Re: [atlas_craftsman] Grinding speed (was sorry I lied)

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2001
      jerdal wrote:

      > > Usually you do this kind of grinding
      > > in a low back-gear speed, too.
      >
      > That was what I thought also, until I got chatter marks grinding. A guy on
      > the Chaski board told me to run the lathe at the highest speed.
      > I did it, and got the best finish ever.

      I have had excellent results grinding at low speed. I do get a very slight
      pattern at 1/8" spacing, due to some slight rocking of the carriage by the
      rotation of the leadscrew. I've never gotten anything like a chatter mark,
      but then I cut pretty close to final size before putting the grinder on the
      lathe.

      If you run the lathe at high speed, you would have to make many passes,
      or have some other method of providing a very slow carriage feed.