Re: [atlas_craftsman] 4 jaw for Atlas?

  • jerdal
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2003
      > I'm in the market for one and wonder if this a good bargan and any
      > opinions about value? It is a hundred dollar chuck or 50 or 200? Just
      > looking for informed/considered opinions

      Well, you can get it for $50, why not. Not for much more...........A NEW
      Bison 6" can often be had for a bit over $100, to which you add $15 to $40
      for a backplate, depending on finished or not. Cheap at the price. And it's
      not made in China.

      Used chucks are a problem. This guy may be OK, or he may not know squat and
      be convinced his goose is a swan.

      Used chucks often are worn in ways that leave the jaws loose, so they cock
      when tightened. Or the jaws may be gouged/worn/etc. That plain out sucks.
      You can't do decent work without a little box of shims.

      Why pay for the privilege of making do? Yeah, you can grind the jaws, but
      I'd not pay to do it, only for a free chuck...............

      Oh, and fitting a backplate is easy, in case that is bothering you. It was
      the first thing I ever did with a lathe, other than face the faceplate
      smooth enough to put the unfinished backplate on it. If I could, you can.

      Jerrold
    • renaissanceman04002 <acricket@adelphia.n
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 6, 2003
        Alas, that Wilson 4 jaw on ebay got away from me. Interestingly, I
        was in class last night and by the time I got home I'd been out bid
        and the auction was closed. Sigh!

        Today I went back to the MSC catalog and tried to find the $100+
        Bison 4 jaw that "jerdal" refers to in his note. I muyst not know
        where to look cuz all I see are 2 & 3 hundred dollar chucks = backing
        plate.

        ???

        Jerry

        --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "jerdal" <jerdal@c...> wrote:

        > > I'm in the market for one and wonder if this a good bargan and any
        > > opinions about value? It is a hundred dollar chuck or 50 or 200?
        Just
        > > looking for informed/considered opinions
        >
        > Well, you can get it for $50, why not. Not for much
        more...........A NEW
        > Bison 6" can often be had for a bit over $100, to which you add $15
        to $40
        > for a backplate, depending on finished or not. Cheap at the price.
        And it's
        > not made in China.
        >
        > Used chucks are a problem. This guy may be OK, or he may not know
        squat and
        > be convinced his goose is a swan.
        >
        > Used chucks often are worn in ways that leave the jaws loose, so
        they cock
        > when tightened. Or the jaws may be gouged/worn/etc. That plain out
        sucks.
        > You can't do decent work without a little box of shims.
        >
        > Why pay for the privilege of making do? Yeah, you can grind the
        jaws, but
        > I'd not pay to do it, only for a free chuck...............
        >
        > Oh, and fitting a backplate is easy, in case that is bothering you.
        It was
        > the first thing I ever did with a lathe, other than face the
        faceplate
        > smooth enough to put the unfinished backplate on it. If I could,
        you can.

        > Jerrold
      • jerdal
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 6, 2003
          > Today I went back to the MSC catalog and tried to find the $100+
          > Bison 4 jaw that "jerdal" refers to in his note. I muyst not know
          > where to look cuz all I see are 2 & 3 hundred dollar chucks = backing
          > plate.

          If I recall, I bought mine from Victor machinery on sale for about $125 or
          so. 3jaw were more, of course. The $300 ones are better than you need for
          an Atlas.

          They have regular sales, just keep an eye out.

          www.victornet.com

          Jerrold