Re: New Guy

  • cravdraa@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 45 , Aug 1, 2001
      I thought there was no such thing as having the ways ground, because
      of the loss of accuracy. You can get new 101.21400 beds from
      Clausing. I suppose if you did you would also need to grind down the
      bottom of the headstock casting the same distance to keep it
      accurate, as well as the tailstock,interesting idea. Does any pro
      here have any expertise on this please?

      Alex

      --- In atlas_craftsman@y..., guyiii@h... wrote:
      Hi - I'm Guy from Sandy Eggo - new here (bt on the Gingery, Unimat
      and other boards). I just received my Dad's 6" Craftsman 101 lathe,
      that he bought used in 1946 from the first owner. It's had some
      tough use since then (when loaned out). When I get it cleaned up, I
      may need (or want) to get the ways ground. Any experiences on this
      topic?

      Thanx
      Message 45 of 45 , Apr 23
        Unfortunately, neither one.  The part number of the main housing casting and finished part is L6-1001.  This is probably cast in somewhere but it must be on the inside as it isn't visible when the box is on the lathe.  The part number of the housing for the 2nd and 3rd versions is 386-031.

        The instruction manuals for the 101.21040 and 101.210451 are in Files.

        I used to turn (bore) 10" Land Rover brake drums on my 3996.  Couldn't do 11" ones, though, as the drum OD was around 13".  Most satisfactory way that I found to mount the drums was to use a spare hub with the outer bearing cup removed.  Mount the drum on the hub and chuck on the hub ID.  Chucking on the drum ID can't be depended upon for acceptable concentricity.

        Robert Downs - Houston

        In a message dated 04/23/2015 07:27:39 AM Central Daylight Time, atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com writes:
        Is the part # on the gear box cast in or on an id tag?

        db45acp,  Thanks for the link. It looks like the bxa is a bit large in there. I think I'll go with an axa for now and if I need to for some reason get into a bxa later on.   Brakes are something I was wondering if I would be able to do on this lathe seeings I do all my own auto work it would be nice not to have to drive 1/2 hour to get it done.

        The chuck at grizzly looks really close to the one I have but mine measures 5" on the face and is deffinetly older.

        Posted by: raleighjon@...