Re: [atlas_craftsman] Oval Holes

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2002
      HUNLEY31@... wrote:

      > Hi List,
      > I've searched the Atlas/Craftsman website and can't find what I need. I'm
      > not sure It's working right. Anyway, I think a couple of weeks ago someone
      > posted directions for drilling oval holes. Never in my life I thought that
      > I'd need this information, but here I am with a need. Does anyone remember
      > the post and can point me in the right direction?

      I think there was an article in Home Shop Machinist about Nov/Dec 2001
      about a lathe modified to do this. It takes a fairly complex mechanism
      to either move the lathe crossslide in time with the spindle rotation, or
      an even more comlex mechanism to move a rotating slide on the spindle
      to make the part move elliptically. I searched Village Press' index online
      and couldn't find it. It must have been in Machinist's workshop, which
      doesn't have the article index entered for most of 2001 yet.
      If I see the article, I'll post the issue.

      Jon
    • stevenhkb
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2002
        If its an oval hole in thin plate or sheet, clamp a piece of suitable
        material to the plate top and bottom so you have a face at right
        angles to the drill bit. Mount at a suitable angle (a trig problem I
        don't want to get into) and drill with round bit. The resulting hole
        drilled thru the plate will show as a elipse. It the plate is thick,
        you will have angled sides, which may or may not be a problem
        solvable by a small round file. What is the exact problem, is the
        hole a true elipse or to suit some piece of metal?
        Steve

        --- In atlas_craftsman@y..., Jon Elson <elson@p...> wrote:
        > HUNLEY31@a... wrote:
        >
        > > Hi List,
        > > I've searched the Atlas/Craftsman website and can't find what I
        need. I'm
        > > not sure It's working right. Anyway, I think a couple of weeks
        ago someone
        > > posted directions for drilling oval holes. Never in my life I
        thought that
        > > I'd need this information, but here I am with a need. Does anyone
        remember
        > > the post and can point me in the right direction?
      • R and J Sport
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 4, 2002
          It was in the Machinists Workshop about 6 mo ago.

          Jim