[atlas_craftsman] Re: Whats a Cabinet Model Atlas 12"x36" worth?

    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 1, 1999
      mkcent@... wrote:

      > I'd say you got a pretty good deal Jon,Mine was worn out when I bought
      > it for $750. I've done a lot of work on it and had the way tops reground
      > (blanchard). It's a lot better but still not what anyone would call
      > precesion.

      Yup, I'm real happy with mine. I can turn anything that is rigid enough
      to not deflect badly to .001" over it's full length, and can grind to well
      under .001" over its length with no trouble, and no doubt that the part
      will come out without taper. A very good feeling! (My old, 10" Atlas
      wasn't in bad shape, but you couldn't turn things without always keeping
      an eye out for taper when you least expected it.)

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/atlas_craftsman
    • Ronald Thibault
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 2, 1999
        At 08:35 PM 1/30/99 -0500, you wrote:
        >Marty,
        > I bought mine (at an admitted steal), equipped like that one (except for
        >the 4 jaw), for
        >

        >$450!
        >
        >Charlie
        >(and the guy even drove it to my house in his van!)

        Charlie;
        To paraphrase a line from "The Hobbit". "We hates you, we hates
        you!" :-)

        Ronald Thibault
        North Augusta, SC USA

        Builder Miinie #2
        Captain R/C Combat Ship USS Arizona
        http://www.toast.net/~thibault

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/atlas_craftsman
      • Charles Gallo
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 2, 1999
          Ron,
          Don't feel all that bad - the 3 jaw chuck had seen better days, and the
          steady rest needed repainting <g>. Of course, the next day, I was at
          Travers tool (They had a sale going) - Bought a new Bison chuck, and an AXA
          tool post set - spent as much on those as I did on the lathe!

          Charlie

          At 07:32 PM 2/2/99 -0500, you wrote:
          <snip>

          >Charlie;
          > To paraphrase a line from "The Hobbit". "We hates you, we hates
          >you!" :-)

          <snip>

          eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/atlas_craftsman
        • Jeff Yanke
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 3, 1999
            Hi Charlie, My name is Jeff. This place you shopped at Travers tool have
            parts for older craftsman lathes such as tool posts or threading gears. If
            so where is this place located and do they have a catalog for mail order
            business. We're always looking for a source for parts. Thanks......Jeff

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 3, 1999
              Hi Jeff,
              Travers Tool? Nope, no parts for Atlas lathes! They are a Machine shop
              supply house (800) 221-0270. They are like MSC or J&L. Their main supply
              house is about 1-2 miles from my home. Before MSC moved to PA, I could get
              there in 20 minutes (about 15 miles). I use MSC for most stuff, but
              Travers for some stuff. Now days, if I need it same day, it's Travers

              Charlie