9" Atlas Lathe

  • Ted Judge
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 4, 2002
      11-4-2002

      I have been restoring my ancient Atlas 9" lathe and have had no trouble up to the point of having to replace the small bevel gear inside the 3 jaw chuck.

      I sent the old gear to Griffiths Engineering (Tony Griffiths) at his request so he could compare it with a number of gears that he had. He claimed that he did not have a replacement and he said that he had sent the old gear back to me. That is a year ago now and I have Emailed him many times in an attempt to have him return the gear so I could have a new one made using the old one as a pattern to complete the lathe restoration.

      Griffiths Engineering is located in England and I can not find a way to compel him to return the gear.

      I am at a standstill until I can either buy a new gear or buy a 1905 3 jaw chuck .

      I am open to any suggestions.

      I have over $500 dollars in the restoration so far and hope there is a solution out there.

      Thanks for listing to my problems.

      Graham Judge
      tjudge@...

    • Ernest Lear
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 4, 2002
        Graham. Can I be of help as I live in England and the name ring a bell.
        Could you let me have his address & Telephone No. And you nether know if I
        turn up on his doorstep if he not far away, he might make a effort to give
        me your gear back. If I could pick it up I would post it back to you. I
        hate people that don,t do what they say they will do. So contact me.
        Ernest Lear
        Ernest@....

        > I have been restoring my ancient Atlas 9" lathe and have had no trouble up
        to the point of having to replace the small bevel gear inside the 3 jaw
        chuck.

        > I sent the old gear to Griffiths Engineering (Tony Griffiths) at his
        request so he could compare it with a number of gears that he had. He
        claimed that he did not have a replacement and he said that he had sent the
        old gear back to me. That is a year ago now and I have Emailed him many
        times in an attempt to have him return the gear so I could have a new one
        made using the old one as a pattern to complete the lathe restoration.

        > Griffiths Engineering is located in England and I can not find a way to
        compel him to return the gear.

        > I am at a standstill until I can either buy a new gear or buy a 1905 3 jaw
        chuck .

        > I am open to any suggestions.
        >
        > I have over $500 dollars in the restoration so far and hope there is a
        solution out there.

        > Thanks for listing to my problems.
        >
        > Graham Judge
        > tjudge@...

      • Ted Judge
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 4, 2002
          Earnest, First I really appreciate your offering help. I have communicated
          with Tony many of times and he repeatedly said that he had or would returned
          the gear.

          The address for Griffiths Engineering is;

          Griffiiths Engineering
          Wardlow
          Tideswell
          BUXTON
          Derbyshire
          SK17 8RP
          ENGLAND

          The person that I communicated with was Tony Griffiths.

          Ernest, I am sorry I do not have the telephone number for Tony. I will go on
          the internet and find it and will send it to you.

          Thanks so much I really do appreciate any help that you can give me.

          It has been fun to restore a machine lathe like this one. It was built in
          1903. So far It is and looks just like new. The original chuck was dated
          1905.

          Regards Graham Judge

          > Graham. Can I be of help as I live in England and the name ring a bell.
          > Could you let me have his address & Telephone No. And you nether know if I
          > turn up on his doorstep if he not far away, he might make a effort to
          give
          > me your gear back. If I could pick it up I would post it back to you. I
          > hate people that don,t do what they say they will do. So contact me.
          > Ernest Lear
          > Ernest@....

        • Ernest Lear
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 4, 2002
            Graham
            Its a long way from my house as if you look at a map. I live in Somerset
            down in the foot(The SW) and buxton is more than half way up towards
            Scotland about 200 miles away but if you let me have his phone no. I will
            call him and see if he will recover his memory and from there we see what
            may result.

            I just restored a 10F36TV model of 1946(newer than yours) is now complete
            and now I going to use it for short while and maybe regrind the bed and the
            underside of the carriage after I done few test jobs.
            Ernest
            > Earnest, First I really appreciate your offering help. I have
            communicated
            > with Tony many of times and he repeatedly said that he had or would
            returned
            > the gear.
            >
            > The address for Griffiths Engineering is;
            >
            > Griffiiths Engineering
            > Wardlow
            > Tideswell
            > BUXTON
            > Derbyshire
            > SK17 8RP
            > ENGLAND
            >
            > The person that I communicated with was Tony Griffiths.
            >
            > Ernest, I am sorry I do not have the telephone number for Tony. I will go
            on
            > the internet and find it and will send it to you.
            >
            > Thanks so much I really do appreciate any help that you can give me.
            >
            > It has been fun to restore a machine lathe like this one. It was built in
            > 1903. So far It is and looks just like new. The original chuck was dated
            > 1905.
            >
            > Regards Graham Judge

          • Ted Judge
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 4, 2002
              Ernest, the telephone # is 01298-871633 the FAX # is 01298872874.

              I do not think that it is worth a telephone call of that long distance but
              thanks very much for the thought.

              Regards Graham
            • mikehenryil
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 4, 2002
                Isn't that the guy that runs the www.lathes.co.uk web site?

                If so, he seems like a pretty decent guy, so hopefully it's just a
                misunderstanding.

                --- In atlas_craftsman@y..., "Ted Judge" <tjudge@s...> wrote:
                > 11-4-2002
                >
                > I have been restoring my ancient Atlas 9" lathe and have had no
                trouble up to the point of having to replace the small bevel gear
                inside the 3 jaw chuck.

                > I sent the old gear to Griffiths Engineering (Tony Griffiths) at
                his request so he could compare it with a number of gears that he
                had. He claimed that he did not have a replacement and he said that
                he had sent the old gear back to me. That is a year ago now and I
                have Emailed him many times in an attempt to have him return the
                gear so I could have a new one made using the old one as a pattern
                to complete the lathe restoration.

                > Griffiths Engineering is located in England and I can not find a
                way to compel him to return the gear.

                > I am at a standstill until I can either buy a new gear or buy a
                1905 3 jaw chuck .

                > I am open to any suggestions.
                >
                > I have over $500 dollars in the restoration so far and hope there
                is a solution out there.

                > Thanks for listing to my problems.
                >
                > Graham Judge
                > tjudge@s...

              • jerdal
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 4, 2002
                  The chuck is a used chuck, right?

                  So it probably is NOT worth restoring, since it is probably nicely worn.

                  If the gear was broken, chuck probably was sprung by somebody doing the
                  Hercules act trying to tighten it.

                  If it was worn, so is the chuck.

                  Either way, don't bother.

                  A new 3 jaw to fit that machine (4" or 5" chuck ) can be had at quite
                  reasonable cost, from various suppliers. You will be MUCH happier with a
                  good chuck, even if you have to make a backplate, or at least modify it, to
                  fit.

                  Jerry

                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 5, 2002
                    Jerry, believe it or not the entire chuck is in 99% perfect. the little
                    gear was worn, it still worked but I wanted the restoration to be as perfect
                    as possible that is the reason that I tried to get a new gear for it.

                    Regards Ted
                    > So it probably is NOT worth restoring, since it is probably nicely worn.
                    >
                    > If the gear was broken, chuck probably was sprung by somebody doing the
                    > Hercules act trying to tighten it.
                    >
                    > If it was worn, so is the chuck.
                    >
                    > Either way, don't bother.
                    >
                    > A new 3 jaw to fit that machine (4" or 5" chuck ) can be had at quite
                    > reasonable cost, from various suppliers. You will be MUCH happier with a
                    > good chuck, even if you have to make a backplate, or at least modify it,
                    > fit.
                    >
                    > Jerry

                  • Ted Judge
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 5, 2002
                      If he is an understanding person he must be very dense as I have contacted
                      him dozens of times and made it very clear that I need the old gear back.

                      Regards Graham
                    • alfred piszcz
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 5, 2002
                        Hi Ted
                        Have you looked at this link which is in the left hand column of
                        the A-C home page?

                        http://www.worldwidechuck.com

                        I was checking it out recently and they seem as if they might be able
                        to help you out though I don't know how expensive they are. An
                        inquiry might not hurt.
                        alstrux

                      • LouD31M066@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 5, 2002
                          You mentioned 1905 date of manufacture for lathe. Seems unlikely as Atlas
                          got into lathes in 1920's if I recall properly.
                          Louis
                        • Ted Judge
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 6, 2002
                            The 1905 stamp is in the metal along with ENGLAND.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 6, 2002
                              I am thinking of Atlas of Kalamazoo, Michigan USA. My comments apply to that
                              firm only. I suppose there is more than one company named Atlas that made
                              lathes. I doubt that anything that applies to specificly to products of Atlas
                              of Kalamazoo applies to your Atlas.
                              Louis
                            • anthrhodes@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 7, 2002
                                In a message dated Wed, 6 Nov 2002 07:31:36 -0800, Ted Judge writes:

                                << The 1905 stamp is in the metal along with ENGLAND. >>

                                Any chance you could post photos of the lathe, either in the group or on
                                another site with a link? It would be interesting to see what you have.

                                Anthony
                                Berkeley, Calif.
                              • Ted Judge
                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 7, 2002
                                  I will take a picture of the lathe and the Chuck and send it to you via your
                                  Email or in the atlas craftsman yahoo group. It will take a couple of days
                                  though. The chuck is disassembled awaiting a small bevel gear and I do not
                                  know if I can get the imprinted "ENGLAND" AND 1905 to show up but will try.

                                  Regards Ted
                                  > In a message dated Wed, 6 Nov 2002 07:31:36 -0800, Ted Judge writes:
                                  >
                                  > << The 1905 stamp is in the metal along with ENGLAND. >>
                                  >
                                  > Any chance you could post photos of the lathe, either in the group or on
                                  > another site with a link? It would be interesting to see what you have.
                                  >
                                  > Anthony
                                  > Berkeley, Calif.

                                • Robert Weersing
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Nov 7, 2002
                                    Hello Ted
                                    the earliest Atlas lathe that I have seen was a 1934 9"
                                    Sounds like you have a really old chuck on a newer lathe.

                                    Good luck
                                    Bob

                                    --- In atlas_craftsman@y..., "Ted Judge" <tjudge@s...> wrote:
                                    > 11-4-2002
                                    >
                                    > I have been restoring my ancient Atlas 9" lathe and have had no
                                    trouble up to the point of having to replace the small bevel gear
                                    inside the 3 jaw chuck.

                                    > I sent the old gear to Griffiths Engineering (Tony Griffiths) at
                                    his request so he could compare it with a number of gears that he
                                    had. He claimed that he did not have a replacement and he said that
                                    he had sent the old gear back to me. That is a year ago now and I
                                    have Emailed him many times in an attempt to have him return the gear
                                    so I could have a new one made using the old one as a pattern to
                                    complete the lathe restoration.

                                    > Griffiths Engineering is located in England and I can not find a
                                    way to compel him to return the gear.

                                    > I am at a standstill until I can either buy a new gear or buy a
                                    1905 3 jaw chuck .

                                    > I am open to any suggestions.
                                    >
                                    > I have over $500 dollars in the restoration so far and hope there
                                    is a solution out there.

                                    > Thanks for listing to my problems.
                                    >
                                    > Graham Judge
                                    > tjudge@s...

                                  • Ted Judge
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Nov 8, 2002
                                      Robert, Yes that is the case the lathe is a 1932 Atlas 9". and the chuck is
                                      a 1905 model.
                                      The chuck is in excellent condition except for the small bevel gear.

                                      Regards Ted

                                    • LouD31M066@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Nov 8, 2002
                                        Now that it is clear that chuck is 1905 and lathe is an Atlas of Kalamazoo...
                                        if chuck can not be revived you may have to bite the bullet and look for a
                                        suitable
                                        chuck that fits your spindle thread. I know you want to make your incomplete
                                        chuck usable ,but, sometimes things just won't happen the way you want them
                                        to.
                                        Things do get lost or forgotten and when all else fails we just have to move
                                        on.
                                        Do not let your experience upset your plans to complete the reconditioning
                                        of your lathe and start machining.
                                        Louis