Re: Shim question (Jude, David)

  • turbervilleg
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2002
      I was curious about the wear on my ways and checked it in several
      places. The worst variance is .003". I know this is 3 times the
      factory specification, am I in big trouble or is there hope for this
      bed? As a beginner I don't expect I'll be able to produce work much
      better than this anyway, at least until I learn a thing or two. I
      saw the earlier discussions on bed grinding, is there a recommended
      shop who specializes in repairing these Atlas beds?
      thanks, Greg

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2002
        HUNLEY31@... wrote:

        > Thanks,
        > I think I understand. Very odd as I have no shims at all and can slip a .003
        > feeler gage under the carriage at the ways (if I lift hard enough). By your
        > description the shims are removed to reduce play, I need to add shims on the
        > other side of the bearing plate to close the "gap," to the ways. I'll have to
        > take it apart for another look.
        > *** It's always something***.
        > Do you think I can mill off a couple of thousandths in the appropriate
        > place on the bearing plate and start over with a new set of shims?
        > Is.003-.004 worth the trouble?

        It sounds like your bed may have been reground. You will have to either
        mill the underside of the carriage or the part of the gib plate that faces
        it, so the part of the gib plate that bears on the bottom of the bed will
        be closer.