Konfuzzed??

  • WDSmith
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31 10:09 AM
      I am either missing something or I have an unusual piecce of machinery. It
      didn't matter until I started trying to replace parts. Nothing seems to fit
      and there is no dataplate.

      Here is what I have:

      42" bed
      12" swing
      babbit headstock
      Horizontal countershaft
      Spindle guards only cover the ends of the spindle as per the vertical
      countershaft model.
      Countershaft and motor assy is bolted to the lathe bed legs via cast-in
      bosses making a one-piece unit.
      Carriage casting is one piece
      No power crossfeed.
      3/8" thick ways

      All these features don't add up to anything I have found in the books but it
      does look original. (same 12 colors of paint in the same order on all parts
      & no evident butchering) This leads me to four possibilities:
      1. Post-war production from a combination of pre-& post-war components.
      2. A "build it yourself" job from long ago.
      3. A custom build for an unknown marketing company.
      4. A really loose nut on the "Lathe ID" button.

      Anyone care to venture an opinion?

      WDSmith
    • Rodent
      Message 2 of 5 , May 31 10:29 AM
        Kinda hard to visualize without photos.

      • n8as1@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , May 31 8:17 PM
          In a message dated 5/31/2003 12:09:47 PM Central Standard Time,
          mediasmith@... writes:

          > I am either missing something or I have an unusual piecce of machinery. It
          > didn't matter until I started trying to replace parts. Nothing seems to fit
          > and there is no dataplate.

          u have the very usual circa 1938 craftsman lathe ....i am currently parting
          out its sibling

          best wishes
          docn8as

          Message 4 of 5 , May 31 10:57 PM
            WDSmith wrote:

            >I am either missing something or I have an unusual piecce of machinery. It
            >didn't matter until I started trying to replace parts. Nothing seems to fit
            >and there is no dataplate.
            >
            >Here is what I have:
            >
            >42" bed
            >12" swing
            >babbit headstock
            >Horizontal countershaft
            >Spindle guards only cover the ends of the spindle as per the vertical
            >countershaft model.
            >Countershaft and motor assy is bolted to the lathe bed legs via cast-in
            >bosses making a one-piece unit.
            >Carriage casting is one piece
            >No power crossfeed.

            Bingo, this is an Atlas "D" model lathe, probably from 1936 - 1938.

            >3/8" thick ways
            >
            >All these features don't add up to anything I have found in the books but it
            >does look original. (same 12 colors of paint in the same order on all parts
            >& no evident butchering) This leads me to four possibilities:
            >1. Post-war production from a combination of pre-& post-war components.

            Why do you say post-war? It sounds very PRE-war to me, as long as the war
            we are speaking of is WW-II.

            I've never run across a 12" D model, but there are a lot of 10" D models
            around.

            Jon
          • Ronald Thibault
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 1, 2003
              At 12:09 PM 5/31/2003 -0500, you wrote:
              >I am either missing something or I have an unusual piecce of machinery. It
              >didn't matter until I started trying to replace parts. Nothing seems to fit
              >and there is no dataplate.
              >
              >Here is what I have:
              >
              >42" bed
              >12" swing
              >babbit headstock
              >Horizontal countershaft
              >Spindle guards only cover the ends of the spindle as per the vertical
              >countershaft model.
              >Countershaft and motor assy is bolted to the lathe bed legs via cast-in
              >bosses making a one-piece unit.
              >Carriage casting is one piece
              >No power crossfeed.
              >3/8" thick ways

              1930's Craftsman (Sears) lathe built by Atlas. Had one, did a lot
              of work with it.

              Ron Thibault
              Warrenville, SC USA
              http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/t/h/thib9564/