Re: [atlas_craftsman] Pulley source.

  • MERT BAKER
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 3, 2002
      I would think that it would be a standard item. Sears? Home depot?
      Mert
      MertBaker@...
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 3, 2002
        Some parts are either get from oem or roll your own.
        I think your choices are 1) locate good used part(from group member or ebay
        or ?)
        2) make your own or locate someone to do it for you or 3) purchase from oem
        clausing atlas if they have. I would suggest checking price and availability.
        I doubt pully is a stock item available off the shelf from even a well stocked
        industrial supply house. I could be wrong on this but I doubt it.
        I will eat crow if I am. If you have old part you have source of measurements
        If not, someone here can take them off theirs if you ask.
        Louis

      • MERT BAKER
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 4, 2002
          Yep I'll measure mine if asked. 618.
          Mert
          MertBaker@...
          > Some parts are either get from oem or roll your own.
          > I think your choices are 1) locate good used part(from group member or
          ebay
          > or ?)
          > 2) make your own or locate someone to do it for you or 3) purchase from
          oem
          > clausing atlas if they have. I would suggest checking price and
          availability.
          > I doubt pully is a stock item available off the shelf from even a well
          stocked
          > industrial supply house. I could be wrong on this but I doubt it.
          > I will eat crow if I am. If you have old part you have source of
          measurements
          > If not, someone here can take them off theirs if you ask.
          > Louis

        • Chabannes Rene N Contr ASC/YCD
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 4, 2002
            Given there aren't a whole lot of pulleys on the lathes we discuss and the question of source keeps coming up, maybe we should make up a list with replacement type and source. I already have it for the countershaft pulley on the 12". If you send me measurements, I'll look for sources. Helpful dimensions include groove width (belt type), diameter at top of groove for each groove, bore size, keyway and size (if used), overall width of pulley (VERY important). I did run into an interesting situation replacing my countershaft and 4 groove step pulley. The original shaft is a few thousands undersize. The collars and one good pulley fit very snugly and it feels good in the bearings. The piece of close to on-size TGP steel I bought to replace it is very snug in the bronze bushings and the collars and good pulley didn't want to go on. I surmize the original was designed as cold finish (which is normally slightly undersized) and other parts made to match. Any thoughts?

            Rene N. Chabannes (Titan)
            ASC/YC - Productions Operations
            C-17 SPO, WPAFB, OH
            937-255-1042 (DSN 785-1042)
            rene.chabannes@...

            > Some parts are either get from oem or roll your own.
            > I think your choices are 1) locate good used part(from group member or
            ebay
            > or ?)
            > 2) make your own or locate someone to do it for you or 3) purchase from
            oem
            > clausing atlas if they have. I would suggest checking price and
            availability.
            > I doubt pully is a stock item available off the shelf from even a well
            stocked
            > industrial supply house. I could be wrong on this but I doubt it.
            > I will eat crow if I am. If you have old part you have source of
            measurements
            > If not, someone here can take them off theirs if you ask.
            > Louis

          • eziarko
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 6, 2002
              --- In atlas_craftsman@y..., "latheplaya" <derf@d...> wrote:
              > Hi,
              > Does anyone have a source (other than Clausing) for a M6-80 style
              > pulley for a 618? It's the 4-step pulley that goes on the
              > countershaft. TIA.
              > Cheers,
              > Derf

              Look up message #2470 posted 2/17/2000 for a response to a similar
              question I answered.

              Ed Ziarko (Westmont, IL)
            • eziarko
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 6, 2002
                --- In atlas_craftsman@y..., "eziarko" <e.ziarko@w...> wrote:
                > --- In atlas_craftsman@y..., "latheplaya" <derf@d...> wrote:
                > > Hi,
                > > Does anyone have a source (other than Clausing) for a M6-80 style
                > > pulley for a 618? It's the 4-step pulley that goes on the
                > > countershaft. TIA.
                > > Cheers,
                > > Derf
                >
                > Look up message #2470 posted 2/17/2000 for a response to a similar
                > question I answered.
                >
                > Ed Ziarko (Westmont, IL)

                In my previous post I gave you the dimensions I used to make a
                similar pulley out of aluminum. If you go to page 911 of the current
                McMaster-Carr Supply Co. catalog, available on line
                (http://www.mcmaster.com/), they have an assortment of pulleys on
                close to what you are looking for, but much cheaper than Clausing, if
                you are willing to live with the difference in dimensions.

                Ed Ziarko (Westmont, IL)