Re: [atlas_craftsman] Oil Can

  • Ronald Thibault
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2002
      At 02:14 PM 2/1/02 +0000, you wrote:
      >Going back to the oiler topic for a moment, the trigger type oilers
      >are usually too clumsy for this job. Some general purpose oils are
      >sold in cans with a narrow screw-on spout and that works (back to the
      >hardware store !!!!!). I bought a small squeeze oil can from a local
      >sewing machine store (I know, but you have to be creative) used for
      >the inner bits of those machines. It has a see-thru narrow plastic
      >spout and is ideal for pushing down those little bearings without any
      >risk of damage.
      >Brian

      I bought a "Precision Oiler" from Sears. It looks a little like a
      metal syringe, with a small metal tube for the tip. Push the ball in with
      a pick, use the oiler to flow a couple drops around the ball.
      Another idea from a post a while back, is to cut a shallow grove
      or X in the tip of a regular oiler. The cut should be deep enough for oil
      to flow past the ball when the tip is pressed against it, but still allow
      the body of the tip to seal against the oil port housing.

      Ron Thibault
      Warrenville, SC USA
      Builder Miinie #2
      Captain R/C Combat Ship USS Arizona
      http://pages.prodigy.net/thibaultr/
    • mwechtal
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 3, 2002
        Hey, that's a great idea. I probably wouldn't have thought of trying
        a sewing machine store! Thanks!
        Mike
        --- In atlas_craftsman@y..., "bgreensc81" <tigasc81@o...> wrote:
        > Going back to the oiler topic for a moment, the trigger type oilers
        > are usually too clumsy for this job. Some general purpose oils are
        > sold in cans with a narrow screw-on spout and that works (back to
        the
        > hardware store !!!!!). I bought a small squeeze oil can from a
        local
        > sewing machine store (I know, but you have to be creative) used for
        > the inner bits of those machines. It has a see-thru narrow plastic
        > spout and is ideal for pushing down those little bearings without
        any
        > risk of damage.
        > Brian
      • mwechtal
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 3, 2002
          Jerry,
          I was thinking of making a new tip, but I hadn't thought about
          needing a cross cut. Thanks for the "TIP"! (Pun intended)
          Mike
          --- In atlas_craftsman@y..., "jerdal" <jerdal@c...> wrote:

          > Having become irritated with the large nose on pump oil cans when
          oiling
          > ball oilers, I made a replacement screw-on nose to do it.
          > It is a needle-nose, with diameter large enough to seat on the
          hole, a taper
          > sufficient to press the ball in but still allow seating, and a
          cross-cut on
          > the tip, to allow the oil to escape into the oiler. Hardened after
          > machining. Works quite well.
          > Jerry
        • mwechtal
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 3, 2002
            Ron,
            It looks like I need to make a trip to Sears, check out the Sewing
            Machine store, and make a new tip for a trigger oiler. Somewhere in
            there, I should find one that I like! Thanks for the tip.
            Mike