[atlas_craftsman] closer...

  • john sandhagen
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2000
      Wahoo! Last week the feet for my lathe arrived from Enco and my 12X36
      Atlas/Clausing lathe is now as level as my $20 level is going to get
      it(and with less vibration). I bought 7' of link belt at the
      Woodworking Show to replace my old V belts and now my lathe purrs like
      a kitten. And today my tailstock arrived from Dave Sobel and it fits
      perfectly on my (brag) V ways.

      As soon as I get home, chips will fly!

      John Sandhagen
    • Jim Irwin
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2000
        John,

        Unless you got a great deal on a machinists level, you will find you will be
        cutting odd shapes or tapers if only this well leveled. A good level will allow
        you to get really close, and it is amazing how much difference this makes. I ran
        my lathe for years using whatever level I had (sometimes (blush) no level). Then
        I got a great deal on an old English on good to .005 in per ft and went over it
        again. What a difference! Mine is a 10 in Atlas on an old wooden cabinet my dad
        made for it when it was much newer (like 50 yrs or more ago!) Good & solid, and
        I have it on shims on the concrete floor of my shop. I can detect the difference
        of one business card under any foot. Getting it level and more solid made for
        better finish and straighter cuts w/o taper.

        Glad to hear about the smoother running with the link belt. My old belts are
        about worn out (but way more flexible than new ones!) so I may have to go this
        way. Uses the same pulleys?

        Make them chips!

        Jim

      • jmark.vanscoter@amd.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2000
          Sounds like we may have an Atlas/Clausing lathe in our presence. There was
          one of those critters on eBay just recently. Visit here to see it:
          http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=241981093

          Seemed to be a pretty decent deal!

          Mark V.S. in Austin, TX (jmarkvs as an eBayer)

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 1, 2000

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 1, 2000
              YES

              Someone got a very good deal (Assuming no major hidden damage or wear, of
              course). Hate to think about shipping to Texas, tho!

              Jim Irwin

              Austin, Texas 78750 irwin@...
            • jmark.vanscoter@amd.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 1, 2000
                I was planning on picking it up!

                Mark V.S. in Austin, TX

              • john perkins
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 1, 2000
                  I was bidding on this thing until I found out shipping to North Louisiana
                  was over $800.00 bucks and I didn't feel like driving to New York to get it
                  in my pickup but I would love to have had it. The seller told me it had vee
                  ways.
                  > Sounds like we may have an Atlas/Clausing lathe in our presence. There was
                  > one of those critters on eBay just recently. Visit here to see it:
                  > http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=241981093
                  >
                  > Seemed to be a pretty decent deal!
                  >
                  > Mark V.S. in Austin, TX (jmarkvs as an eBayer)

                • J Tiers
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 1, 2000
                    Since the whole point of "level" is to keep from turning tapers, even
                    without a good level you can still true it up perfectly.
                    Get a piece of pipe about 8" long x 1 1/2 inch diameter (or to suit your
                    best micrometer), and turn a true end on it to chuck by. Cut away an area
                    from there to near the end, leaving a narrow (machined) raised ring at the
                    end and near the chuck, the ring standing out maybe 30 or 40 thous.
                    Chuck it with no tailstock support, and take a light cut across the two
                    rings with your sharpest cutter. Light enough that you don't chatter with
                    the 6" or so hanging out.
                    Measure the rings. Should be the same, with the end one maybe a hair bigger.
                    If not, shim the feet until it will cut them the same. You're done, and it
                    is now "level".
                    It's a pain, but it works.
                    Jerry

                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 1, 2000
                      Jerry's piece of pipe method sounds really good esp 'cause it takes into account
                      all sorts of sins and focusses on the result we want...straight taper free
                      cutting.

                      Howsomever, I think a feller oughtta get as level as he can first, if only to
                      remove any unlevel induced stresses in the lathe bed etc that will shift over
                      time.

                      You can betcha I will be checkin' out my lathe in this way soon enough! Should
                      tighten things up a mite. Mebbe I'll even true up my chuck jaws afterwards.
                      3-jaw is pretty good already (fairly new) My ole 4 jaw needs some help for sure,
                      tho'. Sorta beat upon in it's life.

                      Jim Irwin
                    • J Tiers
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 1, 2000
                        True up your chuck first!!!!
                        If your jaws are not gripping right the pipe can / will shift when cutting
                        on the end ring, and may clout the cutter a tremendous wallop.
                        Ask me how I know this.
                        Jerry

                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 1, 2000
                          john perkins wrote:

                          > I was bidding on this thing until I found out shipping to North Louisiana
                          > was over $800.00 bucks and I didn't feel like driving to New York to get it
                          > in my pickup but I would love to have had it. The seller told me it had vee
                          > ways.

                          Yup, that's the 'light' Clausing - not an Atlas. Look at the Headstock.
                          Is it a geared head? Almost has to be by the shape, and it looks like
                          gasketed covers on it. You can see significant differences in the carriage
                          and cross slide, but the compound looks an AWFUL lot like a late-model
                          Craftsman 12". The quick change is definitely Clausing. The second
                          photo also shows the Clausing name big, and if it has Atlas anywhere
                          on there, it has to be much smaller.