Re: [atlas_craftsman] Fwd: Backplate

  • Ernest Lear
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2003
      Brian
      To get the Compound off you just undo the two set screws, The same ones the
      you loosen off, to set it at another angle, with the square head on each
      that the spanner or key that you use fit on. Then you just lift it off.
      You are left with the round seating ring that the compound sit on with its
      raised post in the centre on the top of the cross side.

      Now if I was designing a milling attachment I would make a pattern and get a
      cast iron or aluminium casting to take a vertical slide to clamp my job to
      and fit the milling cutter in a collets chuck in the headstock spindle. To
      mill I would have the x-y and z movement of the object being worked on. This
      L shape casting base would be machined to fit as the compound did and this
      will also allow angles to be set as it able to rotate and lock in any
      position just like the compound. One thing you got to bear in mind, is the
      fact that the Atlas parts on the carriage are not as sturdy as those on a
      milling machine and so you got to watch the loads and the leverages etc.In
      another word just take care and don't break it..
      Ernest
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2003
        In a message dated 4/1/2003 3:38:06 AM Central Standard Time,
        Ernest@... writes:

        > Brian
        > To get the Compound off you just undo the two set screws, The same ones the
        > you loosen off, to set it at another angle, with the square head on each
        > that the spanner or key that you use fit on. Then you just lift it off.
        > You are left with the round seating ring that the compound sit on with its
        > raised post in the centre on the top of the cross side.

        careful not to loose the 3 locking inserts when u remove ....& u may have to
        shake front/back/side to free up compound

        best wishes
        docn8as

      • Brian Squibb
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2003
          I have the afternoon off tomorrow - I will go and try it then.

          Thanks everyone

          Brian