[atlas_craftsman] AA-Craftsman Lathe

  • sblack@progression.net
    Message 1 of 31 , Feb 22, 1999
      I bought what I thought was an Atlas 6x12 sight unseen and you guessed it, it turned out to be an AA 109. I had never heard of the lathe before and was puzzled yet exited until I identified it on the uk-lathes websight. I realized that the author was right when he identified the unusual headstock thread and small #0 morse tapers as liabilities for heavier work.

      My machine came with 2 centers, 4-yaw chuck, all change gears, pulley set and motor. Everything seems to work and there is no excessive play or wear other than the tailstock spindle. The headstock spindle bearings are very tight. There is even and extra lead screw and cross slide lead screw (I hope I got the terms right). I hope this posting isn't too long but I have to make a decision as to whether or not to pour more money into properly equipping this machine or to cut my losses and run. Any info from your group would aid me greatly.

      Problems and questions:

      I need a drill chuck that will attach to a #0 MT arbor since the included one is home-made and not usable.Any known source?

      The 4-jaw runs very true but the dead center in the headstock has a bit of a wobble. Inspection revealed that there is some kind of galling or ridge in the head stock spindle's morse taper. Is there some way of cleaning that up? ( I have no direct machining training other than building one of those awful vices in highschool).

      I will do lots of small work but it looks like there are no collets available for this size of spindle. With this machine, can I expect to make my own and have decent accuracy?

      The tail-stock spindle is very loose. The only way to prevent it from wobbling is to tighten down the locking lever so that there is a ton of friction. Is this what is usually done? The spindle measures 1 thou. under nominal from the dwgs. Is there any fix for this?

      A shaft with a 4-step pulley and a 6" pulley mounted on 2 bearings was included. Is this stock or is the 4-step pulley supposed to be mounted directly on the motor?

      This is a fairly complete and tight machine other than the tail stock spindle and the head stock MT (which can be saved?). It is a cute little machine but I need accuracy and the ability to turn small parts that I doubt it can give. Is this worth fighting with? I am an RC modeler and want to spend my time building models rather than restoring a old machine. However, for the right kind of hobbiest this could be a great little lathe. Any advice would be very welcome and I apologise for the lengthly post.

      BTW, I got the RCM drop box file - very helpful. I have tried to dig up as much of this myself as possible before asking these questions.

      sb

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/atlas_craftsman
    • RJRCBoat1@aol.com
      Message 31 of 31 , Feb 28, 1999
        Thanks for the bio Sharps (John). It's always interesting to hear about
        other peoples' interests and passions. I live in Cincinnati, Ohio, have
        pretty much my whole life. I'm heavy into radio control hydroplane racing and
        dabble a little with r/c cars as well. They're all gas (nitro) powered. I
        decided that learning machining would be rewarding and educational as well as
        helpful in my hobbies. Right now, I'm working on getting my little
        Craftsman/AA 109 6x12 lathe mounted and powered up. It's in decent shape but
        there are some things guys have recommended to make the lathe more functional
        and I'm approaching those items one at a time. I have a couple of nice guys
        making stuff for me right now such as dial indicators for the cross and
        tailstock, and a threading dial, which the lathe is missing. I'm just getting
        started but am having fun and learning alot.

        Thanks for your reply and take care.

        Rich

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/atlas_craftsman