Re: Looking for 4 jaw chuck

  • gyachts
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 3, 2002
      > Check the MSC catalog. They sell threaded and unthreaded back
      > plates. CZ

      I started searching right after posting that, and sure enough I
      found one that will do the job. I think I might try to make one
      also. After I get my boring bar set... I have a small precision
      chuck I bought at a garage sale that is probably from a jewelers
      lathe or something. I would like to make a plate for it to mount
      on. I would also like a plate to use with a center and dogs.

      Thanks for all the great info.

      Greg

      Making chips... No honey I didn't realize it was 3:00am... See all
      these pretty curled chips... Well that name was uncalled for... Be
      right to bed as soon as I finish this...
    • paul_probus
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 3, 2002
        Congrats. I believe you've already seen MSC's products, judging by
        your posts. As far as a 4 Jaw chuck, I believe I've seen somewhere
        where the Bison brand are good economy chucks, but someone with
        better knowledge of this brand would be better to ask (please chime
        in if you have experience with such brand).

        If you want cheaper to get you through until you can afford better
        (though it may turn out their good enough that you don't
        need "better"), check with Grizzly at:

        www.grizzlyimports.com

        They have cheaper chucks, probably made in China, back plates for the
        chucks and at least one live center set. Dead centers should be
        fairly cheap, I think, even from MSC.

        Another cheap tool source would be Harbor Freight. I haven't paid
        attention to their lathe accessories, but they should be of similar
        quality as Grizzly and typically their stuff is less expensive
        (though that is not the case for everything).

        I can't think of anyone else who would have what you need that is as
        inexpensive as these two companies. Jet products are made by the
        same factories but they tend to put a premium $ on their products
        that I am not sure is justified. Enco seems to be more expensive
        than MSC on the few things I have compared prices on (yet they are
        owned by MSC).

        Hope that helps,
        Paul

        --- In atlas_craftsman@y..., "gyachts" <gyachts@y...> wrote:
        > I to am looking for a 4 jaw chuck for my Atlas 12 incher.
        >
        > I've only had mine for about 2 weeks and just have enough of the
        > grime off to see how sloppy everything is. It looks like I have
        > some slop in the cross travel but it seems to only need new gibs.
        > And the carriage movement via the handle is stiff and has some
        spots
        > where it sticks. It can also be pushed back and forth about 1/2
        > inch.
        > Where should I start with the carriage to tighten everything up?
        >
        > All the threading gears seem to be ok, and the bearings seem to be
        > tight.
        >
        > I only have the 3 jaw chuck and no face plate or dogs.
        >
        > I'm also looking for centers and live centers that fit the tail
        > stock. Can anyone recommend a good solid economical set? I know
        > you get what you pay for, but my wallet is pretty thin right now.
        >
        > Greg Yotz
        > Gridley, Kansas
        > 12 inch Atlas, Minimill, rusty file, dull tools, thin wallet
      • Fred & Liz Lusen
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 3, 2002
          Paul,

          I think you have some disinformation there. No way does Harbor Freight
          begin to even approach the caliber of equipment and accessories that Grizzly
          markets. I have many pieces from Grizzly including a milling machine and
          also a local HF that I visit occasionally. No comparison between the two.

          Fred Lusen

          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 3, 2002
            I actually had a chance to meet a gentlemen at an airport about 8
            months ago that is the import agent for an Import/Export business.
            They use to represent Harbour Freight and several other discount tool
            companies and still do some, though he said HF does all their own now
            in house. He said that in fact some of the equipment that HF,
            Grizzly, Enco, Jet etc sell come from the same factories. He said
            how ever, that there are standards that the different companies use
            when buying and that there is a difference in the machines, but
            sometimes only slight ones. He said it could be anything from paint
            color to the guarenteed accuracy to the type of motor, to the grade
            of casting material. So they all look simular but are not all the
            same. He said sometimes though the cheaper will be the better but
            most times not. He said that sometimes two machines will look
            exactly alike but come from different factories. He said they steal
            each others designs or designers move from company to company over
            there.

            It opened my eyes. Check on everything and pay for what you have to,
            to do the job you want. He said, if you don't mind doing some of
            your own work on a lesser machine to save money, you can come out
            with just as good of machine as the more expensive ones. I try to do
            this when ever I can. He also said that some of the companies here
            invest more cost in operations here before shipment to the customer.
            I can't belive HF does anything. Sometimes they don't even know
            what's in a box they give you.

            Greg
          • jerdal
            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 3, 2002
              > > Check the MSC catalog. They sell threaded and unthreaded back
              > > plates. CZ

              Also Victor Machinery, www.victornet.com

              Jerry
            • paul_probus
              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 4, 2002
                Fred,

                I have been reading messages on the internet about metalworking
                machinery for about seven years now and just about everyone is in
                agreement that the factory that makes the 9x20 lathe for Grizzly is
                the same factory that makes the 9x20 for HF and Jet, Enco, etc. The
                only exception I have found is in the 7x12's. One factory makes the
                7x12's for Griz. and others, while another factory makes the 7x12
                that seems to be only carried by Homier. Now as far as Griz., Jet,
                etc. paying for extra factory prep. I have doubts that they actually
                do and much of the discussions I have read regarding this are pretty
                much split 50/50. I have probably read the same number of posts from
                people complaining about Griz. products as from HF. From what I
                understand you should not judge the HF displays in their stores.
                There are a lot of people who have been saying that they reluctantly
                ordered a machine from HF after seeing the poor quality display
                model, to find out the one shipped is much better quality than the
                display model. Whether these people compared their shipped machine
                to the equivalent Griz. in the show room, I can't answer, I would
                guess that they have not, though.

                However, this is all discussion about machines. The original poster
                wanted to know about getting an inexpensive 4 jaw chuck. Bison,
                based on what I have read about them, are supposedly pretty good
                chucks that are inexpensive. I have read that their 5C collet chuck
                is supposed to be very high quality and rivals the equivalent top of
                the line brand (is it Royal? or Buck?) collet chuck of similar
                design. I recommended getting a Griz. 4 Jaw chuck if he were very
                strapped for cash or he could check out HF, which I am not sure if
                they sell lathe chucks, I don't have their latest or large catalog.
                I don't know how good the Griz. or HF chuck would be, it may be as
                good in quality as the Bison for all I know. If neither one was as
                good as the Bison, then he could still buy them and use them until he
                could afford the Bison or save even more for the Buck (top o' the
                line). Either way, I believe the quality of either the Griz. or HF 4
                jaw chuck would be good enough as a "temporary" and a "starter" 4 jaw
                chuck.

                I'm not saying that my information is correct, I'm just saying that I
                have done quite a bit of reading on HF, Griz. and others' quality.

                Paul

                --- In atlas_craftsman@y..., "Fred & Liz Lusen" <fl.lusen@v...> wrote:
                > Paul,
                >
                > I think you have some disinformation there. No way does Harbor
                Freight
                > begin to even approach the caliber of equipment and accessories
                that Grizzly
                > markets. I have many pieces from Grizzly including a milling
                machine and
                > also a local HF that I visit occasionally. No comparison between
                the two.

                > Fred Lusen

              • Fred & Liz Lusen
                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 4, 2002
                  Duly noted.

> [...]

                  > line). Either way, I believe the quality of either the Griz. or HF 4
                  > jaw chuck would be good enough as a "temporary" and a "starter" 4 jaw
                  > chuck.
                  >
                  > I'm not saying that my information is correct, I'm just saying that I
                  > have done quite a bit of reading on HF, Griz. and others' quality.
                  >
                  > Paul
                  >
                  > --- In atlas_craftsman@y..., "Fred & Liz Lusen" <fl.lusen@v...> wrote:
                  > > Paul,
                  > >
                  > > I think you have some disinformation there. No way does Harbor
                  > Freight
                  > > begin to even approach the caliber of equipment and accessories
                  > that Grizzly
                  > > markets. I have many pieces from Grizzly including a milling
                  > machine and
                  > > also a local HF that I visit occasionally. No comparison between

                • paul_probus
                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 4, 2002
                    I have read quite a few posts on this subject in the seven years that
                    I have been reading online information about metalworking and the
                    consensus is about a 50/50 split on this. I won't say that Griz. and
                    others don't re-pack their products prior to shipping since I don't
                    know, but I have read enough posts to believe that none of them
                    really know what is in the "box". Also there have been enough people
                    who have compared all the different brands to each other that I also
                    believe that there is only a minimal difference between different
                    brands of machines. About the most "radical" change I have seen is
                    Jet's use of an SAE spindle thread on the 9x20. I don't know if that
                    is done at the manufacturer or if that is done by Jet. Close behind
                    is Micro Mark's "all inch" 7x12 lathe, which has a SAE crosslide feed
                    screw and a SAE compound slide feed screw. However, I believe that
                    is a MM modification.

                    Paul

                    --- In atlas_craftsman@y..., "gyachts" <gyachts@y...> wrote:
                    > I actually had a chance to meet a gentlemen at an airport about 8
                    > months ago that is the import agent for an Import/Export business.
                    > They use to represent Harbour Freight and several other discount
                    tool
                    > companies and still do some, though he said HF does all their own
                    now
                    > in house. He said that in fact some of the equipment that HF,
                    > Grizzly, Enco, Jet etc sell come from the same factories. He said
                    > how ever, that there are standards that the different companies use
                    > when buying and that there is a difference in the machines, but
                    > sometimes only slight ones. He said it could be anything from
                    paint
                    > color to the guarenteed accuracy to the type of motor, to the grade
                    > of casting material. So they all look simular but are not all the
                    > same. He said sometimes though the cheaper will be the better but
                    > most times not. He said that sometimes two machines will look
                    > exactly alike but come from different factories. He said they
                    steal
                    > each others designs or designers move from company to company over
                    > there.
                    >
                    > It opened my eyes. Check on everything and pay for what you have
                    to,
                    > to do the job you want. He said, if you don't mind doing some of
                    > your own work on a lesser machine to save money, you can come out
                    > with just as good of machine as the more expensive ones. I try to
                    do
                    > this when ever I can. He also said that some of the companies here
                    > invest more cost in operations here before shipment to the
                    customer.
                    > I can't belive HF does anything. Sometimes they don't even know
                    > what's in a box they give you.
                    >
                    > Greg
                  • Chabannes Rene N Contr ASC/YCD
                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 4, 2002
                      Does anyone have experience with Wholesale Tools? They have, far and away, the lowest cost 4 jaw chucks I've seen. While I'd buy the best I could afford, if pressed, I'd sure look at the Wholesale Tools chucks. You need to go to the last entry under 4 jaw lathe chucks.

                      Rene

                    • PIHPGS@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 27 , Apr 4, 2002
                        Hi
                        in the last two years, I have purchased 4 bison 3 jaw chucks w/and w/o
                        threaded
                        back plates, I have found them to be of good quality and at a reasonable
                        price.
                        we have purchased sizes from 3 inch live center chucks to 8 inch heavy duty
                        type.

                        chuck
                      • paul_probus
                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 4, 2002
                          Thank you for a definitive answer to Bison quality. As a hobbiest,
                          these would probably be my choice until another one comes along.

                          Paul

                          --- In atlas_craftsman@y..., PIHPGS@a... wrote:
                          > Hi
                          > in the last two years, I have purchased 4 bison 3 jaw chucks w/and
                          w/o
                          > threaded
                          > back plates, I have found them to be of good quality and at a
                          reasonable
                          > price.
                          > we have purchased sizes from 3 inch live center chucks to 8 inch
                          heavy duty
                          > type.
                          >
                          > chuck
                        • Richard Meredith
                          Message 12 of 27 , Apr 4, 2002
                            Try JTS Machinery and Supply. They have a store on eBay, and a real store
                            in Mentor Ohio. The eBay store is all Chinese imports, but they tend to be
                            the better quality ones. I have purchased a great deal from them, and they
                            have always made any problem right. Most of their stuff is priced with a
                            buy-it-now price that is below the going auction price for same material.
                            They usually have a selection of plain back three and four jaw chucks at low
                            price. I am using a 3-jaw 6 inch with two piece jaws from them, and I am
                            happy with it. Two piece jaws allow you to mount soft bar stock top jaws
                            that can be fixtured, or bored true for special jobs. If properly done,
                            soft jaws can give equal to or better than collet accuracy.
                            Sincerely, Rich Meredith
> [...]
                            > > line). Either way, I believe the quality of either the Griz. or HF 4
                            > > jaw chuck would be good enough as a "temporary" and a "starter" 4 jaw
                            > > chuck.
                            > >
                            > > I'm not saying that my information is correct, I'm just saying that I
                            > > have done quite a bit of reading on HF, Griz. and others' quality.
                            > >
                            > > Paul
                            > >
                            > > --- In atlas_craftsman@y..., "Fred & Liz Lusen" <fl.lusen@v...> wrote:
                            > > > Paul,
                            > > >
                            > > > I think you have some disinformation there. No way does Harbor
                            > > Freight
                            > > > begin to even approach the caliber of equipment and accessories
                            > > that Grizzly
                            > > > markets. I have many pieces from Grizzly including a milling
                            > > machine and
                            > > > also a local HF that I visit occasionally. No comparison between

                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          • William Langston
                            Message 13 of 27 , Apr 4, 2002
                              Hello folks,

                              If someone can tell me, what is the web address for
                              this Wholesale Tools?

                              Thanks,
                              Bill Langston

                              http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                              Message 14 of 27 , Apr 4, 2002
                                paul_probus wrote:

                                > Fred,
                                >
                                > I have been reading messages on the internet about metalworking
                                > machinery for about seven years now and just about everyone is in
                                > agreement that the factory that makes the 9x20 lathe for Grizzly is
                                > the same factory that makes the 9x20 for HF and Jet, Enco, etc.

                                No, I'm not sure this is true. The factory that makes the RAW CASTINGS
                                is certainly the same - but there is a long way between the castings
                                and the finished machines. We aren't used to doing business this
                                way in the US (or Europe). The company that has the castings made
                                (possibly an outside foundry) OWNS the molds, or the designs of
                                the molds, and noone else has access to the raw castings, with the
                                possible exception of someone at the foundry sneaking an extra
                                pour in once in a while.

                                The Chinese business model apparently doesn't look like this. Somebody
                                makes up the molds and gets castings poured, and then peddles the
                                castings to large, medium and small shops. And, apparently some of
                                the shops are REAL small, like a guy who builds one lathe a month
                                on his back porch!

                                The original poster

                                > wanted to know about getting an inexpensive 4 jaw chuck. Bison,
                                > based on what I have read about them, are supposedly pretty good
                                > chucks that are inexpensive. I have read that their 5C collet chuck
                                > is supposed to be very high quality and rivals the equivalent top of
                                > the line brand (is it Royal? or Buck?) collet chuck of similar
                                > design. I recommended getting a Griz. 4 Jaw chuck if he were very
                                > strapped for cash or he could check out HF, which I am not sure if
                                > they sell lathe chucks, I don't have their latest or large catalog.
                                > I don't know how good the Griz. or HF chuck would be, it may be as
                                > good in quality as the Bison for all I know. If neither one was as
                                > good as the Bison, then he could still buy them and use them until he
                                > could afford the Bison or save even more for the Buck (top o' the
                                > line).

                                I can't say anything abou these lines. I have had great luck with Phase-II,

                                and got an 8" adjustable 3-jaw chuck from Travers, made by Phase-II.
                                It is EXCELLENT, the jaws are tighter than any chuck I've ever used
                                (but then, I've never treated myself to a NEW chuck before.)
                                It holds anything round with runout near the undetectable limit
                                without recentering the body.

                                Message 15 of 27 , Apr 4, 2002
                                  Chabannes Rene N Contr ASC/YCD wrote:

                                  > Does anyone have experience with Wholesale Tools? They have, far and away, the lowest cost 4 jaw chucks I've seen. While I'd buy the best I could afford, if pressed, I'd sure look at the Wholesale Tools chucks. You need to go to the last entry under 4 jaw lathe chucks.

                                  I've bought a fair amount of stuff from them, and have always been satisfied.
                                  You should check your items, though, when you get them. I think I
                                  got some bad R-8 end mill holders from them, and just on a whim I did
                                  a runout check on them, and they were WAY off. I sent them back, they
                                  verified the problem and replaced them with perfect units. Anyway, I
                                  know I have bought stuff from them with no problems, and an occasional
                                  bad piece can happen to anybody, especially in the import lines.

                                  Jon
                                • Chabannes Rene N Contr ASC/YCD
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Apr 5, 2002
                                    The page for the four jaw chucks at a good price is: https://www.wttool.com/wtool/product.asp?dept%5Fid=17590&pf%5Fid=19040011p&sdept%5Fid=100%2C1460%2C17590

                                    Rene

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Apr 5, 2002
                                      One thing I learned a long time ago about the castings (for machines at
                                      least) is that they are all controlled by the Government Taiwan. There are
                                      5 grades, A through F. Companies like Jet, Grizzly and some others I do not
                                      know of use the best castings to start. Others like General Tool, Harbor
                                      Freight, et all use lesser grades and usually do nothing with them but
                                      assemble the machine. Jet and others also have their own quality control
                                      people at the assembly factories therefore exercising tighter control on the
                                      finished product. It is these kind of things I look for to give some
                                      measure of confidence that I will have to do little or minimal to the
                                      finished machine to satisfy myself. Of course when you look at the same
                                      machine offered by different companies you can see something (hopefully) of
                                      the quality in the price. Personally having dealt with a number of them
                                      over the years and having gotten my hands on a number of machines including
                                      having a Grizzly knee mill I think Jet is over priced. As has been said
                                      many times on this list though, you pays your money and you takes your
                                      chances.