Motor Pulleys

  • Ernest Lear
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 22, 2002
      Can any one tell me the dimension of the drive pulley Part No !0-428.
      As the one that I got from the last owner is the wrong one for an 10F model lathe. as The larger outer belt position, of the two positions, on my combined pulley don't allow me to move the belt from the smaller side to the outside without moving the motor back a long way. Now I know that the Combined driven pulley is correct because the part number on it is 9-427.

      I believe that the motor was changed at a point in time and the original pulley was left on it. The new motor that replaced it was fitted with a steel pulley from who ever it was, spare box from under the bench and their after was used with the belt in just one position.

      Now all I'm looking for are the inside and outside dimensions of each Vee on this pulley so that I can get a replacement or make one and use it again as it was intended to work.

      I look forward every day to read your comments on this, as I have learnt a hell of a lot since I'm been a member of your group.Regards from me to you all. Ernest

    • Bob May
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 22, 2002
        Sounds more like you have a pulley set on backwards. The average of the
        pulleys should allow the motor to not hardly move. A small pulley to a
        small pulley really doesn't do anything for ratio reduction. The two pulley
        sets should end up having the same size big end and small end so that the
        distance between the shafts doesn't change. Any large discrepencies between
        the sizes does indicate that the pulleys probably don't match.
        Bob May
        http://nav.to/bobmay
        bobmay@...
        NEW! http://bobmay.astronomy.net
      • tomin130
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 24, 2002
          --- In atlas_craftsman@y..., "Ernest Lear" <Ernest@e...> wrote:
          > portions of this message have been removed]

          Ernie,

          I believe the dimensions of the motor pulley are 2" and 4.5" OD.
          Some time back one was offered on eBay and the seller included the
          dimensions.

          There is a handy formula you can use that I found in the Grainger
          catalog.

          L = 2C + 1.57(D+d) + (D-d)^2/4C

          Where L=Pitch length of belt
          C=Center distance
          D=Pitch diameter of large pulley
          d=Pitch diameter of small pulley

          Even though the pitch length of the belt isn't the exact outside
          measurement, and the pitch diameters of the pulleys aren't the exact
          OD's, they're pretty close. On my TV36 Atlas, with C=11.75", and
          D=9.25" and d=7.5" (the dimensions of the countershaft pulley) both
          calculations give the same belt length of about 42".

          Does this help?

          Tom
        • Ernest Lear
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 24, 2002
            Tom
            Yes. Thank you for this information. I have sent the last 2 days trying to
            find this formula without much succest so to night I will be able to sleep
            once again. So thanks..
            Regards
            Ernie

          • cmiller231@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 31, 2002
              In a message dated 10/22/02 9:19:56 AM Eastern Standard Time,
              Ernest@... writes:

              > Can any one tell me the dimension of the drive pulley Part No !0-428.
              > As the one that I got from the last owner is the wrong one for an 10F model
              > lathe. as The larger outer belt position, of the two positions, on my
              > combined pulley don't allow me to move the belt from the smaller side to
              > the outside without moving the motor back a long way. Now I know that the
              > Combined driven pulley is correct because the part number on it is 9-427.

              Ernest , check out message 16295 im messages , 4 3/8 and 1 7/8 Chris

            • Ernest Lear
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
                Chis
                How do I get to Message 16295 that you have refered to in your reply
                Ernest

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
                  Ernest Lear wrote:

                  >Chis
                  > How do I get to Message 16295 that you have refered to in your reply

                  You need to log in to Yahoo groups at
                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlas_craftsman
                  and then click on "messages" on the left menu. There will be a list of
                  the latest messages
                  that appear. On top of that will be a little box that says "Msg #"
                  (box) and "Go". Enter
                  the message # (16295 in this case) in the box and click go. It will
                  pull up that message.

                  But, outside of Yahoo ---
                  One should not use "message numbers" in reference to newsgroup messages,
                  however.
                  These numbers are applied sequentially to each message that comes in to
                  a particular NNTP
                  server. Each NNTP server has its own (different) set of message numbers.
                  So, a message number would only appear the same to two people who used
                  the SAME NNTP server to
                  read their usenet messages.