N.S. Tap and Die sources

  • Buckshot
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 31, 2002
      Does anyone have a good source for National Special Taps and Dies?

      I need to locate a tap and a die in 5/16" X 20 tpi.

      Grangers (the only source in town) doesn't show them even in the big catalog.

      Thanks,

      Buckshot
    • Chabannes Rene N Contr ASC/YCD
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1 4:44 AM
        I've seen companies that stock non standard taps and dies, so they are out there - just where? I'd try a search on tap and die manufacturers or cutting tols, etc. Someone who sells used tools might have some or possibly a good old time supplier who hasn't been run out of business yet by the Wal-Mart style businesses. McMaster or Wholesale Tool might get them for you, but I'd check manufacturers first. Morse, TRW, etc.

        Rene N. Chabannes (Titan)
        ASC/YC - Productions Operations
        C-17 SPO, WPAFB, OH
        937-255-1042 (DSN 785-1042)
        rene.chabannes@...

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 1 5:14 AM
          Buckshot,

          I had a requirement once for some special tap I didn't find in MSC,
          but I noted their catalog said to call about other items. I called
          them (toll free IIRC) and they gave me a part number and price for
          it. They get from Greenfield or one of the major manufacturers.
          Sometimes it's hard for a single individual to get a small quantity
          item directly from the manufacturer. Sometimes they're great,
          sometimes they tell you to get lost.

          Jan

        • WBHINKLE@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 1 8:03 AM
            Wholesale tool has NS taps and dies in their catlog. Tap is 0307-0012 for
            $7.28 ea / page 176 and die is:0504-0245 @$7.98 ea. email :wtokla@... or
            go to www.google.com and find one near you
            bill hinkle
            in Oklahoma

            Subj: [atlas_craftsman] N.S. Tap and Die sources

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 1 10:25 AM
              Chabannes Rene N Contr ASC/YCD wrote:

              > I've seen companies that stock non standard taps and dies, so they are out there - just where? I'd try a search on tap and die manufacturers or cutting tols, etc. Someone who sells used tools might have some or possibly a good old time supplier who hasn't been run out of business yet by the Wal-Mart style businesses. McMaster or Wholesale Tool might get them for you, but I'd check manufacturers first. Morse, TRW, etc.

              MSC has a wide selection, also Grand Tool (800-922-0512)

              Jon
            • Richard Meredith
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 1 6:02 PM
                I think I replied to a thread from this request rather than the original, so
                I will send again. Try Field Tool and Supply Co. of Chicago. (800)
                621-8824, (312) 541-6500.
                Odd ball or special taps and dies are their specialty, and their prices are
                reasonable. If you can't get it anywhere else, you can usually get it
                there.

                Sincerely, Rich Meredith

                > Does anyone have a good source for National Special Taps and Dies?
                >
                > I need to locate a tap and a die in 5/16" X 20 tpi.
                >
                > Grangers (the only source in town) doesn't show them even in the big
                catalog.

                > Thanks,
                >
                > Buckshot

              • latheplaya
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 1 8:30 PM
                  I used Enco, www.use-enco.com. They had oddballs like 5/16 32TPI.
                  They should have 1/2 20.
                  Cheers,
                  Derf
                • Bob May
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 1 9:44 PM
                    Why was this on a different thread than the original post?
                    This is something that I've been seeing a lot on this maillist and have been
                    wondering why. I always just reply (use the reply button on my email
                    program) and the posts that I make are always following the progress of the
                    thread rather than starting a new thread.
                    Bob May
                    http://nav.to/bobmay
                    bobmay@...
                    NEW! http://bobmay.astronomy.net
                  • Buckshot
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 1 10:34 PM
                      Bob,

                      Probably because I have my mail client set to only display new messages.

                      Once I read them and go to another group they are not visible without changing
                      some settings.

                      So, I wanted to thank everyone and I have all ready viewed the messages, gone
                      away from the group and decided to go back and write a thank you note.

                      Buckshot

                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 2 10:06 AM
                        Sorry, but that answer doesn't cut it. I also read only new messages (that
                        is all that is in my Inbox) that I just downloaded.
                        When I read a post and decide to reply, that reply is done at that moment by
                        hitting the reply button in the menu list and I then type in what I desire
                        to reply to the group. I have only one mail list where I have to type in
                        the destination and that is because that is the way that that list works. I
                        never have a problem with making a new thread start by doing this. A new
                        thread starts when the post is done in a fashion that implies a new message
                        is being posted. Replies to a post are a different format than the format
                        for a new post so you have to be doing the posting in a fashion that invokes
                        the New Message format. That's the way that the system works!