Re: [atlas_craftsman] QC Change Gear Setup for Metric Thread Help

  • Harold Cook
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 7, 2001
      Randy:

      I know it sounds dumb, but yep, it's absolutely certain to be a 1.60 mm
      pitch. It matches up perfectly with a metric thread gage of this pitch. This
      would be an Italian gunbuilder's thread of some sort. It appears to be a
      normal 60 degree metric thread form, cut slightly deeper and sharper than
      our Unified National thread, as one would expect.

      MacThomas

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 7, 2001
        macthomas2001@... wrote:

        > I could sure use some help here. I'm trying to reproduce a 1.60 mm
        > pitch metric thread on my 10" Atlas with a QC box. Can ANYBODY out
        > there give me the gear setup and QC lever positions to obtain this
        > thread?

        Don't have the QC, but with change gears you get real close
        with the 32 compound driving 44/36 and the 36 driving 52 on
        the screw. Gives 15 8/9 tpi = 1.5986 mm pitch.

        1.6 mm pitch = 15.875 tpi. 16 tpi may be close enough for
        some uses.

        Best,

        Jude Miller
      • Harold Cook
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 7, 2001
          Unfortunately, Jude, the QC box seems to change everything; at least that's
          been my experience in reviewing the change gear charts. Thanks for the help,
          though.

          By the way, I tried a 16 tpi thread and it didn't quite do it. It was off
          just enough to stop the parts from screwing together about halfway in. I
          suppose I could just cut the thread a little deeper, but then the
          male/female mating wouldn't be so good.

          MacThomas

          > Don't have the QC, but with change gears you get real close
          > with the 32 compound driving 44/36 and the 36 driving 52 on
          > the screw. Gives 15 8/9 tpi = 1.5986 mm pitch.
          >
          > 1.6 mm pitch = 15.875 tpi. 16 tpi may be close enough for
          > some uses.
          >
          > Best,
          >
          > Jude Miller
        • Jude Miller
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 7, 2001
            I don't have a QC, but I do have Manual of Lathe Operation.
            Make a gear assembly 44/36. Set your QC for 26 tpi. Install
            the 44/36 assembly with compound 32 driving 44 and 36 driving
            QC gears through an idler. Should get you 1/2 * 44/36 * 26
            = 15 8/9 tpi. This is based on the description in the manual
            for the 12" QC.

            Best,

            Jude Miller

            Harold Cook wrote:

            > Unfortunately, Jude, the QC box seems to change everything; at least that's
            > been my experience in reviewing the change gear charts. Thanks for the help,
            > though.
            >
            > By the way, I tried a 16 tpi thread and it didn't quite do it. It was off
            > just enough to stop the parts from screwing together about halfway in. I
            > suppose I could just cut the thread a little deeper, but then the
            > male/female mating wouldn't be so good.
            >
            > MacThomas
            >
            > > Don't have the QC, but with change gears you get real close
            > > with the 32 compound driving 44/36 and the 36 driving 52 on
            > > the screw. Gives 15 8/9 tpi = 1.5986 mm pitch.
            > >
            > > 1.6 mm pitch = 15.875 tpi. 16 tpi may be close enough for
            > > some uses.
            > >
            > > Best,
            > >
            > > Jude Miller

          • Harold Cook
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 8, 2001
              Jude:

              I tried it tonight and it worked like a champ. Thanks for the assist -
              MacThomas

            • anthrhodes@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 8, 2001
                In a message dated Fri, 08 Jun 2001 01:05:51 -0000, MacThomas wrote:

                << I could sure use some help here. I'm trying to reproduce a 1.60 mm pitch
                metric thread on my 10" Atlas with a QC box. Can ANYBODY out there give me
                the gear setup and QC lever positions to obtain this thread? >>

                If you have the Atlas Manual of Lathe Operations, look in the Thread Cutting
                on the 12" QC section (Page 130 in my copy). There is no 1.6 mm. pitch listed
                but there is a setup for 0.8 mm. pitch. Try this gear train but set the
                levers in the "A" and "4" positions (instead of "B" and "4").

                (All settings using the "A" position should be twice the pitch of those using
                the "B" position.)

                If you don't have the manual and you really do need 1.6 mm. pitch tell me and
                I'll list it for you.

                Anthony
                Berkeley, Calif.
              • Harold Cook
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 9, 2001
                  Well, duh.

                  Why didn't I think of that? Now I'm embarrassed.

                  Thanks.
                  MacThomas