Re: [atlas_craftsman] Digest Number 542

  • S1
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2001
      Drill chucks generally have a 1/2 20 THD or a 3/8 24 THD.
      Some high end chucks use the 5/16 thread. Jacobs makes some nice plain bearing
      chucks that have a 1/2 20 THD. If the thread on the arbor is the same as the
      chuck, you can just put thread the aluminum piece back on it if you ever find
      out what it was used for.
      -Gabe

    • JMartin957@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2001
        In a message dated 6/30/2001 5:00:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        tdstubb@... writes:

        << On the threaded large end of this #1 MT shaft is a round piece of aluminum
        2
        1/4" dia. x 1" thick screwed onto it. Looks like 1/2" thread but haven't
        checked the pitch. The aluminum piece has a 1" flat-bottom recess about 3/8"
        into the center of it. A set screw is threaded into the side of this piece
        to hold something in the 1" recess. The #1 MT shaft has the numbers 21532
        stamped into the small end. What it could be, I don't have a clue. If
        someone out there knows what this lathe accessory is, I could determine
        whether I want to adapt it for threading the holes in my new tool post or
        not.
        Thanks for any help!

        Tom Stubblefield
        SW Missouri
        A/C 618 owner/learning operator

        Tom:

        Sounds like a tailstock die holder to me. Useful piece. You'll probably
        find yourself using it for threading more often than you single point thread.

        John Martin
      • Thomas Stubblefield
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 1, 2001
          Thanks to all who responded to my questions!!! You all are a big help. As it
          turns out, I don't have to rethread the arbor or tear anything up. The
          thread turned out to be 1/2-20 RH so now all I have to do is figure out how
          to get the #2mt arbor off my Jacobs 1/2" drill chuck. Opened the jaws and
          there's no screw inside so it should just unscrew CCW with a little
          persuasion. Correct?

          Tom Stubblefield
          SW Missouri
          A/C 618 owner

        • hja13@uswest.net
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 1, 2001
            I'll need it for making the tool post. I have a #1 MT tapered gadget
            I got
            > with the lathe that I can use the shank off of. I'll need to
            rethread the
            > end of it to fit the drill chuck for the tailstock but need to know
            what it
            > is before I destroy it.
            > On the threaded large end of this #1 MT shaft is a round piece of
            aluminum 2
            > 1/4" dia. x 1" thick screwed onto it. Looks like 1/2" thread but
            haven't
            > checked the pitch. The aluminum piece has a 1" flat-bottom recess
            about 3/8"
            > into the center of it. A set screw is threaded into the side of this
            piece
            > to hold something in the 1" recess. The #1 MT shaft has the numbers
            21532
            > stamped into the small end. What it could be, I don't have a clue.
            If
            > someone out there knows what this lathe accessory is, I could
            determine

            I would say it is a home made die holder, or it could be just a simple
            drill pad. Both are very useful at times. Morse #1 taper to Jacobs
            taper adapters are very inexpensive $3.39 from ENCO, save your die
            holder for future work. My 2 cents anyway.

            ---Jim---
            Taig Mill Taig Lathe
            Atlas 618
            Arvada Colorado
          • Richard Meredith
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 1, 2001
              Tom
              You might want to be careful when you try to remove the chuck arbor. Jacobs
              chucks that were intended for industrial applications such as drill presses,
              lathes, etc. quite frequently have female Jacobs tapers (a short stubby self
              locking taper similar to morse). On chucks like these the arbor must be removed
              with a tapered fork driven between the chuck and the arbor. A Jacobs taper
              seats like it was welded.
              Just a thought, Rich Meredith

              Thomas Stubblefield wrote:

              > Thanks to all who responded to my questions!!! You all are a big help. As it
              > turns out, I don't have to rethread the arbor or tear anything up. The
              > thread turned out to be 1/2-20 RH so now all I have to do is figure out how
              > to get the #2mt arbor off my Jacobs 1/2" drill chuck. Opened the jaws and
              > there's no screw inside so it should just unscrew CCW with a little
              > persuasion. Correct?
              >
              > Tom Stubblefield
              > SW Missouri
              > A/C 618 owner

            • S1
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 1, 2001
                Thomas-
                The chuck on your #2 morse taper chuck adapter may be a Jacobs Taper, rather
                than a thread on. The majority of the chucks mounted on arbors like that, that
                I've seen anyways, are all some Jacobs Taper. JT33, JT 6 and JT3 are real
                common ones. It will be stamped on the chuck body somewhere what kind of
                mounting is required. Almost all stationary drilling equipment (R8 or MT) use
                a Jacobs taper. Even old Straight bore drilling equipment used Jacob tapers.
                Just buy a new #1 MT arbor that has the proper Jacobs taper, if your chuck uses
                that mounting system.
                -Gabe

                Thomas Stubblefield wrote:

                > Thanks to all who responded to my questions!!! You all are a big help. As it
                > turns out, I don't have to rethread the arbor or tear anything up. The
                > thread turned out to be 1/2-20 RH so now all I have to do is figure out how
                > to get the #2mt arbor off my Jacobs 1/2" drill chuck. Opened the jaws and
                > there's no screw inside so it should just unscrew CCW with a little
                > persuasion. Correct?
                >
                > Tom Stubblefield
                > SW Missouri
                > A/C 618 owner

              • Dana Zimmerman
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 2, 2001
                  A tool post similar to the one at Mr. Carlson's page is sold by the KRF
                  company P.O. Box 783 St Joseph MO 49085, as the OMNI-POST. They are a great
                  company for the amateur. They will sell you a fully finished tool post set,
                  or a kit of raw materials and instructions with dimensioned drawings, or
                  just the drawings and instructions. They will even sell fully-finished
                  individual pieces, if you can make most of it but get stuck on one part.
                  Their fully made tools are case-hardened, and finished.
                  I have no interest in KRF other than as a satisfied customer. They
                  advertise regularly in "Home Shop Machinist" and their URL is
                  www.krfcompany.com

                  Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 15:04:43 -0500
                  From: "Thomas Stubblefield" <tdstubb@...>
                  Subject: Toolholder Plans

                  I'm replacing my lantern style tool post on my 618 and was wondering if
                  there were any plans out there for something simple that would hold a boring
                  bar and an insert holder. The Aloris and others are beyond my scope as I
                  don't have a mill or other means to cut the dovetails.
                  Don't want to buy one when I can make it myself. After all, that's why we
                  bought these lathes, right? Thanks for any help.
                  Regards,
                  Tom

                • bob.keese@gsa.gov
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 3, 2001
                    www.krfcompany.com is not a valid URL.

                    "Dana Zimmerman" <dana.zimmerman@...> on 07/02/2001 02:24:56 PM

                    Please respond to atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com

                    To: atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com
                    cc: (bcc: Robert M. Keese/JPM/CO/GSA/GOV)

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 3, 2001
                      It works for me!

                      Randy Pedersen
                      Atlas 618
                      South Bend 9" A
                      South Bend 9" C

                      Support anti-Spam legislation.
                      Join the fight http://www.cauce.org/
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 3, 2001
                        maybe I should have said:

                        http://www.krfcompany.com/

                        This is cut and paste from the page itself, which I am looking at now.
                        Failing that, their toll free number is 800-857-6664.

                        Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 15:04:43 -0500
                        From: "Thomas Stubblefield" <tdstubb@...>

                      • anthrhodes@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 4, 2001
                          In a message dated Tue, 3 Jul 2001 06:57:18 -0400, Bob Keese wrote:

                          << www.krfcompany.com is not a valid URL. >>

                          Are you certain? I just went to:
                          http://www.krfcompany.com/
                          and had no dificulty.

                          Anthony
                          Berkeley, Calif.
                        • bob.keese@gsa.gov
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 5, 2001
                            It works today!

                            anthrhodes@... on 07/05/2001 02:40:18 AM

                            Please respond to atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com

                            To: atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com
                            cc: (bcc: Robert M. Keese/JPM/CO/GSA/GOV)

                            Subject: [atlas_craftsman] Re: Digest Number 542