Re: [atlas_craftsman] 109 backplate and chuck

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 2, 2001
      email@... wrote:

      > First I need to say thanks for all the great info! Here's a tough
      > one. I would like to get my 109-2063 running but I can't find a
      > chuck for it. Can someone tell me what the relationship between a
      > back plate and the chuck is? I'm starting school and would like to
      > have my lathe available. Any suggestions on where I could aquire a
      > back plate and chuck. Can I modify something new to work on my old
      > lathe. Any response would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

      There are some one-piece chucks which do not have a backplate.
      Many chucks for the lathes with threaded spindles use a backplate
      between the chuck and spindle. If you have a face plate, you can
      use it to machine a backplate out of any suitable material. if you
      don't have a faceplate, then you need a backplate that is big enough
      to mount the chuck, and has the correct spindle thread to mount
      on the spindle. Then, once the backplate is mounted on the spindle,
      to face the front off smooth, and cut any register required fro the chuck.
      Then, you mount the chuck to the backplate and use a transfer punch
      to mark the holes for the bolts that secure the chuck to the backplate.
      You drill and tap these holes, and generally use socket head cap screws
      to mount the chuck to the backplate.

      If you cannot get a backplate that already has the correct spindle thread,
      then you will have to cut the thread on the lathe. It is about a 1/2 hour
      job. Travers, MSC, J&L, KBC, Quad Tool and others sell blank backplate
      castings for this purpose.

      Jon
    • Mike Spring
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 3, 2001
        I would strongly suggest that you pursue either of the options mentioned in
        earlier posts about either Sherline or Taig chucks, rather than using a back
        plate. You really don't want to hang a chuck very far out on the 109's half
        inch dia. spindle. Both the Sherline and Taig chucks are small and short,
        so they minimize overhang. The Sherline is more expensive, so I went with
        the Taig, and it has been completely satisfactory. I wasn't aware of the
        3/4-16 to 1/2-20 adapter, so made my own adapter on the lathe. I would
        suggest you try that also, in case your spindle is bent. Mine was out
        enough to put a .030 wobble in a bar chucked in the 1/2 inch Jacobs chuck
        that came with my lathe (measured right at the chuck jaws, about 3" from the
        spindle flange could cut a great taper!). If you have a dial indicator,
        check the spindle runout ( best would be to check it on the MT#0 inside
        taper, or if you have a dead center, on it.) If there is any perceptible,
        You should probably make an adaptor. It has been described several times in
        earlier posts. In my case, I had a 1 inch bar that i cut off and hand filed
        as flat and square on the end as I could, then drilled and tapped the 1/2-20
        inside thread. I threaded it onto the spindle, then cut the 3/4-16 thread on
        the lathe. My first threading project!