Model 101.21400 6" - need chuck

  • tedkrempa
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31 3:45 PM
      I just acquired this Atlas/Craftsman and need a chuck. Where is the
      best source and what should I expect to pay for one in good
      condition ?

      Thanks,

      Ted
      San Diego
    • Dan Rice
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 31 6:41 PM
        Ted,

        I, also, have a 101.21400. As it happens, I also work for NYMAT Machine Tool
        Company that sells machines, tooling etc.
        I will get some pricing for you tomorrow. It will give you a good idea what
        to expect. I would caution you not to buy
        a cheap off-brand chuck but purchase a good three or four jaw chuck. Do you
        want a three or four jaw?

        Dan
        > I just acquired this Atlas/Craftsman and need a chuck. Where is the
        > best source and what should I expect to pay for one in good
        > condition ?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Ted
        > San Diego

        > Atlas-Craftsman Projects list is at

      • tedkrempa
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 31 7:13 PM
          thanks Dan.....I actually know nothing about a lathe !!! but, I
          think a 4 jaw sounds better. Any help appreciated
          Ted

          --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Rice" <danrice@r...>
          wrote:
          > Ted,
          >
          > I, also, have a 101.21400. As it happens, I also work for NYMAT
          Machine Tool
          > Company that sells machines, tooling etc.
          > I will get some pricing for you tomorrow. It will give you a good
          idea what
          > to expect. I would caution you not to buy
          > a cheap off-brand chuck but purchase a good three or four jaw
          chuck. Do you
          > want a three or four jaw?
          >
          > Dan

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Dan Rice
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 1, 2003
            Ted,

            A 3-Jaw chuck is a "Self Centering" device. In other words, as you turn the
            key all three
            jaws move together. A four-Jaw chuck, normally, has independant jaws with a
            key position
            above each jaw. This type of chuck is handy for odd shaped material or
            square stock.
            It can be used for round stock as well. The 4-jaw will be more versatile
            unless you
            are considering only round stock work.

            Dan