QC Gearbox up grade ?

  • renaissanceman04002 <acricket@adelphia.n
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2003
      Just out of curosity the same guy has a QC gearbox off an Atlas. Is
      it possible to upgrade a model 101 by adding on the gear box? Curious
      minds want to know??? :)
    • Randy Pedersen
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2003
        Which 101 do you have?
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2003
          I have a 12X24 101.07XX - why? Are there some models that you simply
          can't upgrade?

          --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Pedersen"
          <rpedersen1@c...> wrote:
          > Which 101 do you have?

        • Cindy/Wayne
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2003
            I have a 12" gearbox and am waiting to trade with someone that has a 10"
            gearbox that needs a 12".
            The deal has been struck so please don't ask if I'll part with this ,but for
            everone's information...
            the 10" mounts from the top through the ways, and the12" mounts under the
            ways through the flat embossed ridge on the side of the casting just above
            the feet. The 10" also requires the for/rev box to be removed and is
            relocated to a tumbler assembly similar to the 12" that the for/rev is done
            at the geartrain up at the spindle, rather than the lead screw bevel gear
            setup on the 10". I could send out some pics of the 12" gearbox if any one
            needs some clarity.
            I also am splitting up some of the 12" parts, if anybody has a case of the
            blues, cause your machine is down or broke or just not complete yet, give me
            a hollar and we can horsetrade or sell, I do have a bunch of parts! Let me
            know.
            Wayne(rice)Burner
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 1, 2003
              renaissanceman04002 wrote:

              >I have a 12X24 101.07XX - why? Are there some models that you simply
              >can't upgrade?

              The 6" lathes never had a factory QC, although there was an after market
              one, I think
              in kit form. The early, "D" models had some features that made the QC
              not quite
              a bolt-on option, but it wasn't a very big deal. The D models had a
              5/8" leadscrew,
              the later F models had a 3/4" leadscrew with a key slot for the
              crossfeed drive that
              was the big difference between the D and F. The early 12" lathes were
              basically
              10" lathes with a taller headstock and tailstock. These had a 3/8"
              thickness to the
              bed ways, too. The later 12" had a 1/2" thick bed way, and a very
              different headstock
              design that made the earlier QC box not fit. So, later 12" machines
              with the 1/2" ways
              are not compatible with the 10" and early 12" QC gearboxes. The early
              12" and 10"
              have a QC that bolts to the bed with 2 vertical bolts. The later 12"
              has a QC that
              bolts to the front of the headstock with 3 horizontal bolts.

              So, you need to make sure you get the right QC gearbox.

              Jon
            • Randy Pedersen
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 2, 2003
                acricket:

                The 101 designation only tells one that the unit you are talking about
                was built by Atlas Press Co. or Clausing Industrial Co.

                When you state 101 you could be talking about a 6", 10" or 12" lathe.
                Could also be the prefix for the metal shaper, horizontal mill, wood lathe,
                scroll saw, drill press, table saw, jointer, arbor press, hydraulic press,
                wood shaper and probably more than this.

                I did not know that yours was a 12", 10, or 6 " that is why I ask the
                question so that I would know which lathe you were trying to convert a quick
                change to.

                Have a great day
                Randy Pedersen
                Salina, Ks
                Atlas 618
                South Bend 1946 9" A, 1938 9" C
                Enco 1105 Mill Drill
                rpedersen1@...

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 2, 2003
                  WOW - the stuff you can learn - thanks Randy for that little lesson.
                  Combining this with the info from Jon is my lathe lesson for the day.
                  I'm still making ships and having fun.
                  Jerry

                • jmark.vanscoter@amd.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 4, 2003
                    Wayne-

                    Thanks for your patience. Things are progressing (slowly) here. I will keep you informed.

                    Mark V.S.