Newby basic question

  • ukgoldsmith
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1 1:20 AM
      Can someone please suggest a site where I can learn the basics of
      lathe turning and basic lathe setup.

      Right now I need to know how to centre an odd shaped piece of metal
      in a four jaw chuck for drilling and turning a flat surface.

      Sorry if this is not the right type of question to be asking here.

      Regards
      Alan UK
    • jcgerb
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1 3:04 AM
        Hello Alan,

        There is very good stuff at the following sites even if it takes a bit
        longer for downloading.

        http://www.advancement.cnet.navy.mil/products/catalogpages/14161.htm

        http://www.adtdl.army.mil/cgi-bin/atdl.dll/tc/9-237/toc.htm

        http://www.machinist.org/army_machinetool/

        http://www.adtdl.army.mil/atdls.htm

        Jean-Claude, Switzerland
        www.homestead.com/turnandmill

        > Can someone please suggest a site where I can learn the basics of
        > lathe turning and basic lathe setup.
        >
        > Right now I need to know how to centre an odd shaped piece of metal
        > in a four jaw chuck for drilling and turning a flat surface.
        >
        > Sorry if this is not the right type of question to be asking here.
        >
        > Regards
        > Alan UK
      • Alan Lewis
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1 3:25 AM
          Jean-Claude

          Thanks for your help, I will take a look at these sites, thanks again.

          Alan
          UK
        • Jim Dunmyer
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 1 5:05 AM
            Alan,
            When I got my first lathe, a 1933 Atlas 9", I bought an Atlas lathe
            manual from Sears. It has all the basics on lathe operation, grinding
            tool bits, threading tables, etc. I use it to this day; bought it in
            1966. I don't know if this is the manual still available from
            Atlas-Clausing or not.

            Another good basic manual is "How to Run a Lathe" by South Bend Lathe
            Works. It was published in 1942 and is available from Lindsay Books,
            http://www.lindsaybks.com

            <<Jim>>

            ukgoldsmith wrote:

            > Can someone please suggest a site where I can learn the basics of
            > lathe turning and basic lathe setup.
            >
            > Right now I need to know how to centre an odd shaped piece of metal
            > in a four jaw chuck for drilling and turning a flat surface.
            >
            > Sorry if this is not the right type of question to be asking here.
            >
            > Regards
            > Alan UK

            <<http://www.oldengine.org/members/jdunmyer>>
            <<jdunmyer@...>>