New owner with a lot of simple questions

  • weezleoneohone
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3 9:18 PM
      I have inherited a Craftsman (Atlas)lathe model number 10107301 from
      my Grandfather and believe it dates back to maybe the 40's. The Atlas
      manual is dated 1937. I was told he took in a trade for some money he
      was owed in the very early 1950's.

      The manual says it is 6" but I'm not even sure how to tell. I'm
      not a machinist, I'm in networking(ie servers)and collect vintage
      radio's (20's-30's).

      Can anyone tell me how what this 6" is a measurement of? (is it twice
      the distance for the center of the spindle to the bed?) Also I've
      seen measurements that are 'between centers'. I give up, what is
      that? Maybe the maximum distance between the spindle and the
      tailstock?

      Does someone know for sure when this was manufactured?

      In some photos I've seen it looks like the countershaft assembly is
      actually mounted to the back of the lathe with the motor directly
      below it. This one is not. It is mounted seperately on the bench
      behind it and the motor is mounted even further back. Is this the
      original one or maybe one sold by Craftsman? I cannot find any
      markings on it (the countershaft).

      It has a 4 jaw chuck but no key for it. Anyone have one for sale or
      know where to buy just that. Also is missing the small lever on top
      of the tailstock and has a broken handle on the cross slide. Any
      leads on replacement for those would also be appreciated.

      Maybe someone could recommend some good reading material to help
      learn some of this from the ground up.

      Thanks,

      Ron Taylor
      Houston, Texas
      rtaylor@...
    • Fred & Liz Lusen
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3 10:15 PM
        Ron,

        Measure the distance from the center of the spindle (the threaded nose that
        the chuck mounts on). It should measure 3". That makes it a 6" lathe as
        you surmised. Since you are in Houston try and contact someone in the
        Huston club http://www.homemetalshopclub.org/ They will provide lots of
        help and answers to your questions. You may even want to join the group

        Regards,

        Fred
        Coppell, Texas

      • dswr@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 4 7:59 AM
          I have the same type of lathe that I purchased from Sears in 1956.

          It is called a 6" lathe because a diameter of 6" will clear the bed when
          mounted on the spindle. The "distance between centers" describes the
          longest work piece that can be mounted between centers... 60 deg. cones
          that are inserted in the spindle bore and the tailstock ram bore.

          The counter shaft is not attached to the lathe proper, but mounted on
          the workbench behind the lathe bed. The motor is also mounted on the
          workbench and not attached to either the lathe or the countershaft.

          The main difference between the 6" Atlas and the 6" Craftsman is the
          spindle bearings. (craftsman... bronze bushings. atlas... timken tapered
          roller.)

          The best source of information for this lathe is "The manual of lathe
          operations" that you can obtain from Clausing. Other good lathe books
          can be obtained from Lindsay Publications.

          Leo (in pearland, texas)

          Contact me off list is you want more info.
        • Tom Stubblefield
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 4 9:54 AM
            > spindle bearings. (craftsman... bronze bushings. atlas... timken tapered
            > roller.)

            Wrong....my Craftsman has Timkens.
            Tom
          • James L. Troe
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 4 10:41 AM
              My Craftsman does too (Timken)
              .
              > > spindle bearings. (craftsman... bronze bushings. atlas... timken tapered
              > > roller.)
              >
              > Wrong....my Craftsman has Timkens.
              > Tom

            • weezleoneohone
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 4 12:01 PM
                Thanks to all for the info.
                BTW: my lathe has bushings instead of bearings.

                Ron