Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: identity

  • Bob Barker
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 3, 2002
      Hey Derf, do you mean that the date is on the bearing shell like the size
      is on the back auto motive rod bearing? My lathe has babbit bearings and it
      looks like I could take off a cap but I don't know what the bearings are
      like. Are they pored or are they inserts? Maybe I am supposed to be
      looking for some sort of number on the casting.

      Anyway thanks for getting me the rough estimate of the age, looks like the
      lathe is older than I am. Bob Barker
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 5, 2002
        Hello

        It's a "F" series lathe because it has the power cross feed and it
        was made after 1938 and before 1950. My 1950 Atlas Catalog doesn't
        show the 48" bed. Also the steady rest is the old style open side
        instead of the newer hinged steady. He also has the wrong motor
        pulley and the cross feed and tail stock handles are reversed.

        Hope that helps
        Bob

        --- In atlas_craftsman@y..., "srediske11" <shokunin11@m...> wrote:
        > Hey all! theres an atlas on ebay, # 1763297016 and I cant figure
        > out what year it is, maybe 1940? if not maybe an "old hand" could
        > prove me wrong. thanks for the time!
      • Ernest Lear
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 5, 2002
          Hello

          Bob I have a 10" F-TV36 series with the serial No 018226 stamped at at the
          tailstock end and 6-10-46 ( but it could be 40 but the 6 looks more like a 6
          than an 0) engraved in on the rear Head bearing casing. As you got a 1950
          Atlas Catalog could you e-mail me direct a copy of the page(s) that show the
          sales information for this lathe. I would be very please to obtain any
          information from any one else as well. I have a copy of a Atlas 12" Manual
          of Lathe Operation and Machinists Tables.

          Regards to all users of this type of lathe and the help that this group
          gives to each other including me.

          Ernest .
          > It's a "F" series lathe because it has the power cross feed and it
          > was made after 1938 and before 1950. My 1950 Atlas Catalog doesn't
          > show the 48" bed. Also the steady rest is the old style open side
          > instead of the newer hinged steady. He also has the wrong motor
          > pulley and the cross feed and tail stock handles are reversed.
          >
          > Hope that helps
          > Bob
          >

          > --- In atlas_craftsman@y..., "srediske11" <shokunin11@m...> wrote:
          > > Hey all! theres an atlas on ebay, # 1763297016 and I cant figure
          > > out what year it is, maybe 1940? if not maybe an "old hand" could
          > > prove me wrong. thanks for the time!

        • rweersing1947
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 6, 2002
            Hello Ernest

            By 1950 the vertical countershaft was no longer made so it won't be
            much help. I do have some price pages that look like they were out
            of a dealer catalog that I can send you if I can get the scanner
            working. One of the pages is dated 1939 and has the "F" model
            babbitt bearing lathe listed. There is a website that has a copy of
            the 1937 Atlas catalog that you can download.
            http://www.oldwwmachines.com/
            The 1937 catalog has the "D" model lathe with the vertical counter
            shaft which is about the same as your lathe. The only difference
            between the "F" and "d" model was the "d" model had the one piece
            apron and carrage and NO power crossfeed, 5/8 lead screw, and lead
            screw bearing. I have a TH42 "D" model with bearings dated 1941 and
            a TH36 "F" model with bearings dated 1939. The "D" model lathe I got
            from my grandfather when he died and I have had it since I was a
            child. My grandfather lived in Kalamazoo Michigan and probably
            picked up the catalog pages direct from Atlas. AS soon as I get the
            scanner working I will email you these pages.
            Lots of luck
            Bob

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/