morse taper

  • pbrboats
    Message 1 of 17 , May 8, 2002
      Hi. just traded up a sears metal cutting lathe.....the Model # is
      1092090........its a small one.....don't know much about lathes...
      but I would like to ask a question....how do you tell what size taper
      is on the tail stock?...mine is real small and theres no live
      center...just a taper with a point on end.....I would like to put a
      drill chuck on it to drill holes with....but can't figure the
      taper...looked in Machinery Handbook, but don't match....
      Its only about 1-3/4" long and 1/4" on small end and around 3/8" on
      larger end......I'm into blacksmithing and traded a cone mandrel for
      the lathe.....I made a square wrench for the cutter today, plus
      drilled a rod and drove a allen wrench in it and welded a T handle for
      the 4-jaw chuck.......any info would help...thanks.....
    • bill_collins14
      Message 2 of 17 , May 8, 2002
        Thats a #0 Morse taper on the tailstock ram.
        Bill C.
      • tjwal
        Message 3 of 17 , May 9, 2002
          Check out http://shopswarf.orcon.net.nz/morse.html for MT
          dimensions. Your's looks about right for a MT 0. The site does note
          that "size 0 is not listed in the American standard"

          John

          --- In atlas_craftsman@y..., "pbrboats" <pbrs@1...> wrote:
          > Hi. just traded up a sears metal cutting lathe.....the Model # is
          > 1092090........its a small one.....don't know much about lathes...
          > but I would like to ask a question....how do you tell what size
          taper
          > is on the tail stock?...mine is real small and theres no live
          > center...just a taper with a point on end.....I would like to put a
          > drill chuck on it to drill holes with....but can't figure the
          > taper...looked in Machinery Handbook, but don't match....
          > Its only about 1-3/4" long and 1/4" on small end and around 3/8" on
          > larger end......I'm into blacksmithing and traded a cone mandrel
          for
          > the lathe.....I made a square wrench for the cutter today, plus
          > drilled a rod and drove a allen wrench in it and welded a T handle
          for
          > the 4-jaw chuck.......any info would help...thanks.....
        • Leonard Rice
          Message 4 of 17 , May 9, 2002
            Try this page, It has all the taper measurements.
            > dimensions. Your's looks about right for a MT 0. The site does note
            > that "size 0 is not listed in the American standard"
            >
            > John
            >

            > --- In atlas_craftsman@y..., "pbrboats" <pbrs@1...> wrote:
            > > Hi. just traded up a sears metal cutting lathe.....the Model # is
            > > 1092090........its a small one.....don't know much about lathes...
            > > but I would like to ask a question....how do you tell what size
            > taper
            > > is on the tail stock?...mine is real small and theres no live
            > > center...just a taper with a point on end.....I would like to put a
            > > drill chuck on it to drill holes with....but can't figure the
            > > taper...looked in Machinery Handbook, but don't match....
            > > Its only about 1-3/4" long and 1/4" on small end and around 3/8" on
            > > larger end......I'm into blacksmithing and traded a cone mandrel
            > for
            > > the lathe.....I made a square wrench for the cutter today, plus
            > > drilled a rod and drove a allen wrench in it and welded a T handle
            > for
            > > the 4-jaw chuck.......any info would help...thanks.....

          • Paul
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 1, 2003
              Having bought an Atlas 10F recently and got it up and running with
              the help of the group, I now find myself in need of some tooling and
              a morse taper chuck. Could anyone please tell me what size morse
              taper is used on the 10F?
            • Paul
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 1, 2003
                  Paul wrote:

                  >Having bought an Atlas 10F recently and got it up and running with
                  >the help of the group, I now find myself in need of some tooling and
                  >a morse taper chuck. Could anyone please tell me what size morse
                  >taper is used on the 10F?

                  Huh? A Morse taper CHUCK? To hold your workpieces? This won't work, as
                  the Morse taper can't transmit the kind of torque needed for threading,
                  for instance.
                  The spindle is threaded to hold a chuck. The thread is 1.5"-8. The
                  spindle has
                  a MT-3 for dead centers, and the tailstock has a MT-2 for dead or live
                  centers.

                  If you meant a tailstock rotating chuck for motor armature or similar work,
                  these are rare and VERY hard to find. I don't think they've been made in
                  40 years.

                  Jon
                • Paul
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 1, 2003
                    --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson <elson@p...> wrote:

                    > Paul wrote:
                    >
                    > >Having bought an Atlas 10F recently and got it up and running with
                    > >the help of the group, I now find myself in need of some tooling
                    and
                    > >a morse taper chuck. Could anyone please tell me what size morse
                    > >taper is used on the 10F?
                    > >

                    > Huh? A Morse taper CHUCK? To hold your workpieces? This won't
                    work, as
                    > the Morse taper can't transmit the kind of torque needed for
                    threading,
                    > for instance.
                    > The spindle is threaded to hold a chuck. The thread is 1.5"-8.
                    The
                    > spindle has
                    > a MT-3 for dead centers, and the tailstock has a MT-2 for dead or
                    live
                    > centers.
                    >
                    > If you meant a tailstock rotating chuck for motor armature or
                    similar work,
                    > these are rare and VERY hard to find. I don't think they've been
                    made in
                    > 40 years.
                    >
                    > Jon

                    Probably a confusion of words by this newbie......I mean a chuck (
                    like on an electric drill but with morse taper) that fits in the tail
                    stock for the holding of drill bits to be able to drill into the ends
                    of pieces of work held in the headstock chuck.

                    Thanx

                    Paul
                  • John Glowacki
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 1, 2003
                      MT-2 for the tail stock. Don't forget to use a center
                      drill first. Otherwise the hole won't be down the middle.

                      John Glowacki

                      On Tue, 01 Apr 2003 18:56:26 -0000
                      "Paul" <stigsdump@...> wrote:
                      >--- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson
                      ><elson@p...> wrote:
                      >>

                      >> Paul wrote:
                      >>
                      >> >Having bought an Atlas 10F recently and got it up and
                      >>running with
                      >> >the help of the group, I now find myself in need of
                      >>some tooling
                      >and
                      >> >a morse taper chuck. Could anyone please tell me what
                      >>size morse
                      >> >taper is used on the 10F?
                      >> >

                      >> Huh? A Morse taper CHUCK? To hold your workpieces?
                      >> This won't
                      >work, as
                      >> the Morse taper can't transmit the kind of torque needed
                      >>for
                      >threading,
                      >> for instance.
                      >> The spindle is threaded to hold a chuck. The thread is
                      >>1.5"-8.
                      >The
                      >> spindle has
                      >> a MT-3 for dead centers, and the tailstock has a MT-2
                      >>for dead or
                      >live
                      >> centers.
                      >>
                      >> If you meant a tailstock rotating chuck for motor
                      >>armature or
                      >similar work,
                      >> these are rare and VERY hard to find. I don't think
                      >>they've been
                      >made in
                      >> 40 years.
                      >>
                      >> Jon
                      >
                      >Probably a confusion of words by this newbie......I mean
                      >a chuck (
                      >like on an electric drill but with morse taper) that fits
                      >in the tail
                      >stock for the holding of drill bits to be able to drill
                      >into the ends
                      >of pieces of work held in the headstock chuck.
                      >
                      >Thanx
                      >
                      >Paul
                      >

                      >TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THE LIST:
                      >You do this yourself by sending a message to:
                      >
                      >Atlas-Craftsman Projects list is at
                      >http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlas_craftsman_projects/
                      >
                      >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                      >http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      <John Glowacki="Signature" ROWS="4" COLS="60"><TEXTAREA
                      NAME="Signature" ROWS="4" COLS="60">
                    • Rodent
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 1, 2003
                        Grizzly and many other places sell Morse taper adapters which fit the
                        various drill chuck mounting tapers or threads. You need to decide what size
                        drill chuck you want to use, find out what mounting options they have, then
                        determine if a taper / adapter is made. The adapters with a taper will
                        probably be more accurate than ones with threads, but its more difficult to
                        remove the chuck from the adapter.

                        Stick with a decent name-brand heavy-duty chuck, aka Jacobs. Avoid the
                        no-name or OEM-style chucks -- these are typically poor quality and
                        physically larger than a quality unit. I have a very old, borrowed Jacobs
                        chuck that is still more accurate than the crap brand one that came with my
                        mill.

                        > > >Having bought an Atlas 10F recently and got it up and running with
                        > > >the help of the group, I now find myself in need of some tooling
                        > and
                        > > >a morse taper chuck. Could anyone please tell me what size morse
                        > > >taper is used on the 10F?

                        > Probably a confusion of words by this newbie......I mean a chuck (
                        > like on an electric drill but with morse taper) that fits in the tail
                        > stock for the holding of drill bits to be able to drill into the ends
                        > of pieces of work held in the headstock chuck.
                      • Brian Squibb
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 1, 2003
                          Or you could buy drill bits with MT2 taper http://www.vx800.net/23mmmt2.jpg

                          Brian

                          At 13:05 01/04/2003 -0600, you wrote:
                          >Grizzly and many other places sell Morse taper adapters which fit the
                          >various drill chuck mounting tapers or threads.
                        • Ronald R Brandenburg
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 1, 2003
                            From drill bits & key boards.com, no doubt?

                            Ron...
                            ~ ~ ~ Always remember:
                            Be wary of strong drink.
                            It can make you shoot at tax collectors -- and miss.
                            - Robert A Heinlein

                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 1, 2003
                              LOL

                              Brian

                              At 15:29 01/04/2003 -0600, you wrote:
                              > From drill bits & key boards.com, no doubt?
                              >
                              >Ron...
                              >~ ~ ~ Always remember:
                              >Be wary of strong drink.
                              >It can make you shoot at tax collectors -- and miss.
                              > - Robert A Heinlein

                            • jerdal
                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 1, 2003
                                > Huh? A Morse taper CHUCK? To hold your workpieces? This won't work, as
                                > the Morse taper can't transmit the kind of torque needed for threading,
                                > for instance.

                                There are, however, FYI, collet back chucks for the headstock, typically 5C,
                                to hold little stuff in a big lathe. Usually they are 3" or maybe 4" chucks.

                                AND, there are also rotating tailstock chucks for holding the ends of tubing
                                etc. Still sold, just look in MSC etc.

                                Never said these things were cheap, did I? They ain't.

                                Jerrold
                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 1, 2003
                                  Paul wrote:

                                  >Probably a confusion of words by this newbie......I mean a chuck (
                                  >like on an electric drill but with morse taper) that fits in the tail
                                  >stock for the holding of drill bits to be able to drill into the ends
                                  >of pieces of work held in the headstock chuck.

                                  Sorry. Re-reading your original question, I think ** I ** misunderstood.
                                  The tailstock ram has a #2 Morse taper. A drill chuck with MT 2 arbor
                                  should be easy to find. You can go cheap or quite expensive.

                                  Jon
                                • Brian Squibb
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Apr 1, 2003
                                    At 00:17 02/04/2003 -0600, Jon wrote:
                                    >Sorry. Re-reading your original question, I think ** I ** misunderstood.
                                    >The tailstock ram has a #2 Morse taper. A drill chuck with MT 2 arbor
                                    >should be easy to find. You can go cheap or quite expensive.

                                    I picked up a used Jacobs on an MT2 for about 30 dollars

                                    Brian
                                  • dswr@webtv.net
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Apr 2, 2003
                                      ... And threaded chucks that screw onto a Morse taper shank. The shank
                                      is held in by a drawbar.

                                      Makes it safer to get "up close and personal" to very small workpieces.

                                      Leo (pearland, tx)