[atlas_craftsman] Re: Tailstock Question

  • Harry Wade
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 27, 1999
      At 06:57 AM 9/27/99 -0500, you wrote:
      > I'm currently restoring an Atlas 12x36 lathe. My question is: How
      >do you disassemble the bushing(?) at the end wheel end of the tailstock? I
      >have the quill out and the parts list is really not clear as to how this all
      >fits together. Am I missing a roll pin somewhere? There is a slot running
      >cross-ways on the wheel end, is this threaded in to the tail stock? Thanks
      >for your help. Tony

      Tony,
      Illustrations in parts lists and the presence of the slot suggest that
      the bushing is threaded in but I have rebuilt four Atlas/Crafts lathes over
      the years and have never been able to remove it from any of them so I don't
      know for sure. I stopped my attempts at removing them when it appeared
      that damage to either the bushing or the tailstock casting was imminent.
      I left all of them in and never felt any of the machines suffered from it.

      Regards,
      Harry Wade
      Nashville Tn
    • TONY PONTO
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 27, 1999
          At 08:21 PM 9/27/99 -0700, you wrote:
          >I TOOK A CLOTH AND A PAIR OF VISE GRIPS

          Vice grips!!! Aaaarrrggh!
        • larry,glenda,bradley
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 27, 1999
            I HAVE THE CRAFTSMAN/ATLAS LATHE AND THE END OF MY TAIL STOCK SCREWS OUT.
            REGULAR LEFT HAND THREADS. I TOOK A CLOTH AND A PAIR OF VISE GRIPS AND WITH
            A SLIGHT TAP IT CAME RIGHT OUT.
            At
            07:18 AM 9/27/1999, you wrote:
            >At 06:57 AM 9/27/99 -0500, you wrote:
            >> I'm currently restoring an Atlas 12x36 lathe. My question is: How
            >>do you disassemble the bushing(?) at the end wheel end of the tailstock? I
            >>have the quill out and the parts list is really not clear as to how this all
            >>fits together. Am I missing a roll pin somewhere? There is a slot running
            >>cross-ways on the wheel end, is this threaded in to the tail stock? Thanks
            >>for your help. Tony
            >
            >Tony,
            > Illustrations in parts lists and the presence of the slot suggest that
            >the bushing is threaded in but I have rebuilt four Atlas/Crafts lathes over
            >the years and have never been able to remove it from any of them so I don't
            >know for sure. I stopped my attempts at removing them when it appeared
            >that damage to either the bushing or the tailstock casting was imminent.
            >I left all of them in and never felt any of the machines suffered from it.
            >

            >Regards,
            >Harry Wade
            >Nashville Tn

            >eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/atlas_craftsman

          • Ronald Thibault
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 28, 1999
              At 10:05 PM 9/27/99, you wrote:
              >At 08:21 PM 9/27/99 -0700, you wrote:
              >>I TOOK A CLOTH AND A PAIR OF VISE GRIPS
              >
              > Vice grips!!! Aaaarrrggh!

              Harry;
              Vise grips on lathe parts may have been a bit extreme, but the fact
              that it has left hand threads is a useful bit of knowledge. On the other
              hand vise grips have been used by myself on many occasions to remove bolts
              of all types over the years!

              Speaking of left hand threads. Does anyone know if the crossfeed
              screw bushing on the carriage of the newer style Atlas (with power cross
              feed) is right or left hand threads? I have a carriage with the crossfeed
              screw broken off an I need to remove the bushing to get the screw (with the
              gear attached) out to replace it.

              Ron Thibault
              North Augusta, SC USA

              Builder Miinie #2
              Captain R/C Combat Ship USS Arizona
              http://members.toast.net/thibault/
            • Jim Irwin
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 28, 1999
                Ron,

                Just checked my late 40's 10 in Atlas with QC & Auto cross feed and the
                screw is lefthand, either Acme or square.

                Jim Irwin
              • Ronald Thibault
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 28, 1999
                  At 10:32 AM 9/28/99 -0500, you wrote:
                  >Ron,
                  >
                  >Just checked my late 40's 10 in Atlas with QC & Auto cross feed and the
                  >screw is lefthand, either Acme or square.
                  >

                  >Jim Irwin

                  Jim;
                  Thank you, but I meant the thread on the bushing that the feedscrew
                  rides in that screws into the carriage proper.

                • FLOZO98@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 28, 1999
                    Ron,
                    You seem very knowledgeable about Atlas lathes and I need help. I recently acquired a 10 inch Atlas that is missing the threading gears. I know I'm looking at a fair expense to replace them and would rather put the expense into a quick change gear box. Do you where I might began to find one?
                    Thanks for your help.
                    Fred Lozo
                  • Ronnie Bell
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 28, 1999
                      Well I'm really an authority. Perhaps you have me confused with another person with a similar name? :-)
                      I just use my baby 6 incher that I picked up at a yard sale about 15 years ago for $100!
                      Good luck though
                      r.b.
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 28, 1999
                        FLOZO98@... wrote:

                        > Ron,
                        > You seem very knowledgeable about Atlas lathes and I need help. I recently acquired a 10 inch Atlas that is missing the threading gears. I know I'm looking at a fair expense to replace them and would rather put the expense into a quick change gear box. Do you where I might began to find one?

                        That is a good choice. I broke up some components in the gear train when
                        I had a crash some years ago, and found it was about the same cost to
                        replace those components or upgrade. An easy decision, for sure!

                        I bought my QC from J. C. Boegemann, in Arizona. He's in the FAQ.
                        I paid $500, I think, for the completely rebuilt QC box and covers,
                        fittings, etc. You could also get a used one from Dave Sobel, in Closter, NJ.
                        He's also in the FAQ.

                        Jon
                      • Marty Escarcega
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 29, 1999
                          Atlas_Craftsman Information File
                          Last updated: 5/16/99

                          (Note: This file is sent out approximately once a month for the benefit
                          of the new members of the list)

                          Group E-mail address: (send your e-mail and replies to this address):
                          atlas_craftsman@egroups.com

                          Purpose:
                          The purpose of this list is to share information with each other,
                          about Atlas Metal Lathes and Metal Lathes produced for Sears by Altas
                          and AA Engineering under the Craftsman name.

                          The list is intended for everyone, veteran and novice users alike.

                          Allowable Discussion Topics:
                          Anything that has to do with the specific use, setup, construction, parts,
                          modification, buy/sell/trade of the lathe or any accessories for the lathe.

                          Machining technique topics specific to the lathe are OK. It is encouraged
                          that general machining topics be discussed on the rec.crafts.metalworking newsgroup.

                          Since there will be a variety of folks with different skill/knowledge levels, please
                          respect each other's questions or comments. Let's keep an enjoyable productive
                          atmosphere for all and let's have some good dialogue. As new users come on line
                          I'm sure some questions will be asked again. Be patient and help as much as possible.

                          Machine Models:
                          (I need help here, please send any information you have to build this section)

                          Craftsman machines with model numbers (found on the end of the bed, tailstock side or the middle of the bed backside)

                          AA Engineering produced 109.xxx. AA has long been out of business.
                          Here are some source to try for parts the lathes. Most are used machinery
                          Dealers and they may or may not have parts at the time you call.

                          Blue Ridge Machinery & Tools, Inc.
                          PO Box 536
                          Hurricane, WV 25526
                          Tel. 800-872-6500 or 304-562-3538

                          Meridian Machinery
                          PO Box 536
                          Babylon, NY 11702
                          Tel. 516-777-1317

                          Sobel Machinery
                          82 Herbert Ave
                          Closter, New Jersey 07624
                          Tel. 201-768-9645

                          J. C. Boegeman
                          1464 S. Warner Dr.
                          Apache Junction, AZ 85220
                          Tel. 602-982-8436

                          Plaza Machinery
                          93 Garry Rd
                          Closter, NJ 07624
                          Tel. 201-768-9645

                          101.xxx were produced by Altas Press Co. and are supported by:
                          Clausing Industrial, Inc. (c) 1996
                          1819 Pitcher Street Kalamazoo, MI 49007
                          Phone: (616) 345-7155 FAX: (616) 345-5945
                          Service Center Goshen Indiana
                          Phone: (219) 533-0371

                          There is a man in MI that you can get a parts list for AA lathes and a
                          list of AA lathe owners that have contacted him. With this list there is a
                          list of people who have parts or can make them. you have to send a self
                          addressed staped envelope and he likes to recieve a few dollars for
                          copying everything. Heres his address:

                          Jim Anderson
                          1642 Hillridge Blvd
                          Ann Arbor,MI 48103

                          URLS of Interest: (please e-mail me to add your site if it pertains to Atlas-Craftsman lathes)

                          http://www.clausing-industrial.com/index.htm
                          Clausing Industrial-Supports machines by Altas

                          http://www.atlas-press.com/index.htm
                          Clausing's Atlas Page

                          http://www.mermac.com
                          Meridian Machinery Home Page

                          http://www.paramountmachinery.com
                          Source for tailstocks, gears, accy's for many lathes

                          http://www.villagepress.com
                          Home Shop Machinist, Live Steam, Projects in Metal

                          http://www.4w.com/modeltec
                          Trains, Steam, Model Engineering

                          http://homepages.force9.net/tonygriffiths/atlas/page23.html
                          Pictures of Atlas-Craftsman Lathes Including AA

                          http://chaski.com/wwwboards/machine
                          Home Machinist

                          http://members.home.net/escarcega/metal.htm
                          My homepage (The Atlas & Craftsman Metal Lathe Page) for user's of this group.
                        • Stan Faullin
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 29, 1999
                            I've been adding a bunch of Atlas information to my webpage, so I'd
                            encourage all of you to drop by & take a look. There are some Atlas sales
                            brochures, 12" lathe exploded parts lists, etc... It's under construction,
                            & I will be adding alot more info in the coming weeks and months.

                            I'd like to add more information - in particular, a 6" and 10" exploded
                            parts list. It's expensive and time-consuming for one person (me!) to buy
                            all these documents, so any help would be greatly appreciated. If someone
                            has some relevant info that they could copy and snail mail, please let me
                            know.

                            On my webpage, choose "Other Manf" in the left navigation frame to get to
                            the Atlas stuff.

                            Stan Faullin
                            faullin@...
                            Visit my Old Tool Webpage at http://www.tooltrip.com
                          • Lusen, Fred G.
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 29, 1999
                              Stan,

                              I have a 6" Atlas (Model 10100) that I purchased new in March of 80. The
                              manual has 6 pages of exploded drawings and parts lists. Be happy to copy
                              and send them forth. Fifth even.

                              Fred Lusen
                              Engineering Assistant
                              SpectraPoint Wireless LLC
                              1125 E. Collins Blvd
                              Richardson, Texas 75081
                              972/852-6941 (voice)
                              972/852-6759 (fax)
                              flusen@... <mailto:flusen@...>

                            • gcontreras@abxlogistics.es
                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 1, 1999
                                Tony,

                                I am currently taking my 12" 3990 Atlas appart for a new paint job.
                                Some weeks ago I did remove this part. At first, it was kind of a
                                puzzle as I could not figure out just how it was fitted. I could only
                                see a little slot... In the end I did manage to take the thing apart
                                but I just cannot remember what type of thread it has... I am going to
                                my shop now and I will check the thread type. I will let you know.. I
                                am preparing an article about this job and so far have many snap shots
                                of dif. stages. Will keep you posted.

                                Message 15 of 15 , Oct 2, 1999
                                  At 01:12 AM 9/29/99 -0500, you wrote:

                                  >FLOZO98@... wrote:
                                  >
                                  >> Ron,
                                  >> You seem very knowledgeable about Atlas lathes and I need help. I
                                  recently acquired a 10 inch Atlas that is missing the threading gears. I
                                  know I'm looking at a fair expense to replace them and would rather put the
                                  expense into a quick change gear box. Do you where I might began to find one?

                                  >That is a good choice. I broke up some components in the gear train when
                                  >I had a crash some years ago, and found it was about the same cost to
                                  >replace those components or upgrade. An easy decision, for sure!
                                  >
                                  >I bought my QC from J. C. Boegemann, in Arizona. He's in the FAQ.
                                  >I paid $500, I think, for the completely rebuilt QC box and covers,
                                  >fittings, etc. You could also get a used one from Dave Sobel, in Closter, NJ.
                                  >He's also in the FAQ.
                                  >
                                  >Jon

                                  Another source is Meridian Machinery, I have purchased from both
                                  Meridian and Sorbel with great service! Meridian has a Web Site at
                                  <http://www.mermac.com/>