[atlas_craftsman] Re: MT 0 centers

  • Ted
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 1999
      I should be able to make the part you want and have it hardened.

      I might need a used one to work from or a blue print to go from.
      I lust got laid off so I may have some time to work on some of that stuff.

      Ted, in Tacoma Washington.

      spring@... wrote:

      > "j tiers" <jtier-@...> wrote:
      > original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/atlas_craftsman/?start=1054
      > > A word of warning in case you are looking for MT 0 centers for your AA. I bought some from Mr Herman some time ago. (He is the best source of AA parts) I recently used one of the new ones in the tailstock, and was unpleasantly surprised to find that despite lots of oil, and care not to tighten too far, it was worn badly by one use. I also noticed that a file would cut it like butter.
      > > Apparently they are not hardened. The original ones were, I still have one, the other had to be ground out of the spindle. It was harder than %$#@(*^.
      > > Not everything is quite what it should be. A tailstock center needs to be hardened or it will wear out fast. His are not.
      > > Jerry
      > >
      > > I read your note with interest, as I have only one MT#0 center with my recently purchased AA lathe, and have been looking for another one and perhaps a live one for the tailstock. I ordered one from Sherline, but discovered their centers are about half the length required for the AA. Who is Mr. Herman? How do I contact him? I'm wondering if I should just try to make my own, but I expect I would have the same problem, too soft for good work. Does anyone make the small centers the AA requires nowadays?

      > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/atlas_craftsman
    • Buckshot
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 1999
        Hello, All,

        I have a question for you. This may relate to availability and
        I have just not had to face it due to my lathe.

        Why are you considering using "dead" tailstock centers at all?

        Why not a ball bearing live dead center? Are they not available
        for the lathe in question? I am not at all familiar with the AA
        lathes, I have an Atlas Model 3996 12" X 36" lathe.

        Thanks,
        Buckshot
        Tim Tucker

        %$#@(*^.
        > > > Not everything is quite what it should be. A tailstock center
        needs to be hardened or it will wear out fast. His are not.
        > > > Jerry
        > > >
        > > > I read your note with interest, as I have only one MT#0 center with my
        recently purchased AA lathe, and have been looking for another one and
        perhaps a live one for the tailstock. I ordered one from Sherline, but
        discovered their centers are about half the length required for the AA. Who
        is Mr. Herman? How do I contact him? I'm wondering if I should just try to
        make my own, but I expect I would have the same problem, too soft for good
        work. Does anyone make the small centers the AA requires nowadays?

        > > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/atlas_craftsman

        > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/atlas_craftsman

      • Ronald Thibault
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 1999
          At 05:15 PM 10/1/99 -0400, you wrote:
          >Hello, All,
          >
          >I have a question for you. This may relate to availability and
          >I have just not had to face it due to my lathe.
          >
          >Why are you considering using "dead" tailstock centers at all?
          >
          >Why not a ball bearing live dead center? Are they not available
          >for the lathe in question? I am not at all familiar with the AA
          >lathes, I have an Atlas Model 3996 12" X 36" lathe.
          >
          >Thanks,
          >Buckshot
          >Tim Tucker

          The smallest I can remember seeing is MT #1. I just looked in the MSC
          catalog and MT #1 is the smallest they list.

          Ron Thibault
          North Augusta, SC USA

          Builder Miinie #2
          Captain R/C Combat Ship USS Arizona
          http://members.toast.net/thibault/
        • J Tiers
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 1999
            Sherline lathe has a MT0 tailstock. The #1191 live center is $35.00 from
            Sherline (list).
            http://www.sherline.com
            I didn't buy one because I am only spending money on tooling for my 10"
            Logan. The AA is not worth the effort to me anymore, although I have made
            some Logan parts on it.
            Jerry