Re: [atlas_craftsman] RE: Sorry I lied - Floating Reamers

  • dswr@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2001
      When I use "chucking reamers" , I chuck them. (in the drill press or
      tail stock chuck on the lathe)

      Home made "D" reamers, I hold in a tap holder. (reaming with one of
      these babies will make you wish "you'd ate your wheaties") 8-)

      Leo
    • Dana Zimmerman
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2001
        I just checked the full archive for 'floating reamer.' The only mention was
        in #8257 where Bucky
        mentioned he could not afford one. Is it possible you are confusing this
        with another group? I have been looking for about 2 years for a drawing of a
        floating reamer holder both on the net and in whatever books I can find, and
        struck out.

        For the record, a floating reamer holder is one that can drive a reamer as
        in a lathe or mill, but allows the reamer centerline to follow the hole, for
        both angular and concentric alignment.
        This is desirable for all reaming, and mandatory for accurate firearms
        chamber reaming. Unless you are the sort of gent who can hand-ream a .308
        chamber, in which case I apologize.

        Commercial floating reamer holders are rare and expensive, and design
        drawings are even scarcer, AFAIK.

        P.S. Richard, please start a new thread; "Sorry I lied" is beginning to
        pall.
        Or maybe you could change your Yahoo ID to "Sorry I lied." :)

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2001
          Have a look at:

          http://sommatool.com/catalog/tool.holders/floating.reamer.holders.asp

          and

          http://www.mansonreamers.com/New%20Tools.htm

          Mr. Manson's price is the cheapest I have seen.

          Note: the first link address will likely be "line-wrapped" by the
          list engine, and will have to be patched back together by the user to work.
        • Richard Parker
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 4, 2001
            Dana,

            >For the record, a floating reamer holder is one that can drive a reamer as
            >in a lathe or mill, but allows the reamer centerline to follow the hole, for
            >both angular and concentric alignment.

            I was under the impression that a reamer would follow the hole regardless
            of how it was driven...

            >This is desirable for all reaming, and mandatory for accurate firearms
            >chamber reaming. Unless you are the sort of gent who can hand-ream a .308
            >chamber, in which case I apologize.

            FWIW, I never found that a "floating reamer holder" was mandatory to cut
            chambers in rifle barrels. The way Master Spann taught us to do them at CST
            was to first set up the barrel blank between centers, with a dog and
            driving plate at the headstock. Then, the breech end was held in a steady
            rest, the thread detail was machined, and the chamber was cut using a
            reamer held with a T-handle and a dead center in the tailstock.

            Always worked for me, and the groups have been spectacular!

            Best,

            Rich

            R.W. Parker
            Master Gunmaker
            http://parker.faithweb.com/
          • James Meyer
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 4, 2001
              On Tue, 04 Sep 2001 08:06:57 -0400, Richard Parker <edendwellers@...> said:

              >I was under the impression that a reamer would follow the hole regardless
              >of how it was driven...

              >driving plate at the headstock. Then, the breech end was held in a steady
              >rest, the thread detail was machined, and the chamber was cut using a
              >reamer held with a T-handle and a dead center in the tailstock.

              Holding a reamer in a T-handle *is* a floating reamer.

              Things would be much different if you chucked the reamer in the
              tailstock and used it that way.

              Jim
            • Richard Parker
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 5, 2001
                Jim,

                >and the chamber was cut using a
                > >reamer held with a T-handle and a dead center in the tailstock.
                >
                > Holding a reamer in a T-handle *is* a floating reamer.
                >
                > Things would be much different if you chucked the reamer in the
                >tailstock and used it that way.

                Hmmm....yer right! Apparently, I've been using the "floating" method for
                years, but never really thought about what it was called.

                Another application is a small dead center in the spindle on a Bridgeport,
                useful when tapping small blind holes with a T-handle tap wrench.

                So, what's with this "floating reamer holder"? When I find out what it is,
                do you suppose I'll wonder how I ever got along without one for the last 20
                years?

                Best,

                Rich
              • Bob May
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 5, 2001
                  Technically, using the reamer holder by hand is a floating holder while
                  putting it against the tailstock center really isn't. A minor point but one
                  for when you start working a reamer it does matter.
                  Also, you should minimize the side forces on a reamer when you put it into
                  the hole as this will oval the hole out a bit.
                  Bob May
                  http://nav.to/bobmay
                  bobmay@...