measuring question

  • Jim Russell
    Message 1 of 12 , May 30, 2003
      Hi All,
      I noticed in the files section that my 101-07383 can be one of 3
      different lengths. Can someone explain how the length of my 12"
      Craftsman is measured? Is it the length of the bed? or from the
      spindle to the end of the bed? or headstock spindle to tail stock
      spindle?
      Jim
    • Stan Stocker
      Message 2 of 12 , May 30, 2003
        Hi Jim;

        On most (all?) U.S. lathes the length is the actual length of the bed.
        It can be confusing, a U.S. 12X36 has around 18 inches between centers,
        while most imported lathes are specified by maximum distance between
        centers, so their 12X36 is a bit over 5 foot in length.

        Another variation is in swing, most U.K. folks would call our 12 inch
        lathes a 6 inch lathe, as they specify the radius of the maximum
        workpiece while we specify the diameter. Makes for some amusing
        mis-communications now and then :-)

        Cheers,
        Stan

        Jim Russell wrote:
        > Hi All,
        > I noticed in the files section that my 101-07383 can be one of 3
        > different lengths. Can someone explain how the length of my 12"
        > Craftsman is measured? Is it the length of the bed? or from the
        > spindle to the end of the bed? or headstock spindle to tail stock
        > spindle?
        > Jim
      • Jim Russell
        Message 3 of 12 , May 30, 2003
          Thanks Stan,
          You are right about confusing! I thought for years that I had a 6"
          lathe. Now I know better (smile).
          Jim

          --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Stan Stocker

          Message 4 of 12 , May 30, 2003
            Jim Russell wrote:

            >Hi All,
            > I noticed in the files section that my 101-07383 can be one of 3
            >different lengths. Can someone explain how the length of my 12"
            >Craftsman is measured? Is it the length of the bed? or from the
            >spindle to the end of the bed? or headstock spindle to tail stock
            >spindle?

            Atlas traditionally labeled these lathes by the full length of the bed,
            and the standards were 42 and 54 Inches. That works out to 24 and
            36" between centers. Those are the only two length measurements
            I am familiar with. Craftsman may have used the between-centers
            measurement for advertising, etc.

            Jon
          • Yoda
            Message 5 of 12 , May 31, 2003
              Does the Atlas 618 have 18" between centers ??

              Jon Elson wrote:

              >Jim Russell wrote:
              >

              >>Hi All,
              >> I noticed in the files section that my 101-07383 can be one of 3
              >>different lengths. Can someone explain how the length of my 12"
              >>Craftsman is measured? Is it the length of the bed? or from the
              >>spindle to the end of the bed? or headstock spindle to tail stock
              >>spindle?
              >>

              >Atlas traditionally labeled these lathes by the full length of the bed,
              >and the standards were 42 and 54 Inches. That works out to 24 and
              >36" between centers. Those are the only two length measurements
              >I am familiar with. Craftsman may have used the between-centers
              >measurement for advertising, etc.
              >
              >Jon
              >

              >TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THE LIST:
              >You do this yourself by sending a message to:

            • mertbaker
              Message 6 of 12 , May 31, 2003
                yup
                Mert
                MertBaker@...
                > Does the Atlas 618 have 18" between centers ??
                >

                > Jon Elson wrote:
                >
                > >Jim Russell wrote:
                > >

                > >>Hi All,
                > >> I noticed in the files section that my 101-07383 can be one of 3
                > >>different lengths. Can someone explain how the length of my 12"
                > >>Craftsman is measured? Is it the length of the bed? or from the
                > >>spindle to the end of the bed? or headstock spindle to tail stock
                > >>spindle?
                > >>

                > >Atlas traditionally labeled these lathes by the full length of the bed,
                > >and the standards were 42 and 54 Inches. That works out to 24 and
                > >36" between centers. Those are the only two length measurements
                > >I am familiar with. Craftsman may have used the between-centers
                > >measurement for advertising, etc.
                > >
                > >Jon
                > >

                > >TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THE LIST:
                > >You do this yourself by sending a message to:
                > >
                > >Atlas-Craftsman Projects list is at

                > Atlas-Craftsman Projects list is at

              • Thomas
                Message 7 of 12 , May 31, 2003
                  Does any one know if the parts would be available to change one from a 42"
                  to a 54" lath bed. Would need the new bed and the lead screw. The one I
                  have has what would be called the 42" bed even though it measures 45" which
                  includes the part the head stock is mounted on. This one also has the QC
                  gear box. It has the rear drive and is on iron legs. Thomas
                  > > I noticed in the files section that my 101-07383 can be one of 3
                  > >different lengths. Can someone explain how the length of my 12"
                  > >Craftsman is measured? Is it the length of the bed? or from the
                  > >spindle to the end of the bed? or headstock spindle to tail stock
                  > >spindle?
                  > >

                  > Atlas traditionally labeled these lathes by the full length of the bed,
                  > and the standards were 42 and 54 Inches. That works out to 24 and
                  > 36" between centers. Those are the only two length measurements
                  > I am familiar with. Craftsman may have used the between-centers
                  > measurement for advertising, etc.
                  >
                  > Jon

                  > Atlas-Craftsman Projects list is at

                  ---
                • Damon Gentile
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 31, 2003
                    No problem at all. Just get your hands on a bed, leadscrew, and gear
                    rack. Leadscrew & racks are available new. I'm about 80% done with
                    a 10"x90" :)

                    Thomas wrote:

                    > Does any one know if the parts would be available to change one from a 42"
                    > to a 54" lath bed. Would need the new bed and the lead screw. The one I
                    > have has what would be called the 42" bed even though it measures 45" which
                    > includes the part the head stock is mounted on. This one also has the QC
                    > gear box. It has the rear drive and is on iron legs. Thomas

                  • Buckshot
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 31, 2003
                      Stan,

                      You are WAY off with that statement.

                      My Atlas was sold by the factory as a 12" (swing) X 36" (between centers)
                      lathe. The actual length of the bed is 54". The lathe is a model 3996.

                      Buckshot

                      At 07:40 PM 05/30/2003 -0400, Stan Stocker wrote:
                      >Hi Jim;
                      >
                      >On most (all?) U.S. lathes the length is the actual length of the bed.
                      >It can be confusing, a U.S. 12X36 has around 18 inches between centers,
                      >while most imported lathes are specified by maximum distance between
                      >centers, so their 12X36 is a bit over 5 foot in length.
                      >
                      >Another variation is in swing, most U.K. folks would call our 12 inch
                      >lathes a 6 inch lathe, as they specify the radius of the maximum
                      >workpiece while we specify the diameter. Makes for some amusing
                      >mis-communications now and then :-)
                      >
                      >Cheers,
                      >Stan
                      >
                      >Jim Russell wrote:
                      > > Hi All,
                      > > I noticed in the files section that my 101-07383 can be one of 3
                      > > different lengths. Can someone explain how the length of my 12"
                      > > Craftsman is measured? Is it the length of the bed? or from the
                      > > spindle to the end of the bed? or headstock spindle to tail stock
                      > > spindle?
                      > > Jim
                      >

                      >TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THE LIST:
                      >You do this yourself by sending a message to:
                      >
                      >Atlas-Craftsman Projects list is at
                      >http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlas_craftsman_projects/

                    • Ronald R Brandenburg
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 31, 2003
                        Swing, generally, means the diameter it will turn over the ways. This will
                        yield a larger number than what can be turned over the saddle. I have a
                        101.28990 so it swings twelve inches over the ways but only about five or so
                        inches over the saddle. The length is between centers. BUT! So the
                        maximum I can turn between centers would be 5" +/- X 36" and not 12" X 36".
                        BTJM2ยข.

                        Ron...
                        ~ ~ ~ Always remember:
                        Be wary of strong drink.
                        It can make you shoot at tax collectors -- and miss.
                        - Robert A Heinlein

                        Message 11 of 12 , May 31, 2003
                          Hi Buckshot;

                          Thanks for the correction. Never had any original sales information,
                          and the parts list calls out parts based on bed length, so I figured
                          they did the bed length spec like other manufacturers. I didn't know
                          they sold by center distance when new.

                          Do you happen to know if Sears also sold by center distance?

                          Cheers,
                          Stan

                          Buckshot wrote:
                          > Stan,
                          >
                          > You are WAY off with that statement.
                          >
                          > My Atlas was sold by the factory as a 12" (swing) X 36" (between centers)
                          > lathe. The actual length of the bed is 54". The lathe is a model 3996.
                          >
                          > Buckshot
                          >
                          > At 07:40 PM 05/30/2003 -0400, Stan Stocker wrote:
                          >
                          >>Hi Jim;
                          >>
                          >>On most (all?) U.S. lathes the length is the actual length of the bed.
                          >>It can be confusing, a U.S. 12X36 has around 18 inches between centers,
                          >>while most imported lathes are specified by maximum distance between
                          >>centers, so their 12X36 is a bit over 5 foot in length.
                          ><snipped>
                        • Buckshot
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 31, 2003
                            Stan,

                            Can't answer the Sears question off the top of my head, I will have to dig
                            and see if I have an old tool catalog for them.

                            I do have original sales material from when I bought my lathe, but it was
                            Atlas from a local tool company, not Craftsman from Sears.

                            Buckshot