Re: Chip pan

  • d_c71_2001
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2002
      Jay:

      Many people have used drip pans available from Autoparts Stores. If
      your lathe is on a bench, that would likely work out fine. If it's
      just for chips and a little oil, that should be fine.

      My Atlas 618 came with its original legs/stand and was mounted to
      (original) 2-inch thick hardwood plank.

      About two months back, I fabricated a Chip/Coolant catch pan from 1/8-
      inch steel sheet using my MIG welder.

      I cut a base the same size as the 2-inch plank, then cut sides, back,
      front to act as splash guards. I angled front and back and made cut-
      outs to allow for lead-screw gear door cover swing-out/opening.

      Created a sump to allow lubricant/coolant to drain back into SS Tank
      on the shelf under the lathe from a section of steel channel and
      welded a pipe nipple to the underside to attatch a return line.

      Will post a photo in the "Photos" section. It actually turned out
      really well. The angled front deflector does not interfere with the
      operation of crank handles.

      Let me know if you need any other details/info if interrested. Good
      luck with yours.

      Derek C.

      --- In atlas_craftsman@y..., "breaktimber" <redwitch1@e...> wrote:
      > Hi Guys,
      > Do any of you have any suggestions on obtaining or making a
      > chip pan to fit under an Atlas 618?
      > Regards,
      > Jay Greer
    • Jay & Anne Greer
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2002
        Derek,
        This is what I have been thinking of as I may want to use a coolant pump in
        the future. Yes, any more details you might be able to offer would be
        appreciated. How did you seal around the mounting bolts?
        I look forward to hearing more.
        Thanks,
        Jay

        > From: "d_c71_2001" <d_c71_2001@...>
        > Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2002 17:22:30 -0000
        > To: atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [atlas_craftsman] Re: Chip pan
        >
        > Jay:
        >
        > Many people have used drip pans available from Autoparts Stores. If
        > your lathe is on a bench, that would likely work out fine. If it's
        > just for chips and a little oil, that should be fine.
        >
        > My Atlas 618 came with its original legs/stand and was mounted to
        > (original) 2-inch thick hardwood plank.
        >
        > About two months back, I fabricated a Chip/Coolant catch pan from 1/8-
        > inch steel sheet using my MIG welder.
        >
        > I cut a base the same size as the 2-inch plank, then cut sides, back,
        > front to act as splash guards. I angled front and back and made cut-
        > outs to allow for lead-screw gear door cover swing-out/opening.
        >
        > Created a sump to allow lubricant/coolant to drain back into SS Tank
        > on the shelf under the lathe from a section of steel channel and
        > welded a pipe nipple to the underside to attatch a return line.
        >
        > Will post a photo in the "Photos" section. It actually turned out
        > really well. The angled front deflector does not interfere with the
        > operation of crank handles.
        >
        > Let me know if you need any other details/info if interrested. Good
        > luck with yours.
        >
        > Derek C.
        >
        > --- In atlas_craftsman@y..., "breaktimber" <redwitch1@e...> wrote:
        >> Hi Guys,
        >> Do any of you have any suggestions on obtaining or making a
        >> chip pan to fit under an Atlas 618?
        >> Regards,
        >> Jay Greer

      • Ronald Thibault
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 1, 2002
          At 02:12 PM 6/1/02 -0700, you wrote:
          >Derek,
          >This is what I have been thinking of as I may want to use a coolant pump in
          >the future. Yes, any more details you might be able to offer would be
          >appreciated. How did you seal around the mounting bolts?
          >I look forward to hearing more.
          >Thanks,
          >Jay

          Jay;
          Check out the Atlas section on my web site (address below), I made
          my chip pan from automotive drip pans also.

          Ron Thibault
          Warrenville, SC USA
          http://pages.prodigy.net/thibaultr/
        • mtrsickleman47
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 2, 2002
            Ron: I ran across your web sight a few weeks ago. I saw your chip pan
            idea and used it. Worked great! Zort

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 3, 2002
              Jay/Anne:

              Did you check out the Photos I posted in the "Photo" section? I
              posted two. Both have "Chip Pan" in the description.

              I used Sealing-Washers (cupped SS washers with Rubber washer
              attached) and some silicone sealer for insurance under the lathe
              mounting bolts.

              The coolant return line is some 3/4-inch flexible Clear Vinyl tubing.
              I cut a hole in a piece of channel that I mounted at the headstock
              end of the pan. The channel (1"x 2"x 8") acts as a sump and allowed
              the end to be low enough for lead-screw gear door opening.

              The back splash is 4-inches high and angled out at around 60-degrees,
              but knotched at the headstock end for belt clearance/gear door
              opening.

              The front splash guard is 2-inches high and angled out at around 45-
              degrees easily clearing the carriage hangles, etc.

              E-Mail me if you need any more info. I basically fabricated it by
              hand with the plan in my head. Had to think through a solution to
              allow the gear door to open (without leaking coolant) and carriage
              handle clearance, but basically hand fitted it together.

              Painted it and it came out really nice. Looks good and very
              functional.

              Bought a commercial-type SS 1-gallon pneumatic coolant sprayer years
              back. It has a small door on top that the coolant return line passes
              through.

              Derek C.

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Jay & Anne Greer
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 4, 2002
                Hi Derek,
                Yes I did at the keen photos!
                Pretty slick job! I was worried that O rings and washers might interfere
                with accurate shimming of the mounting flanges and solid mounting of the
                bed. I will take your advice for building my own chip pan and sump system.
                Thanks for the advice and help.
                Best Regards,
                Jay Greer

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 5, 2002
                  Good luck with it Jay.

                  I was also concerned about sealing, shimming and leveling of the
                  lathe bed.

                  Figured that since all the sealing washers are the same thickness
                  that the lathe bed would be level with the lathe stand. My stand has
                  four-corner adjustment feet, so I performed leveling with the stand,
                  problem solved (at least for me.)

                  If your lathe is mounted to a bench, you could use rubber or some
                  other suitable gasket material under the shim(s) to act as a seal.