone ever has a quick change
              > for the 12 inch for sale, I would sure be interested. I guess the way it
              > works, though, is that one has to buy the whole lathe...
              >
              > david

            • epotter
              Message 6 of 30 , Mar 1 8:55 AM
                Hi, this is a dumb thing to ask, but am I right in thinking the power feed
                parallel to the bed can only be effected by closing the half-nut, as if
                threading? I would so much like to be told that there is a mechanism to
                engage the groove in the screw, so as not to wear the screw unduly.

                Mine has a few bits missing, there is a shaft with no knob almost directly
                under the compound rest, which I suppose is for engaging the transverse
                power feed? There at present are the large handwheel for manually moving
                the apron along the bed, and the lever at the right for engaging the
                half-nut. The shaft without a knob is in the centre of the apron. There
                is no lever with a black plastic ball in that location, as shown in a
                picture of the lathe.

                thanks david
              • Mike & Jan Fendley
                Message 7 of 30 , Mar 1 12:34 PM
                  Dave,
                  Some Atlas 12" lathes had a plunger type "pull" knob to engage the cross
                  feed (mine did). The Atlas (unlike the SB) can only engage the
                  "longitudinal feed" with the half nut. The SB along with many others can
                  engage the "feed" without engaging the half nut via a feed clutch. I'm sure
                  Atlas did this to keep the cost down. Mike

                  Message 8 of 30 , Mar 1 8:05 PM
                    epotter wrote:

                    > Hi, this is a dumb thing to ask, but am I right in thinking the power feed
                    > parallel to the bed can only be effected by closing the half-nut, as if
                    > threading? I would so much like to be told that there is a mechanism to
                    > engage the groove in the screw, so as not to wear the screw unduly.

                    The Atlas lathes have no separate power feed. But, since it DOES tap
                    power off the leadscrew for the crossfeed, I don't think it would be real hard
                    to rig up some sort of power feed, using the existing drive. There is a
                    long bevel gear that fits around the leadscrew, and has an internal keyway.
                    It turns a large bevel gear, which also has a spur gear attached to it, which
                    can engage the cross feed. (That's your knobless shaft below.) You
                    could put in another gear to pick up power off that gear and transfer it
                    to the handwheel gear train, which is just to the left of the power feed works.

                    I'm not too sure what speed you'll get, and whether it will be real smooth,
                    or have a cyclical pattern to it.

                    > Mine has a few bits missing, there is a shaft with no knob almost directly
                    > under the compound rest, which I suppose is for engaging the transverse
                    > power feed? There at present are the large handwheel for manually moving
                    > the apron along the bed, and the lever at the right for engaging the
                    > half-nut. The shaft without a knob is in the centre of the apron. There
                    > is no lever with a black plastic ball in that location, as shown in a
                    > picture of the lathe.

                    My 12" (and my 10" before it) have a sort of mushroom-like metal knob,
                    that rotates with the power feed, for engaging the cross feed. You pull to
                    engage, push to disengage. When disengaging, it works a lot better if
                    you advance the cross feed a bit manually, to take the load off the gears
                    when trying to disengage them.