Re: [atlas_craftsman] Cleaning a Lathe

  • Jay & Anne Greer
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 3, 2002
      Hi Scott,
      I use several types of cleaners, depending on how aggressively I want to
      clean.
      For general clean up I use kerosene. If I plan to paint a surface, naphtha
      will remove oil and grease and leave the surface free of oily film.
      For very aggressive cleaning I use heavy duty gun degreaser in a spray can.
      This can be purchased from most shops dealing in fire arms.
      Remember that you should always follow recommended precautions as listed on
      the container as well as just use common sense as you are dealing with toxic
      and or highly flammable materials.
      Best regards,
      Jay Greer

      > From: "panamint98" <panamint98@...>
      > Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 16:24:59 -0000
      > To: atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [atlas_craftsman] Cleaning a Lathe
      >
      > What is the best cleaner to clean 50 years of gunk from the head stock
      > and gears on my QC54 ?
      > Is there a place to buy the green color paint to paint my lathe after
      > Its cleaned up?
      >
      > Scott

    • outlawmws
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 3, 2002
        Don't use gasoline to clean parts. A year doesn't go by that I don't
        read about someone cleaning parts in gas and setting the garage on
        fire, if not a full explosion. Gas is too volatile and evaporates
        from liquid into a gaseous state, where it is highly explosive. I had
        to put out a garage fire for a neighbor, and he was cleaning the parts
        outside the big door and the breeze sent the fumes into the garage and
        was set off by the water heater. a tiny drip leak from a race car
        fuel tank caused the garage it was stored in to explode sending the
        garage door to the driveway across the street. End of race cad and
        almost the driver.

        If you must use pump fuel, use diesel, kerosene, or mineral spirits.
        is an extreme case take it out side and use lacquer thinner

        -Outlaw

        --- In atlas_craftsman@y..., "markzemanek" <markzemanek@y...> wrote:
        > Scott,
        >
        > Instead of mineral spirits I used good 'ole gasoline to degrease my
        > lathe and its numerous parts.
        SNIP
      • markzemanek
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 3, 2002
          Yep, I certainly did it outdoors and nowhere near anything electrical
          or that could otherwise cause ignition. Thanks for the story...it's a
          good reminder of just how volatile gasoline is!

        • LouD31M066@aol.com
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 3, 2002
            If you ever met someone who has had the misfortune to be badly burned and
            disfigured to the point you have to force yourself to look at them you would
            be
            less likely to use or recommend using gasoline except as a motor fuel.
            I know everyone is careful ,but, no one ever plans to have an accident. Burns
            are also extremely painful and the pain does not stop soon enough. Fires once
            underway sometimes take energetic measures by your local fire department
            to suppress that is if they arrive in time to do anything except wet down the
            ashes (rural areas please note).
            Louis...done all the stupid things,but, survived in spite of my best
            unintended
            efforts to the contrary.

          • panamint98
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 3, 2002
              ---Thanks for the info and I will skip the gas method.
              Scott

              In atlas_craftsman@y..., "panamint98" <panamint98@y...> wrote:
              > What is the best cleaner to clean 50 years of gunk from the head stock
              > and gears on my QC54 ?
              > Is there a place to buy the green color paint to paint my lathe after
              > Its cleaned up?
              >
              > Scott
            • jerdal
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 3, 2002
                > What is the best cleaner to clean 50 years of gunk from the head stock
                > and gears on my QC54 ?
                > Is there a place to buy the green color paint to paint my lathe after
                > Its cleaned up?

                Best cleaner I know of is the "purple" cleaner, like "Zep Industrial Purple
                cleaner/ degreaser", ir the similar "Castrol Super Clean" purple cleaner
                product.

                In some cases you do not have to scrub. For screw threads it usually helps
                in order to dislodge the chunks.

                I have tried the citrus products, but it takes a lot more of them , and
                time, and they won't take off oil varnish very well. On top of that, nearly
                all have pumice in them now, which is an obvious contra-indication.

                It will take off some paints, although it has failed to take off the Atlas
                original paint from some shaper parts. Took the green and yellow "scholl
                paint job" off the Atlas gray, though.

                You need gloves and glasses, it is lye-based, so it is a caustic.

                Jerry
              • jerdal
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 3, 2002
                  >> Instead of mineral spirits I used good 'ole gasoline to degrease my
                  >> lathe and its numerous parts.

                  Quite aside from the obvious fire and explosion hazard of gasolene or other
                  solvents, is the fact that they do not clean. What they do is dilute.
                  After you clean with solvent, what is left on the "clean" item is the amount
                  of crud that was dissolved in the solvent used for the last rinse.

                  By contrast, the cleaners take it all away in a chemically changed form, and
                  residues are washed off with water.

                  I would rate any minimal hazards of working with a medium mild caustic as
                  well below those involved with an explosive vapor such as gasolene.

                  Jerry
                • Sagebush9@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 4, 2002
                    I'm glad somebody said that....don't use gasoline, that is...
                  • froland0
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 9, 2002
                      Scott,

                      I started cleaning my just purchased 101.21400 with carburator
                      cleaner. It does a good job of getting the grim off. Unfortunately,
                      it also removed the black finish from the thread chart. Be carefull
                      if you use carb cleaner or any other cleaner around the thread chart
                      or any of the other aluminum name plates. That black background stuff
                      seems to come off pretty easily.

                      Regards,
                      froland.

                      --- In atlas_craftsman@y..., Jay & Anne Greer <redwitch1@e...> wrote:
                      > Hi Scott,
                      > I use several types of cleaners, depending on how aggressively I
                      want to
                      > clean.
                      > For general clean up I use kerosene. If I plan to paint a surface,
                      naphtha
                      > will remove oil and grease and leave the surface free of oily film.
                      > For very aggressive cleaning I use heavy duty gun degreaser in a
                      spray can.
                      > This can be purchased from most shops dealing in fire arms.
                      > Remember that you should always follow recommended precautions as
                      listed on
                      > the container as well as just use common sense as you are dealing
                      with toxic
                      > and or highly flammable materials.
                      > Best regards,
                      > Jay Greer
                      >
                      > > From: "panamint98" <panamint98@y...>
                      > > Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 16:24:59 -0000
                      > > To: atlas_craftsman@y...
                      > > Subject: [atlas_craftsman] Cleaning a Lathe
                      > >
                      > > What is the best cleaner to clean 50 years of gunk from the head
                      stock
                      > > and gears on my QC54 ?
                      > > Is there a place to buy the green color paint to paint my lathe
                      after
                      > > Its cleaned up?
                      > >
                      > > Scott
                      > >

                      > > TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THE LIST:

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    • bclark64
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 9, 2002
                        --- In atlas_craftsman@y..., "panamint98" <panamint98@y...> wrote:
                        > What is the best cleaner to clean 50 years of gunk from the head
                        stock
                        > and gears on my QC54 ?
                        > Is there a place to buy the green color paint to paint my lathe
                        after
                        > Its cleaned up?
                        >
                        > Scott

                        someone here suggested using dishwaser detergent, that is designed
                        to cut grease. When I was cleaning my 6" craftsman 101 that's what I
                        used. (the powder stuff and hot water)

                        Soaking parts in that for 15 minutes and brushing them lifts out a lot
                        of grease and oil. The nice thing was that I could just pour it down
                        the floor drain when I got done. You can't do that with any of the
                        other stuff mentioned here. No fumes either.
                      • panamint98
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 9, 2002
                          --Well I went and bought some of the Zep purple cleaner and WOW that
                          stuff works great, it makes the parts look like new. As you people
                          said it will soften the paint if its on to long. Now I keep looking
                          for stuff in my garage to clean. I still have to clean the headstock
                          end of the lathe. Thanks for the info .
                          Scott

                          atlas_craftsman@y..., "panamint98" <panamint98@y...> wrote:
                          > What is the best cleaner to clean 50 years of gunk from the head stock
                          > and gears on my QC54 ?
                          > Is there a place to buy the green color paint to paint my lathe after
                          > Its cleaned up?
                          >
                          > Scott
                        • Clinton Driggars
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 9, 2002
                            Where do you get the Zep Purple cleaner?
                            Clint

                            > --Well I went and bought some of the Zep purple cleaner and WOW that
                            > stuff works great, it makes the parts look like new. As you people
                            > said it will soften the paint if its on to long. Now I keep looking
                            > for stuff in my garage to clean. I still have to clean the headstock
                            > end of the lathe. Thanks for the info .
                            > Scott
                            >
                            > atlas_craftsman@y..., "panamint98" <panamint98@y...> wrote:
                            > > What is the best cleaner to clean 50 years of gunk from the head stock
                            > > and gears on my QC54 ?
                            > > Is there a place to buy the green color paint to paint my lathe after
                            > > Its cleaned up?
                            > >
                            > > Scott

                          • panamint98
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jun 10, 2002
                              --- Home Depot. It was about 7 bucks for a gallon and is mixed 5 to 1
                              with water in a spray botle.
                              Scott

                            • jerdal@cyberedge.net
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jun 10, 2002
                                > --- Home Depot. It was about 7 bucks for a gallon and is mixed 5 to 1
                                > with water in a spray botle.

                                5:1?

                                Heck, I use it straight up. Best soaking degreaser around.

                                Jerry
                              • CaptonZap@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jun 10, 2002
                                  In a message dated 6/10/2002 11:05:45 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
                                  jerdal@... writes:

                                  <<
                                  > --- Home Depot. It was about 7 bucks for a gallon and is mixed 5 to 1
                                  > with water in a spray bottle.

                                  5:1?

                                  Heck, I use it straight up. Best soaking degreaser around.

                                  Jerry

                                  I'll second that. I dissolved some 25 year old gasoline varnish, the gunk in
                                  the bottom of the tank, with a 1:1 solution. MEK, lacquer thinner, acetone,
                                  and toluene wouldn't dissolve the big chunks, but an overnight soak in Zep
                                  turned it onto a brown fluid, with no chunks. Good stuff, Maynard. CZ