Re: [atlas_craftsman] QC Change Gear Setup for Metric Thread Help

  • Randy
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 7, 2001
      MacThomas:

      Are you sure it is 1.60 pitch I can't find that listed in any thread
      book I have. I have never came across that thread in over 30 years of
      working on Asian & European motorcycles.

      Randy
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 7, 2001
        Randy:

        I know it sounds dumb, but yep, it's absolutely certain to be a 1.60 mm
        pitch. It matches up perfectly with a metric thread gage of this pitch. This
        would be an Italian gunbuilder's thread of some sort. It appears to be a
        normal 60 degree metric thread form, cut slightly deeper and sharper than
        our Unified National thread, as one would expect.

        MacThomas

        > Are you sure it is 1.60 pitch I can't find that listed in any thread
        > book I have. I have never came across that thread in over 30 years of
        > working on Asian & European motorcycles.
        >
        > Randy

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Jude Miller
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 7, 2001
          macthomas2001@... wrote:

          > I could sure use some help here. I'm trying to reproduce a 1.60 mm
          > pitch metric thread on my 10" Atlas with a QC box. Can ANYBODY out
          > there give me the gear setup and QC lever positions to obtain this
          > thread?

          Don't have the QC, but with change gears you get real close
          with the 32 compound driving 44/36 and the 36 driving 52 on
          the screw. Gives 15 8/9 tpi = 1.5986 mm pitch.

          1.6 mm pitch = 15.875 tpi. 16 tpi may be close enough for
          some uses.

          Best,

          Jude Miller
        • Harold Cook
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 7, 2001
            Unfortunately, Jude, the QC box seems to change everything; at least that's
            been my experience in reviewing the change gear charts. Thanks for the help,
            though.

            By the way, I tried a 16 tpi thread and it didn't quite do it. It was off
            just enough to stop the parts from screwing together about halfway in. I
            suppose I could just cut the thread a little deeper, but then the
            male/female mating wouldn't be so good.

            MacThomas

            > Don't have the QC, but with change gears you get real close
            > with the 32 compound driving 44/36 and the 36 driving 52 on
            > the screw. Gives 15 8/9 tpi = 1.5986 mm pitch.
            >
            > 1.6 mm pitch = 15.875 tpi. 16 tpi may be close enough for
            > some uses.
            >
            > Best,
            >
            > Jude Miller
          • Jude Miller
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 7, 2001
              I don't have a QC, but I do have Manual of Lathe Operation.
              Make a gear assembly 44/36. Set your QC for 26 tpi. Install
              the 44/36 assembly with compound 32 driving 44 and 36 driving
              QC gears through an idler. Should get you 1/2 * 44/36 * 26
              = 15 8/9 tpi. This is based on the description in the manual
              for the 12" QC.

              Best,

              Jude Miller

              Harold Cook wrote:

              > Unfortunately, Jude, the QC box seems to change everything; at least that's
              > been my experience in reviewing the change gear charts. Thanks for the help,
              > though.
              >
              > By the way, I tried a 16 tpi thread and it didn't quite do it. It was off
              > just enough to stop the parts from screwing together about halfway in. I
              > suppose I could just cut the thread a little deeper, but then the
              > male/female mating wouldn't be so good.
              >
              > MacThomas
              >
              > > Don't have the QC, but with change gears you get real close
              > > with the 32 compound driving 44/36 and the 36 driving 52 on
              > > the screw. Gives 15 8/9 tpi = 1.5986 mm pitch.
              > >
              > > 1.6 mm pitch = 15.875 tpi. 16 tpi may be close enough for
              > > some uses.
              > >
              > > Best,
              > >
              > > Jude Miller

            • Harold Cook
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 8, 2001
                Jude:

                I tried it tonight and it worked like a champ. Thanks for the assist -
                MacThomas

              • anthrhodes@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 8, 2001
                  In a message dated Fri, 08 Jun 2001 01:05:51 -0000, MacThomas wrote:

                  << I could sure use some help here. I'm trying to reproduce a 1.60 mm pitch
                  metric thread on my 10" Atlas with a QC box. Can ANYBODY out there give me
                  the gear setup and QC lever positions to obtain this thread? >>

                  If you have the Atlas Manual of Lathe Operations, look in the Thread Cutting
                  on the 12" QC section (Page 130 in my copy). There is no 1.6 mm. pitch listed
                  but there is a setup for 0.8 mm. pitch. Try this gear train but set the
                  levers in the "A" and "4" positions (instead of "B" and "4").

                  (All settings using the "A" position should be twice the pitch of those using
                  the "B" position.)

                  If you don't have the manual and you really do need 1.6 mm. pitch tell me and
                  I'll list it for you.

                  Anthony
                  Berkeley, Calif.
                • Harold Cook
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 9, 2001
                    Well, duh.

                    Why didn't I think of that? Now I'm embarrassed.

                    Thanks.
                    MacThomas