[atlas_craftsman] Soap Box

  • Marty Escarcega
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 21, 1999
      I invite any of you to hop up on the soap box if you haven't already
      done so and let us know what machine you have and what you
      primarily use it for. If you have any questions of the machine or
      problems ask as well. Tool gloats invited too :-).

      I personally have an older 12"x36" Craftsman machine. I picked it
      up with a little tooling, 3 jaw chuck, steady rest and change gears for
      $350. I bought a QC change box for it but it will require some minor
      adapting. I'm as green as can be when it comes to turning. So when
      the time comes I'm sure I'll be asking a bucha questions. My
      primary use will be for turning shafts, bushings etc. for woodworking
      machinery that I restore and repair as a hobby. I've visited some of
      you who have websites and have been very impressed with the
      projects, from locomotives, steam engines etc. Perhaps as I become
      more proficient with the machine I'll take a shot at a less intimidating
      project.

      As an aside note, we have 86 members to this list since its inception
      on Jan 1, 1999

      Marty Escarcega
      Keeper of the list

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/atlas_craftsman
    • David R. Birch
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 21, 1999
        I have a 618 Atlas which I've built some tooling for, and just bought a
        Craftsman 12x36 which I am rewiring and tooling up. For milling, I have
        a Benchmaster horizontal mill.

        David

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/atlas_craftsman
      • mkcent@swbell.net
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 21, 1999
          Congratulations Marty,
          I'm proud for you and the success of the egroup. As a charter member
          (#2) I must confess,I didn't see it being this popular when you started
          it. I think it's great (though I haven't been that active on it). I
          think you're doing a great job.
          M K (Skip) Campbell
          www.mkctools.com
          12x36 Craftsman/Atlas
          10x24 Atlas
          Jet Mill/Drill
          (Don't know how to run any of them!)

          eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/atlas_craftsman
        • RJRCBoat1@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 21, 1999
            LOL!!!!!!! I love it Skip. (Don't know how to run any of them) Well, I'll
            join the club on that one. My 6X12 Craftsman/AA 109 Series is my first
            machine and I'm looking forward to learning alot on it. I too congratulate
            Marty on a good group, as it is tough to find info on these little lathes
            sometimes. Thanks much. Rich Jones

            eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/atlas_craftsman
          • Charlie Lear
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 21, 1999
              On Sun, 21 Feb 1999 05:51:57 -0700, Marty Escarcega wrote:
              >I invite any of you to hop up on the soap box if you haven't already
              >done so and let us know what machine you have and what you
              >primarily use it for.

              I've got a 6" Atlas, model 10100 #5664. Bought it from a scrapyard,
              it's missing the changewheels and the pulley/backgear engagement
              thingy from the end of the spindle. One day I'll get around to
              calling Clausing and getting the manual/parts diagram.

              Lovely little machine, it doesn't get used much as I need to fit
              bushes to the sloppy saddle handwheel and associated gear train.

              As far as tool gloat is concerned, I don't do much gloating because I
              don't get much shop time and most of my efforts seem to be in
              preventing rust on the tools! For what its worth, I have a little
              baby Super Adept, a Sherline, the Atlas, a Taiwanese 920 and a Weiler
              13" toolroom lathe. Overkill, but once you buy one it is very hard
              to let go again...

              Cheers
              Charlie
              Charlie Lear, Wellington, New Zealand clear@...
              Supplier of Children's Overalls
              NZ Distributor of Sherline Products,
              email puffers@... for details

              eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/atlas_craftsman
            • Sharps4090@aol.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 21, 1999
                Marty,

                I have been on the board for some time now, and I suppose I ought to
                contribute a little. I have an Atlas 10x42 inch F series lathe, given to me
                by a friend clear across the country. He knew nothing about lathes and it was
                given to him. Like a lamb led to the slaughter I accepted the thing and
                agreed to pay the shipping. That total came to $514 by motor freight. Upon
                arrival of the machine, I found out that I had accepted a "parted out"
                machine. I had 42 inch ways, a timken headstock bereft of change gears, and a
                tail stock that actually had come off of a South bend 10 inch lathe. I did
                have the horizontal motor mounting system and a motor without pulleys.

                I almost threw the thing into the North Platte River. After cleaning on it
                for a while, I began to grow some interest in the old dog. So to the internet
                I went and to the machinery boards I addressed my needs. Suffice it to say,
                that in the next 3 months I purchased a complete set of back gears and
                bracket; a complete apron(the old one had been stripped); a lead screw; a
                reversing gear box complete with bracket for the gears, including the gears; a
                complete set of change gears; and the end cover to the lathe. These were
                purchased from 7 different states and all pieces were of top quality, some
                being new.

                Now, I wrote off the freight in figuring the worth of the machine, but I have
                put about $ $600 into the restoration. It is a charming old machine and I am
                beginning to work with it. The tailstock is remarkably only .006 low, center
                to center with the headstock. I have taken care of this with shim stock. The
                bearings were almost new sho she purrs as she runs. I just finished boring
                out the barrel of an old shot out Stevens Single Shot Favorite rifle on it,
                and will install a liner, literally a new barrel, in restoring this fine old
                rifle. To do so, the extension for the drills was too long for my 24 inch
                centers, when a drill chuck resided in the tailstock. I designed a block
                bored to fit the tool post with a 1/4 inch hole through it to hold the drill
                extension. The hole was bored by a drill located in the headstock 3 jaw
                chuck, thus is in line vertically at all times with the spindle center,
                needing to be allighned only horizontally which is easy to do by use of the
                crosslide. I split the block so that it may be tightened upon the tool post,
                and split it horizontally so that it may be tightened upon the drill
                extension.

                Imagine my sheer delight when I set up the lathe to its second slowest feed
                and power fed the 3/8 drill through the 22 caliber barrel. Smooth as silk!!
                I own a Myford ML7 English modeling lathe of the highest quality, and an Enco
                mill drill, and now the fine old Atlas. Lots of fun ahead.

                John Herrington (Sharps4090)

                eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/atlas_craftsman
              • SLEYKIN@aol.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 21, 1999
                  Ok ... I'll jump up for a few :)
                  I have an Atlas 618 (to the best of my knowledge, it has no nameplates or
                  number plates. only a serial number on the tailstock end) It apears a bit
                  unusual in that it has bronze bushings in the headstock instead of the timkin
                  rollers. I bought it about a year ago with a 4 jaw and the rocker toolpost
                  and armstrong holders. The first thing I had to do was to make a new
                  headstock bushing. I made a mandrel and turned down a 1" ID bushing to fit
                  the headstock. Then I made a toolblock to hold carbide bits more ridgidly. I
                  seem to have a fairly ridgid setup now after adjusting all the gibs and taking
                  the backlash out of the feeds. One cute trick on the compound I used was to
                  take a piece of weed eater line and stuff it under the screw that holds the
                  crossfeed nut. This goes down to the screw and holds it quite nicely without
                  wearing out the screw. I have had to change it out once now but that only
                  takes a second or so. My lathe is mounted on a 5/8" piece of steel plate
                  which really holds things down nicely also. I am in the process of building a
                  milling attachment that will mount in place of the compound slide. I turned a
                  socket in a block of aluminum to mount a dovetailed slide I picked up from
                  ebay. I picked up a small palmgren vise for $26 at a local tool store that
                  will mount nicely on the slide and give me a rather compact ridgid setup for a
                  few small milling jobs I have in mind. First one will be an improved version
                  of my toolblock. The first toolblock holds an indexable carbide bit and a
                  boring bar. It was supposed to also hold the parting tool but I made the slot
                  too big and the bottom was too thin so that didn't work for long. The next
                  block will hold only the parting bit in the slot and I think it should work
                  much better.

                  I blew out the back gears turning the back plate for the 3 jaw chuck I bought.
                  Seems the interupted cut I was making was a bit too tough for the way the
                  backgears wher adjusted. Now I know how to adjust them but I still need to
                  find a set of backgears. I came up with a rather novel aproach to the back
                  plate also. I took a piece of 1" steel plate and roughed it out on the
                  bandsaw then drilled and taped it for 1" X10 and turned the rest on the lathe.
                  I got a very nice fit ... the chuck will just hang on the backplate without
                  putting the screws in and when it is all tight I have no detectable runout in
                  the outside of the chuck. There is about .003" runout in the jaws but from
                  what I hear that is about normal for a 3 jaw and has not been a problem.

                  So far I have more than paid for the lathe in parts I have made to repair
                  different things even though it was only intended as a toy :) It seems to be
                  a pleasant plus when your toys are kind enough to pay their own way :)

                  Glenn Neff
                  Medford, OR

                  eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/atlas_craftsman
                • Bob & Marilyn Tonkins
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 22, 1999
                    Eh Charlie!
                    I THINK we have the same little Atlas. 1" by 10 thd and 17/64"(0ver
                    50mm) thru-hole. Kind of boxy shape. It's up for sale, but, of course,
                    NZ is way too far - you couldn't GET further. I got my 4" chuck from
                    your neighborhood, from Latalex - the NOVA chuck. I live in Chico, in
                    the state of California USA.
                    Greetings from afar
                    Bob Tonkins

                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 22, 1999
                      Sometimes its the thrill of the hunt, for me its bringing an old beast back to life. Such
                      was the case with a 1955 Unisaw I brought back from near death. It
                      can be seen on the woodworking part of my web page
                      http://www.primenet.com/~opencon

                      I hope to do the same with my 12x36 craftsman as soon as I find the
                      time. I think the best part of a ground up rebuild is getting to know
                      the lathe "initimately" so to speak and understand how it works.

                      Been some interesting stories so far...

                      Marty

                    • kingmidget@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 24, 1999
                        I would like to take this time to step up on the "Soap Box" and tell the group about my old Atlas 10F lathe. I found my treasure in a barn where it had sat for twenty years. I gave the owner $125.00 for it and hauled it home with visions of building works of art. That was five years ago and I have since replaced the bed, headstock, saddle, "all gears", lead screw, half nuts,shafts and nuts for the compound and saddle. I replaced or repaired bushings and parts for the reversing box and apron.
                        I have since thrown away all receipts for the repair parts of my treasure but it is nice lathe now. I have also acquired two three jaw chucks , two four jaw chucks, two jacob headstock chucks, faceplates,steady rest and a milling attachment. I would like to someday find a QC gearbox , follower rest and a compound v-belt "large" pulley that doesn't WOBBLE!!!...... for what I have in my lathe I could have purchased a new import lathe but I look at all the fun I would have missed out on by not rebuilding my old friend and think... well, it's ready for another Fifty years!

                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 24, 1999
                          Well I'll say, the King is talking. I'm truly glad you have entered the
                          insanity of this board. We are all a bunch of misfits laboring with old
                          machines that all of the good machinists know wont hack it, I mean "turn it".
                          But one thing about it, we are all in the same boat. I appreciate the
                          encouragement you tendered to me when I was rebuilding my old boat anchor.
                          You had been there and done that, and now I can say "So have I".

                          I guess I kind of resent the other boys pointing out how dumb we are trying to
                          work with those old Atlas lathes. Ought to have a South Bend, or Hardinge, or
                          whatever. Well, truth is, we like the blooming things. And fact is you can
                          do good work on one, if you take the time to learn its faults and age. Kinda
                          makes you love 'em, having reworked and rebuilt thes fine old machines, eh
                          Kingmidget? Thanks again for your personal encouragement when I really didn't
                          know whether it was worth it or not. I'm about to turn, thread and chamber a
                          barrel for a reworked Enfield in the grand old English caliber, .416 Rigby.
                          Now, by the time I finish this I will have a small fortune in the bloody
                          thing. But then, what the heck; it's for my son in law, and it is a labor of
                          love, and how do you evaluate that kind of work--kinda like the old
                          Atlas that will do the work--a labor of love. Thank God for love, anyway, for
                          people, machines, and sons in law!

                          Welcome, Kingmidget, to a world of insane Atlas lovers, and God bless you my
                          friend.
                          John Herrington (Sharps4090)

                          eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/atlas_craftsman
                        • Jim Bishop
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 25, 1999
                            kingmidget@... wrote:

                            > I would like to take this time to step up on the "Soap Box" and tell the group about my old Atlas 10F lathe. I found my treasure in a barn where it had sat for twenty years. I gave the owner $125.00 for it and hauled it home with visions of building works of art. That was five years ago and I have since replaced the bed, headstock, saddle, "all gears", lead screw, half nuts,shafts and nuts for the compound and saddle. I replaced or repaired bushings and parts for the reversing box and apro
                            > I have since thrown away all receipts for the repair parts of my treasure but it is nice lathe now. I have also acquired two three jaw chucks , two four jaw chucks, two jacob headstock chucks, faceplates,steady rest and a milling attachment. I would like to someday find a QC gearbox , follower rest and a compound v-belt "large" pulley that doesn't WOBBLE!!!...... for what I have in my lathe I could have purchased a new import lathe but I look at all the fun I would have missed out on by not

                            > Does your free web site address contain more letters than the alphabet?
                            > Register a domain name with DomainDirect. A domain with NO hosting fees.
                            > Visit http://offers.egroups.com/click/233/0 for full details.
                            >
                            > eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/atlas_craftsman
                            Regarding the wobble in the large pulley, when I recently painted and
                            tuned up my 10" Atlas I made a motor pulley out of 2 stock pulleys from
                            Grainger to replace the original which was badly worn on the small
                            diameter. This turned out so well I decided to see if I could get the
                            wobble out of my large pulley. I set up a dial indicator to find the
                            high spots and tapped the pulley around with a plastic dead blow hammer.
                            I was surprised at how easy it moved around and was able to get the
                            runout down to 5 or 6 thou. in a couple of minutes. I quit there as it
                            was so much better than it was, but I think if someone wanted to spend
                            the time it could be made even better. Good luck, Jim.

                            eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/atlas_craftsman
                          • Ronald Thibault
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 27, 1999
                              At 05:00 PM 2/24/99 -0000, you wrote:
                              > I have since thrown away all receipts for the repair parts of my
                              treasure but it is nice lathe now. I have also acquired two three jaw
                              chucks , two four jaw chucks, two jacob headstock chucks, faceplates,steady
                              rest and a milling attachment. I would like to someday find a QC gearbox ,
                              follower rest and a compound v-belt "large" pulley that doesn't WOBBLE!!!......

                              You might try boring out the hub and using a bronze (solid, not
                              sintered) sleave in the bore to bring it back to size. Atlas used to supply
                              a similar sleave to adapt the 5/8" bore motor pulley to smaller motors with
                              a 1/2" shaft. I used such a bronze sleave on my lathe for the motor pulley,
                              with a notch cut out so that the setscrew could get to the motor shaft.
                              With a little fiddling with the motor position you could run the
                              motor directly to the 4 grove pulley on the counter shaft. In backgear the
                              spindle speed should be low enough to bore out the pulley. Alternately you
                              could use a modified standard (hardware store) pulley on the countershaft.

                              Ronald Thibault
                              North Augusta, SC USA

                              Builder Miinie #2
                              Captain R/C Combat Ship USS Arizona
                              http://www.toast.net/~thibault

                              eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/atlas_craftsman
                            • J. Reid
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 2 3:47 PM
                                My lathe is a 6" number 618, back geared screw cutting lathe. It seems to
                                run well for small repair jobs but haven't realy set it up with
                                any precision for serious metalworking.

                                I do want a four jaw chuck and the inside jaws for my 3-jaw chuck
                                eventually. I got a bunch of extras as part of the deal and will part
                                with them.

                                Taken together they are the basis of a "kit" for anyone who wants such a
                                lathe at minimum cost, and was considering building the Gingery lathe.
                                These parts would eliminate the job of making the large castings and
                                reduce some of the precision work needed. Some of the internal parts are
                                still available from Clausing Service corp, as are parts diagrams and
                                operations manuals.

                                1. Lathe bed with feet, worn. May need a bit of hand scraping a' la
                                Gingery.
                                2. Lead screw for above, no bearings. I may have a gear or two for it.
                                3. Headstock casting with clamping stuff, no internal parts.
                                4. Complete cross and compound slide assembly.

                                Missing:
                                1. Tailstock. You can cast and bore following Gingery!

                                Price is negotiable. Would prefer to get rid of all at once to encourage
                                a budding machinist. Can deliver anywhere in Seattle area and to Spokane,
                                Portland, etc. if you are patient.

                                J. M. Reid
                                Issaquah WA
                                98027

                                eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/atlas_craftsman
                              • Metal
                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 2 5:40 PM
[...]

                                  -> Internet stocks: hype or reality?
                                  -> FT.com. The Financial Times online.
                                  -> Click here to access more than 3,000 worldwide sources
                                  -> http://offers.egroups.com/click/220/0

                                  -> eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/atlas_craftsman
                                  -> Free Web-based e-mail groups by eGroups.com

                                  how much would you take put you e amid ok

                                  eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/atlas_craftsman